Another Chris Fix Rust Repair Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know well enough that the only way to fix rust properly is to cut it out and weld in a new panel.

Having said that, I quite enjoyed watching this Chris Fix video from 2017. It had a few tips that I found useful. Enjoy. You'll need about a 1/2 hr to watch the whole thing. I find Chris is not as irritating as that other guy.
lol.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4vusY2-rkQ

Last edited:
That sort of repair will not last more than a season up here. The rust has to be cut off 100% or else it will come back. I've tried various anti-rust paints/zinc paints and such, but nothing has worked to prevent it from coming back. However, I could see some dishonest sellers doing this as a cheapo repair to hide rust before unloading their vehicles.

I filled my rocker panels with anti rust spray and spray foam and followed his vid for the rest.came out great, been well over a year and it will at least slow the progression. For a DIY job it looks good.

Originally Posted by nobb
That sort of repair will not last more than a season up here. The rust has to be cut off 100% or else it will come back. I've tried various anti-rust paints/zinc paints and such, but nothing has worked to prevent it from coming back. However, I could see some dishonest sellers doing this as a cheapo repair to hide rust before unloading their vehicles.

If you cut it out 100% which can be for example almost 1/3 of the quarter panel for rust bubbles on the wheel arch lip and either mig weld and epoxy or panel bonder a nice patch in it can go for many years even in the rust belt. Anything else is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
I did rocker panels (complete inner and outer) more than 12 years ago on one car and they are still rock solid with no trace of bubbling or rust so it can be done. this is the same way they they restore antiques to like new condition.

I am putting this in a car this week, there are bubbles on the rear quarter lip. I will probably use most of it. Hard to get part, 4 weeks from Germany.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
I did my own hack job like this but used JB Weld instead, with some aluminum flashing. Got a couple years out of it, I didn't care about cost as I just didn't want to deal with fiberglass (don't like the smell). But when I was done I did hose the area off with FF and maybe that did the trick.

On that car I did start to spray the topside of the car with FF, some of the rock chips. I'm not sure that dabbing touchup paint really fixes those pesky rock chps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back