Penzoil Platinum Euro L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done some searching on BITOG about this particular Penzoil Platinum Euro oil, however this has to do with the "L" designation in the name of the oil: Penzoil Platinum Euro L. Now from what I can see L seems to be restricted to the 5w30 variety, and the 5w30 is the exact oil I'm looking for.

I understand that the Euro blend is specifically for high end cars and diesel motors, so I'm assuming the "L" version of this Euro oil is intended for other applications in normal cars with gasoline engines as well? Mainly because 5W30 is generally not used in diesel motors or high end cars right?

What I really want to know is if the "L" version 5W30 of the Penzoil Platinum Euro "L" oil is suitable and recommended for normal, no deisel, non-European high end cars and if I can just use it safely and properly in my 2005 Nissan Frontier, or my 2015 Nissan Xtera or even my older 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe, all of which use 5W30 oil.

Has anyone used this Euro "L" version oil in their Nissan or Hyundai? Is the "L" a designation that is it intended for these types of vehicles, and if so what is the actual difference between the Euro "L" and the "regular" Penzoil Platinum Full Synthetic if both are 5W30??

Looking forward to your answers. And BTW, the "L" version of this Penzoil Platinum Euro oil is on sale this week where I live. Curiously, the regular price of the Euro "L" oil is a couple dollars cheaper anyway compared to the regular Penzoil Platinum Full Synthetic stuff.

Yes, you can use it in those cars with no problem
smile.gif

Euro L meets the specific requirements of BMW LL-04, MB 229.51 as well as Dexos 2. It's also rated as SN. Rather than being for High End cars it happens to meet the requirements of some European cars. If they happen to meet your definition of high end then so be it. Being SN you are free to use it in any car or truck.

FD4E1749-F42F-410E-A2DD-0083801F1CB2.jpeg

DB52BCEE-BC7F-482A-ADA6-09C904B4F358.jpeg

Last edited:
Pennzoil has FOUR different 30 grade EURO oils, 5w30 Euro, 5w30 Euro L, 5w30 Euro AV, and 0w30 Euro LX. These oils are typically thicker than a regular 5w30, with the 3.5 HTHS that most European manufacturers require, and thus meet or exceed the various Euro oil specs.

The Euro L is a low saps ( sulphated ash, phosphorous and sulpher ) Euro spec 5w30, safe to use in diesel vehicles with diesel particulate filters ( which need a lower ash etc. oil supposedly ... ). It is also SN rated for use in gas engines, and meets various GAS oil specs as well.

I got a couple of 5L jugs on clearance for cheap, and currently have it in the Mazda 2 and Honda Pilot as a summer oil. No issues, no consumption, and the engines seem quieter when hot. OCI will be under 10 000 km.

Last edited:
The Dexos 2 designation, along with MB 229.51, usually indicate a low-SAPs diesel oil for European diesel cars & light duty vans. It's not going to hurt a gas vehicle, but I wouldn't recommend an extended drain OCI without seeing if the TBN can handle it. The Mopar MS-11106 is the (discontinued) Ecodiesel specification, replaced by CK-4, because of MANY rod bearing failures and resulting warranty claims, believe Euro L 5W30 was factory fill from FCA for the Ecodiesel pickups.

A 30 grade oil is between 9.3 and 12.4 cSt thick at 100 * C .

The Euro L comes in at 12.1 , compared to regular PP 5w30 which is 9.8. The Euro L is at the top of the range for a 30 grade, the regular PP is near the bottom.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

... The Mopar MS-11106 is the (discontinued) Ecodiesel specification, replaced by CK-4, because of MANY rod bearing failures and resulting warranty claims, believe Euro L 5W30 was factory fill from FCA for the Ecodiesel pickups.

FCA moved away from the 5w30 grade, now spec'ing only 5W40 ...

Originally Posted by geeman789
A 30 grade oil is between 9.3 and 12.4 cSt thick at 100 * C .

The Euro L comes in at 12.1 , compared to regular PP 5w30 which is 9.8. The Euro L is at the top of the range for a 30 grade, the regular PP is near the bottom.

So for someone who does short OCI's, which would be ideal? Assuming they all cost the same per 5qt jug? Short OCI meaning 2500-3500 miles.

Originally Posted by geeman789

... The Mopar MS-11106 is the (discontinued) Ecodiesel specification, replaced by CK-4, because of MANY rod bearing failures and resulting warranty claims, believe Euro L 5W30 was factory fill from FCA for the Ecodiesel pickups.

FCA moved away from the 5w30 grade, now spec'ing only 5W40 ...

They moved away from the ultra-low SAPS as well, many of them are running on regular (ACEA E9/E7) HDEO (as I believe VM Motori generally uses in Europe).

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
My VOA on Euro L came in at 12.38 cSt, so you literally can't get a thicker 30wt. If you search Pennzoil Euro L VOA and my screen name you'll find the thread.

Pennzoil say's its 5W30 Euro L is 12.1 @100 if I'm reading this chart correctly. Plenty of other 30wt oils that high or higher.

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod..._SAE_5W-30_Fully_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.pdf

Last edited:
Just get some Rotella Gas Truck on rebate for $11/jug in 5w-30.

It's closer to what you car calls for, with a strong additive pack.

If you need a thicker oil from oil consumption or whatever, Rotella 10w-30 Semi is a tried and true choice.

Thanks to all that replied. So what I'm getting here is that the Euro L should be fine in my non-European motors as it has the SN designation, but the "thickness" of this Euro L is on the high ems of thickness for 5W30 oil. Which may or may not be a good or bad thing.

So I was back at the store I bought it from today and I see the "normal" Penzoil Platinum 5W30 Full Synthetic is also on sale and its actually $3 cheaper per 5L jug than the Euro L, so maybe I should just return the Euro L and get the normal stuff to be on the safe side?

The Dexos 2 designation, along with MB 229.51, usually indicate a low-SAPs diesel oil for European diesel cars & light duty vans. It's not going to hurt a gas vehicle, but I wouldn't recommend an extended drain OCI without seeing if the TBN can handle it.

Even though it's a low SAPs oil, the fact that it has the BMW Longlife-04 certification says to me that it can handle at least moderate OCIs. I might switch my wife's BMW over to this oil in the future actually, and would continue doing OCIs about every 15,000 km.

The Dexos 2 designation, along with MB 229.51, usually indicate a low-SAPs diesel oil for European diesel cars & light duty vans. It's not going to hurt a gas vehicle, but I wouldn't recommend an extended drain OCI without seeing if the TBN can handle it. The Mopar MS-11106 is the (discontinued) Ecodiesel specification, replaced by CK-4, because of MANY rod bearing failures and resulting warranty claims, believe Euro L 5W30 was factory fill from FCA for the Ecodiesel pickups.

Yeah, that was not bcs. of oil, but bcs. of poor design.

Originally Posted by Patman
The Dexos 2 designation, along with MB 229.51, usually indicate a low-SAPs diesel oil for European diesel cars & light duty vans. It's not going to hurt a gas vehicle, but I wouldn't recommend an extended drain OCI without seeing if the TBN can handle it.

Even though it's a low SAPs oil, the fact that it has the BMW Longlife-04 certification says to me that it can handle at least moderate OCIs. I might switch my wife's BMW over to this oil in the future actually, and would continue doing OCIs about every 15,000 km.

BMW LL-04 cannot be anything else but Mid or LOW SAPS.

Originally Posted by sloinker
My VOA on Euro L came in at 12.38 cSt, so you literally can't get a thicker 30wt. If you search Pennzoil Euro L VOA and my screen name you'll find the thread.

Pennzoil say's its 5W30 Euro L is 12.1 @100 if I'm reading this chart correctly. Plenty of other 30wt oils that high or higher.

Plenty that high (all with European approvals). Not many higher. 12.5cst is where W40 starts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by sloinker

Plenty that high (all with European approvals). Not many higher. 12.5cst is where W40 starts.

You are right, I saw many 12.1-12.2 mostly European/boutique. The off the shelf American stuff was mainly in the upper 11's, the Pennzoil leads the pack domestically with its 12.1

So is a 12.1 bad for "normal" car engines that are not European? Would it be better to exchange it for the "regular" Penzoil Platinum Full Synthetic? To be honest, I didn't even realize that I had the Euro L version until I got home. So it's not something that I'm necessarily wanting to try, especially if it's not formulated properly for regular motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back