Amsoil vs Redline Projectfarm video

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys! i know this has been discussed tons but i wanted to clarify something, TONS of people say amsoil is just subpar and the marketing gets them super far, and also tons of people also say that redline is the only true full synthetic or something along with those lines and it has the best base (ester/ether whatever its called ) out of any oil period.

but that just all seems theoretical, i was actually going to try redline because of the "better base" and alot of people love it but i came upon a video and it seems to be that amsoil is the clear winner.

but how come everyone still says redline is better because of the base or how some other oil is true synthetic etc etc

isnt the real world test the best way to find out the best oil? i am talking best oil as in best characteristics and flow rates and lubrication etc, im not talking about long OCI because i always change my oil around 5000km

so what do you guys think?

thx!!

Last edited by a moderator:
First thought:
35.gif
because here we go! Both with the oil discussion and PF discussion.
grin2.gif

Second thought: since you're changing at only 5,000km (3,100 miles), you have no need of either of those oils. Any inexpensive off-the-shelf name brand oil will likely produce the same results over that short of an interval.

Third thought: To answer your question, Redline has a lot of esters I believe, while Amsoil is (or was) PAO. Amsoil has moved to using less PAO, making it more of a GroupIII oil, except in SS which is supposedly still mostly PAO. All the formulae are proprietary, so we don't exactly know what their composition is. Both oils do exceptionally well in testing and will serve well - even at short intervals, where money is wasted on these two. Both Amsoil and Redline have been used by BITOG members, at 16,000km (10,000 mile) intervals with great results, and most times the oil could have gone further. I did a test over 10 years ago (wow so data may not be valid) but ST Syn, Amsoil, VWB and M1 were almost identical at 8,000km (5,000 miles), with the exception of the M1 producing a LOT more iron.

Originally Posted by kschachn
I think this post wins as the biggest troll of the month.

Ya think!

thanks for the reply but thats what im confused about, why do we care about what is the composition of the oil? because in the projectfarm video, redline is said to be composed of better ingredients but amsoil easily takes the title. shouldnt we be looking at the real world testing? in which amsoil wins?

like what benefit does it have to be made out of esters/ether?

thx

thumbsup2.gif
It's high up on the list.

im not trying to troll and you guys can ignore the oci thing, all im asking is:

amsoil is the clear cut better oil then redline according to the unbiased projectfarm test even tho when its made of lesser quality ingredients (pao vs ester/ether) , but how come people still put tons of emphasis on redline being pure synthetic and having a better base but amsoil still beats it, whats the point of hyping that composition if it doesnt win you the title?
thx

Originally Posted by apollo18

amsoil is the clear cut better oil then redline according to the unbiased projectfarm test even tho when its made of lesser quality ingredients (pao vs ester/ether) , but how come people still put tons of emphasis on redline being pure synthetic and having a better base but amsoil still beats it, whats the point of hyping that composition if it doesnt win you the title?
thx

Those "tests" are for entertainment value only.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

thx

Those "tests" are for entertainment value only.

You beat me to it.

isnt the real world test that project farm did the best way to find out the best oil?

NO

Right!...‚

Originally Posted by buster
isnt the real world test that project farm did the best way to find out the best oil?

NO

I prefer the Falex Lubricity Machine when choosing my loob.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by buster

NO

I prefer the Falex Lubricity Machine when choosing my loob.
laugh.gif

I prefer my Hemi 5.7 Lubricity Machine - she says Redline is her favorite lube.

Okay I understand the wear test isn't good but what's wrong with the cold flow test that projectfarm does? Seems pretty real world to me

So I guess consensus agrees that redline is superior to amsoil in engine real world then?

Thx

So I guess consensus agrees that redline is superior to amsoil in engine real world then?
Thx

I was just trying to make a point against "consensus" - shame on me for not being clear enough.

Ok I get it , I took the video too far but I don't understand how the cold flow test isn't a good test. Seems pretty real life ish. I know the other wear tests are subjective but the cold flow test HAS to be important and real world applicable

Ok I get it , I took the video too far but I don't understand how the cold flow test isn't a good test. Seems pretty real life ish. I know the other wear tests are subjective but the cold flow test HAS to be important and real world applicable

Try the same test with Amsoil vs Distilled Water.

hey guys! i know this has been discussed tons but i wanted to clarify something, TONS of people say amsoil is just subpar and the marketing gets them super far, and also tons of people also say that redline is the only true full synthetic or something along with those lines and it has the best base (ester/ether whatever its called ) out of any oil period.

but that just all seems theoretical, i was actually going to try redline because of the "better base" and alot of people love it but i came upon the projectfarm video and it seems to be that amsoil is the clear winner.

but how come everyone still says redline is better because of the base or how some other oil is true synthetic etc etc

isnt the real world test that project farm did the best way to find out the best oil? i am talking best oil as in best characteristics and flow rates and lubrication etc, im not talking about long OCI because i always change my oil around 5000km

so what do you guys think?

thx!!

1) WHo are these "tons" of people you speak of? Seeping generalizations say nothing technical.

2) JMHO, but when did projectfarm become an expert on any oils? Has anyone considered they are only for entertainment value and hold no real technical value?

3) Since no person off the street knows the exact composition of either oil, does it really matter?

4) Is your intention to stir up controversy or is there a real question somewhere in your comments?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back