which walmart 30w oil for mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple older Murray mowers with Briggs engines that call for straight 30W oil. I had been using Castrol 30W from Walmart, except now they don't seem to carry it or any other straight 30 weight oil except for the following. They have Supertech 30w rated SN (not the compressor oil) and they have actual Briggs and Stratton 30W oil in the garden section. Trying to keep things easy and not running all over town to get the Castrol, what's the opinion on the Supertech vs. the Briggs and Stratton straight 30 weight?

Sueprtech 30 is fine.
You can even run a High Mileage 10w30 as well. I run HM 10w30 in my old mower and not noticed any negative effects.

Owners manual doesn't specify what API service category for the four flat head B&S engines I service. All it says is 30 weight is recommended in environments above 32 F. Those engines get all the old 5w30 and 10w30, API service categories SG, SH, SJ, SL, and SM oil. So far no issues.

Briggs and Stratton 30w, 18oz oil is in the clearance section at Walmart for $1.50/18oz.

I used ST HD30 for many years without any problems. However, I recently switched to ST HDEO-30 for all my OPE.

I've been using up partial bottles of 10w-30 in my B&S mower engine for a few years now. Bought the mower in 2005.

Any straight 30 or 15w-40 will be fine. using a 0w or5W oil MAY see increased consumption and that is not a problem if you keep an eye on the oil level.

Originally Posted by FastLane
Use whatever. Most lawnmowers will never know the difference.

Agree. It's a sump. Any oil will work. Just lubricate. No real passageways, like a car has. The mower will never know the difference. They all will work fine and none will shorten its life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back