Brightest Bulbs for ‘12 Camry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We live in one of the highest deer vs vehicle locations in the country. Coming up on fall rut, without swapping anything besides the bulbs, what are the brightest low & high beams bulbs I can get for 2012 Camry LE?

Okay—thanks! So, I'm wanting to replace BOTH low and high beams.
Which are the two models numbers then??
And are Sylvania Silver Star Ultra in those "modified" model numbers about the best ?

The low beams are H11's.

When you put brighter halogen bulbs, it comes at the expense of less life. So, Sylvania XtraVision is a nice compromise and doesn't cost that much.

But, an H9 bulb, with one of the internal ribs trimmed out (to fit the H11 connector) , giving you 2100 lumens, but reduced life compared to a standard H11

Last edited:
keep an eye on your wire harness after doing this, some harnesses will get hotter abd the wire insulation may start to deteriorate, pull back turn black or gooey,

turn the lights on for 15minutes and measure the temp of the harness before and after the mod.

Originally Posted by lukejo
Okay—thanks! So, I'm wanting to replace BOTH low and high beams.
Which are the two models numbers then??
And are Sylvania Silver Star Ultra in those "modified" model numbers about the best ?

Do a standard H9, and there is only one type of 9011, standard Philips. The Wagner ones aren't as good.

A halogen or even aftermarket LED setup will not come close in comparison, to a proper HID setup in terms of usable lumens. I convert every vehicle we buy and most of my family members vehicles, purely under the guides of safety.
By proper I mean using the correct lenses, which are projectors and not going over 5000k in color temp. A proper HID setup will light up an entire fpptball feild, yet you can stare directly at the light without blinding yourself. You will never even consider driving a vehicle with halogens again after you drive an HID equipped vehicle.

Last edited:
Even something as cheap as this setup, will change your life during night driving! (They do look nice as well in a car)
Below is a low cost version of a decent HID setup, you can indeed spend more, however evennthe kit below will absolutely amaze you and make night driving 100x safer. They do make a factory HID setup for ypur car BTW. It is the same kit found in the Lexus ES series which I believe is a Phillips ballast and a dosram capsule. Which means you could pull the kit out of any Lex ES series at a junkyard and buy the helow housings, if you wanted.

HOUSINGS:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303101913658

HID KIT:
https://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

Running some halogen GE Megalight Ultra + 130 from Powerbulbs. Great for low beam. Very noticeable difference. I stuck with stock high beams for now. Next I will switch to some LED bulbs which for the price are very reasonable.

Dont waste your time with those silverstar junk or sylvania. The 9011 bulb was definitely brighter than oem but if ur primary issue is best light output/visibility at night, id go with LEDs. I know alot of ppl will say they blind other drivers but ive never had that issue, i was given the high beam treatment more with the 9011 bulbs but the LEDs provide the best lighting at night. The whiter light isnt the best when it rains and there is street light reflections on the road...i have led low beams and OEM high beams. The high beems seem plenty sufficient in my experience. You should also learn how to aim your lights (adjust the beam)

9011 only lasted me a year before burning out
Maybe 6-8 months with the xtravisions/silverstars.
I once had both headlights go out at the same time...drove with high beams on to make it home.

IMO, brighter (and bluer tint) bulbs just dazzle the deer more and make them more likely to stay frozen then jump out in front of you. The real problem is when those SOBs run in packs and you miss the first one but then three idiots follow behind. I had one almost run into the SIDE of my vehicle after I'd avoided a collision with the first.

The best halogen bulbs you can get right now are the Osram night breaker or Philips extreme vision.

Highs:9011 mod. I did this in my Elantra for the lows and they work fine after 1+ yrs. In the highs, they should last a good while.

Lows: I'm usually not a fan of overdriven halogen bulbs but with H11's, you either get those or do the H9 mod. I considered the H9 mod myself but it pulls more wattage and I've heard about lenses melting as a result. Ended up getting Philips XtremeVisions and they're not bad. Still going strong after 1 yr.

I don't know if you have fogs but yellow bulbs/tint help cut through the night in low visibility conditions.

Of course, make sure all your lenses are clear and lights aimed properly.

Originally Posted by wsar10
Even something as cheap as this setup, will change your life during night driving! (They do look nice as well in a car)
Below is a low cost version of a decent HID setup, you can indeed spend more, however evennthe kit below will absolutely amaze you and make night driving 100x safer. They do make a factory HID setup for ypur car BTW. It is the same kit found in the Lexus ES series which I believe is a Phillips ballast and a dosram capsule. Which means you could pull the kit out of any Lex ES series at a junkyard and buy the helow housings, if you wanted.

HOUSINGS:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303101913658

HID KIT:

Actually the ES350 ballast is made by Denso, not phillips. The bulbs are made by Harison-Toshiba, not Osram.

HID's were not available for the North American market Camry's. Japan, Thailand, etc... probably.

the ebay link points to an aftermarket halogen projector of questionable quality of performance.

Originally Posted by wsar10

HOUSINGS:

HID KIT:

Those are halogen projectors, which are different than HID projectors. These are both from a Toyota Avensis. The HID projector has the bigger reflector.

Also, if you go look at Nick1994's post about LED's, I actually removed my LED's and went back to 9011 halogens. The yellower light seems to help in rain and fog.

A554128A-8909-416D-8989-E171D82FC833.jpeg

8106F18D-6C1F-4D20-A22B-4AA9DC3D5235.jpeg

Last edited:
As a general reminder to everyone in the thread: avoid SilverStar bulbs. They're complete BS in every imaginable manner; there's really no reason to buy a SilverStar or SilverStar Ultra unless you like paying more for less.

I did a side-by-side comparison of some Silverstar Ultra H4 bulbs against Philips RacingVision H4 bulbs, and

a) The Philips bulbs were literally half the price of the SilverStar Ultras ($24 over $50+)

b) The Philips bulbs gave a whiter and more intense light than the SilverStar Ultras

----

As far as the OP's question goes, my recommendation would be:

1) Philips XtremeVision H11 or GE Nighthawk/Megalight H11 or Osram Nightbreaker Laser H11, depending on availability and relative price. They aren't listed in any particular order. All will be sizable upgrades over the stock H11 bulbs, as the stock ones are gimped from the start in terms of lumen output as to get you out the warranty period without having to run to Toyota for bulb replacements, and halogen bulbs dim over time. A fresh bulb will give you an improvement; a fresh and true high-performance bulb will give you a bigger improvement. I don't suggest H9 just because that's more work--tab-trimming required, and it runs a bit hotter, and a H9 isn't that much better than a H11.

2) 9011 for the high-beam as everyone else has suggested. Cut a tab, stick a 9011 in there instead of the stock 9005. Witness massive improvement.

Last edited:
hat-tip towards avoiding Long Life bulbs if staying with stock bulbs. While they do last longer, it's a thicker, under-driven filament which slightly compromises focus and color temp a bit. I recall an interesting article on this that the difference in going to a standard bulb can make a perceivable difference.

Originally Posted by meep
hat-tip towards avoiding Long Life bulbs if staying with stock bulbs. While they do last longer, it's a thicker, under-driven filament which slightly compromises focus and color temp a bit. I recall an interesting article on this that the difference in going to a standard bulb can make a perceivable difference.

I agree, and every car manufacturer is notorious in specifying long life type bulbs as stock equipment. Can you imagine how much your "reliability" ratings would tank if the average consumer bought a car and had to replace the headlight bulbs only 12 months into ownership? Can you imagine all the complaints to Consumer Reports, JD Power, BBB, etc.? Americans aren't built to maintain their cars--they expect the car to just work.

To avoid that, Toyota, etc. use long life bulbs, which frankly suck for driving at night. The solution is high performance bulbs, which yes, you'll replace more often. But I think bulb replacement is better than, say, bumper replacement because you hit a deer, or knee and hip replacement because you mowed down a pedestrian.

Originally Posted by Deontologist
I agree, and every car manufacturer is notorious in specifying long life type bulbs as stock equipment. Can you imagine how much your "reliability" ratings would tank if the average consumer bought a car and had to replace the headlight bulbs only 12 months into ownership? Can you imagine all the complaints to Consumer Reports, JD Power, BBB, etc.? Americans aren't built to maintain their cars--they expect the car to just work.

What's more insidious with long life bulbs is, they start out with light output that is likely already at the 'barely legal' minimum.....which then decreases with use. After a year or two, they may still technically work, but I'd be surprised if there weren't a measurable loss of light at distance.

My sister drives an '08 Civic. I was shocked the other night when we went out for dinner. The headlight beam was a dull beige. I asked her if she ever replaced the bulbs, she said no. When I asked if she ever thought about getting them replaced, her answer was 'Why? They still work.' When I said that they were dangerously dim, she responded with 'All the roads I drive on are lit at night, so the headlights aren't even really necessary'. As she drives primarily in the city, I couldn't really counter that with a convincing argument so I just dropped it.

If inspection stations were as diligent with checking headlamp performance/compliance as they were with emissions, I'd bet easily 70% of the cars in my area would fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back