LC20 for VW 1.8tsi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is BITOG now the Alltrack / Sportswagen Club?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The wife's 6-speed is about 2 weeks old. Came with 16"s, now on 225/45-17 on 7.5" wide. I have some 235/45-17 for winter, again on 7.5" wide.

Planning on 0w-40 Pennzoil every 6 months.

great cars if i were lookin a 6 spd man 1.8T AWD would be my choice! you should have put snows on the 16's as wider is NOT better in deeper snow. kuddos for knowing real snow tyres are best as besides going better stopping is better as awd or 4wd does nothing for braking distances!!

Get snows on 16" not 17".
But those cars are absolutely most under-appreciated vehicles on the market. It is just that no one wants today station wagon. Everyone wants SUV, even if it is less practical. The fact that it is 6 speed manual is just icing on a cake.

Ok, I started a new thread by accident. Supposed to reply to LC in a 1.8TSI, but can't find it now!

Anyway, the first set of snows are 235/45-17 Nexen Winguard

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

She'll get 16" snows for deep snow in a year or most likely two, after the Nexens are worn down....they will make great all-seasons then.

Currently on 225/45-17 Cooper CS5 Ultra. I had them laying around after a few 1000 on my beater C240 wagon, which went back to 16"s....BFGs. I know Cooper is a fav around here, but TR finally get around to testing them, and were not kind about the handling. Cushy and good wet grip is fine for my wife.

Still weird, the tread title is not mine.

235/45 is definitely wide. I use for winter on my Tiguan 215/65/R16.
By the way, when you wear out Nexen, they will not magically turn into all season tire. Nexen does not have dual compound like Bridgestone. It will be still winter tire, but without tread.

VR speed rating tells me they are good to go. Cold/rainy is a persistent condition here until January.

[Linked Image]

I think the GSW or alltrack should be the BITOG official vehicle also!! I have a summer set of 235/45/17 as pictured, rides great and the stock size on 16" will work for the hopefully mild winter here... I think you are gonna be fine with what you have although you are giving away some traction for summer use with the 225 size tire, is it any smaller diameter than stock? your speedo off at all? Otherwise enjoy, get a JB4 if you want to enjoy some more.....

JB4 is nice for plug and play, hopefully keeping warranty intact, but if you want to up the power, i suggest APR tune. They sell one with an APR warranty on the mechanicals, its based on the 87 octane stage 1 tune. So that is the tune they consider to be safe to the point they warranty the engine and turbo under APR Plus (999.00?). Or the 87 octane stage 1 tune is 649 without warranty. I went with their base tune that also supports the GTI turbo, and it has way more power than a front wheel drive golf should. I want for that AWD and the 6 speed gearbox.

Love my VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion. Wagons 4 lyfe. Unitronic Stage 2 IS20 AWD beast.

20191016_071101.jpg

IMG_20191012_102815_442.jpg

It will be a sad day when I have to get rid of one (or both) of my JSW's but hoping to get many years of good service out of them. My first station wagons and I am a convert, sad the options are getting more and more limited every year (now including the Golf SW being discontinued in US market).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I really like the Jetta sportwagens.

I have been doing some research for my next car and really like what I see.

Seems the TDI needs quite a bit of knowledge and a bit more maintenance than the 1.8T. Any recommendations?

I am someone who maintains cars, and I like to do a little work myself.

Originally Posted by JustinH

Seems the TDI needs quite a bit of knowledge and a bit more maintenance than the 1.8T. Any recommendations?

Just a money recommendation:
instead of the Jetta or Golf Wagen, check a Passat TDI. Around me there is a big difference: $2-3k
Unless you need the wagon utility.

Check the chairs. Some found it tiring after long drives and found ways to transplant chairs from higher trims.

P.S. the Jetta wagons back seats fold flat. GSW not the same.

Originally Posted by JustinH

The Jetta SW also had the ultra reliable 2.5 5 cylinder. 170 HP and ~175ish ft/lb torque. Its a pretty good powerplant, had some issues in early Jetta years (2005-2006) but by the time the wagon rolled around the issues had been ironed out. I had the early (150HP) version in my 2006 Jetta and I really liked it, that 5 cylinder growl is almost as addictive as the sounds a nice VR6 makes.

VW has a pretty standard maintenance required package and you are correct that the TDI will require extra service vs 2.5 or 1.8T. Fuel filter every 20k, DSG fluid change every 40k and timing belt at I think 110k miles is what will be above and beyond what the gassers require. The 1.8T and 2.5 have a traditional automatic and I believe those are "lifetime" fluid fill units with no set service interval.

One benefit to the TDI that sold me is the extended dieselgate warranty that pretty much covers everything from where I stick the diesel nozzle in to where the exhaust exits until 2022 (for my 2012 TDI). If the check engine comes on for any reason (excluding DSG transmission faults) VW is picking up the tab to fix and putting me into a loaner if repairs exceed 4 hours. For 2009-2014 cars its 10 years from original in service date or 120k miles, 2015 extended warranty is even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back