is a CUV/SUV overkill for everyday use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
we have mostly CUV in our family. Tucson/rav4 /crv. recently bought a ioniq for my son to go to school. presently i am out of town and have a toyota corolla as a rental. it ok and gets good gas mileage. after driving this and the ioniq i have thought that owning a CUV or SUV for everyday use does not make sense. i rarely have more than 2 people in my car and can count on one hand when i have had 4 people in my CRV this year.

seems to me i am jsut dragging s lot of empty weight around with a CUV. thinking of getting rid of the CRV and getting a small car.

so what advantages does a CUV have over a small car for putting around town?

I don't haul around people in my Forester, but I use the utility portion of it more often than not. Hauling my small utility trailer, or loading the back of it up with 600 pounds of concrete mix and bringing along the dog.

Ideally, I wouldn't need the Forester and could get by with a Mirage as a DD

Wife calls her Highlander the Costco Car. I like her having the AWD. Around town I drive my 2-door Jeep because its so handy to get around.

01.gif

Yes, they are!

A hatchback or wagon is just right
smile.gif

If you need something bigger, the Buick Regal Tourx is awesome. For something smaller, the Corolla hatchback

If I had to replace my Accord, I'd be looking for a used, cheap subcompact that gets the best gas mileage as possible. It would be my commuter and runabout car, and would pretty much carry only myself. But it wouldn't work if it was my only vehicle. I own other vehicles for different jobs, like carrying the whole family and/or loads of "stuff."

If money and parking space is not an issue, I would get a mid sized or larger vehicle. They are more comfortable (better seat adjustments+room), get about the same gas mileage as a compact, have more utility and are safer. If you want extra good gas mileage get a hybrid. A Camry LE hybrid or Accord hybrid averages close to 50 mpg. Or a CRV hybrid.

Insurance is often cheaper too, offsetting the purchase price difference.

CUV/SUV are usually 15-20% more than the car equivalent, even on the same platform. So the question becomes, do I get a car or CUV/SUV? Keep in mind that certain models retain their resale value better, such as Subaru's and Toyotas.

I have three people in one of the cars in my signature all the time. Usually my 6'2" sister is the rear seat passenger. Plus I have a home on 5 acres. The VW has a hitch and I've used my Harbor Freight 4'X8' folding utility trailer plenty.

If we could have only 1 car from our stable, it would have to be the RX450h.
It does everything well. Sue sez it gets better mileage than her beloved TSX.

My Tundra ain't going nowhere. It is a my #1 tool.
If I were buying a SUV in the near future, I would take a hard look at the 2020 CR-V Hybrid.

For the matter, a corolla or civic would be overkill as well since you would have all that unused backseat area. Find a good used smart car and maybe you won't feel guilty driving it around.

Buy what makes you happy.

If your decision is strictly utilitarian based, yes. But you have to also enjoy what you drive. Most people don't "need" what they have. I don't need a truck but I wanted a truck. I've driven nothing but economy cars for so many years due to hour + long commutes to work that it was economical for me to own a compact car.

I agree that a wagon is almost the best of both worlds, too bad they're getting less and less available in the US.

I think there's one additional benefit of a CUV/SUV that hasn't been mentioned, it's the driving position. I remember my mom far preferred driving an SUV or minivan for the higher seat and viewing position. It can also be easier to get in and out of compared to a low slung sedan.

Visibility,
Ease of egress/ingress
Ever slightly better crash performance.

Basically it's why people buy the CUV to being with.

The CUV is a SUV with better gas mileage.

A CUV is simply a slightly lifted hatchback. And with any hatchback, you get a very flexible cargo space. Add in the slightly higher driving position, and the option of all wheel drive, and you have a vehicle that works very well for most people.

They do tend to cost quite a bit more than a regular hatchback though ... but the car makers are OK with that.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Drive what you are comfortable in, not what other people suggest.

Comfortable, I agree with. But other people aren't emotionally connected to the decision and can suggest things you didn't think of. They can play devil's advocate and get you to justify your decisions.

Civics and Corolla's have very gradually grown in size in recent decades. For what the OP lays out as his typical mission spec, it does sound like a Civic or Corolla might be a good fit. I lean toward the Civic only because I prefer it's styling better. I know little about the tech specs of either. Certainly can't go wrong with either, very good value retention come resale time.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
after driving this and the ioniq i have thought that owning a CUV or SUV for everyday use does not make sense. i rarely have more than 2 people in my car and can count on one hand when i have had 4 people in my CRV this year.

Exactly the reason why I still haven't owned anything larger than a sedan.
The additional fuel, larger tires, additional expense on awd/4wd maint. all cannot be justified.

Cars have always accommodated our needs.
Just last weekend I had to drop off an exhaust system to be shipped at FedEx.
I was a little worried as the Lexus doesn't have fold down rear seats.
After simply reclining the passenger seat I was able to fix the entire cat-back exhaust system with no hassle.

Originally Posted by WhyMe

so what advantages does a CUV have over a small car for putting around town?

An SUV/CUV or pickup has the advantage of not being an itty bitty econobox. Personally, I'll choose a larger vehicle as a daily driver every time for the sheer comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back