Mobil1 5W30 I can't believe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I went to Canadian Tire to buy 1 litre of this M1 5W30 synthetic and the bill was CA$ 16.29 + Tax = CA$ 18.41 it was the only bottle on the shelf.

I was in shock, but paid it. When at home I noticed that it was listed as M1 Syn Euro
my previous same oil (non euro) used to be around CA$ 8.00. Do any of you know what might have caused the price surge or is this a totally different oil?

Last edited:
Why don't you buy the big jugs when it goes on sale for around $31 ?
I don't think the 1 qt bottles of synthetic oil ever goes on sale. Plus,
the euro grades are always more expensive.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Yesterday I went to Canadian Tire to buy 1 litre of this M1 5W30 synthetic and the bill was CA$ 16.29 + Tax = CA$ 18.41 it was the only bottle on the shelf.

I was in shock, but paid it. When at home I noticed that it was listed as M1 Syn Euro
my previous same oil (non euro) used to be around CA$ 8.00. Do any of you know what might have caused the price surge or is this a totally different oil?

What you bought is probably the Mobil ESP , it's very different than the vanilla Mobil 1.

EDIT: Found it on CT site it's very likely that's what you got.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2KBMW
Why don't you buy the big jugs when it goes on sale for around $31 ?
I don't think the 1 qt bottles of synthetic oil ever goes on sale. Plus,
the euro grades are always more expensive.

+1
I don't know of anyone who purchases the single liter bottles.
Heck, of all the sales they run it's hardly ever on the liter bottles, only the larger 4-5 liter bottles.

That's why you need a stash.

Originally Posted by jbutch

What you bought is probably the Mobil ESP , it's very different than the vanilla Mobil 1.

Yep, that is exactly what he bought, as they have had the new version of M1 5w30 ESP there for $16.29 for almost a year now. You'll also notice it's a one quart bottle, not 1L. The old M1 5w30 ESP Formula was sold in 1L bottles and was priced a big higher at just over $17 per L, but they were clearing it out for the longest time at between $10 to $11 per L (I scooped up a bunch of it for my Corvette)

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by jbutch

Yep, that is exactly what he bought, as they have had the new version of M1 5w30 ESP there for $16.29 for almost a year now. You'll also notice it's a one quart bottle, not 1L. The old M1 5w30 ESP Formula was sold in 1L bottles and was priced a big higher at just over $17 per L, but they were clearing it out for the longest time at between $10 to $11 per L (I scooped up a bunch of it for my Corvette)

I did the same! bought 10 liters of it at almost 1/2 off!

I'll meet you by the border with cheap oil in exchange for cheap pharmaceuticals

Well I took it back and got a refund and indeed it was a quart not even a litre!

Good! I've said it before but get crucified for it. Mobil 1 is over priced and overrated for what you actually get. Just my opinion.

Do you do your own oil changes, which I assume you do, so why not use what is left over from those? (unless you vehicle(s) use exactly 5 Liters?)

My truck takes 6.6 liters and my wife's car takes 5.7 so I always have some oil left over from the true 5 liter jugs of Pennzoil and that is what I use in my 4 stroke snowblower.

Besides, with likely 2+ months away from actually having to use your snow blower, why pay a premium price for any oil when chances are high between now and then that something is going to go on sale?
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by irv
Well I took it back and got a refund and indeed it was a quart not even a litre!

Good! I've said it before but get crucified for it. Mobil 1 is over priced and overrated for what you actually get. Just my opinion.

Do you do your own oil changes, which I assume you do, so why not use what is left over from those? (unless you vehicle(s) use exactly 5 Liters?)

My truck takes 6.6 liters and my wife's car takes 5.7 so I always have some oil left over from the true 5 liter jugs of Pennzoil and that is what I use in my 4 stroke snowblower.

Besides, with likely 2+ months away from actually having to use your snow blower, why pay a premium price for any oil when chances are high between now and then that something is going to go on sale?
cheers3.gif

Vanilla Mobil 1 might be meh, but the ESP version is very different and a very solid oil.

As for using left overs from other oil changes, I agree 100%, that's what I did this year with some leftover PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back