Anybody Run A Different Winter Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a different oil every time I change my oil, what ever is on sale. 0W or 5w 30 or 40. Oil is oil with the same specs. The oils cover all the temp range where I live and will allow the engines to out live my owner and run great when I sell them.

Originally Posted by tig1
This was common 50-60 years ago, not now. No need for that in this age. I use 20 wt M1 year round in temps ranging from +109 to -10F.

I agree, a complete waste of time. Just wondering about those non cold winter days/January thaws that most experience throughout the winter. Do you go out and change your oil back to a heavier weight until the thaw leaves then switch it back again?
21.gif

it's probably silly and not needed, but yes, I run different weight oil per season in a couple of my cars:
Sentra: 5w-30 summer, 0w-20 winter. Jetta: 0w-30 winter, 5w-30 or 5w-40 summer

There is some merit to this coming back for engines that are not spec'ed a 0w oil. Check out this excerpt from the 2019 Silverado Owner's Manual.

Viscosity Grade
Use SAE 0W-20 viscosity grade engine oil for the 5.3L and 6.2LV8 engines. Use SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade engine oil for the 2.7L L4 and 4.3LV6 engines. Cold Temperature Operation: In an area of extreme cold, where the temperature fallsbelow−29 °C (−20 °F), use SAE0W-30 oil in the 2.7L or 4.3L engine. An oil of this viscosity grade will provide easier cold starting for the engine at extremely low temperatures.

When selecting an oil of the appropriate viscosity grade, it is recommended to select an oil of thec orrect specification. See "Specification" earlier in this section.

My plan this year is to switch our Traverse to a 0w30 for December/January/February.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Never.

Back 50 years ago or more we ran Havoline SAE 30 year round. Some people might switch to a 20 grade if the temperatures got real low. My grandfather did during the winter seasons in Eastern Oregon where it does get real cold.

A 5w30 is plenty good year round. If temps are so low that you are concerned, get a pan or block heater.

Straight 30 & 10w30 were probably the 2 most common grades when I was a kid in S. CA.

*From 5W30 to a 5W20 ?
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Tikka
Hi
5W-30 fully synthetic all year around.

I did not realise there was a 'need' to change. Or is this only for extreme climates?

What will a 0w offer in winter that would not be suitable for summer? Presuming off course this or near viscosities are suitable for the engine.

Thanks.

From a practical standpoint, nothing. Summertime temps in N. America make the winter rating (Xw) largely irrelevant. That is to say from a 0w to a 5w and a 5w to a 10w or vice versa. The viscosities at low summertime temps in the above example is not all that significant from one grade to the next adjacent grade, especially when you consider how fast engines warm up in the summer. The viscosity difference becomes more pronounced if say you went to a 15w from a 0w and may be something to consider. Ideally you want a Xw that most closely matches what a) your owners manual states and b) expected outside temps, as these will represent what the engine builders deemed appropriate "cold" thicknesses for that engine build. (the above example does not account for engines that fuel dilute/consume oil.. that's a whole nother discussion which might call for higher viscosities than would be normally considered)

That said you can get into a whole separate ("in the weeds") discussion around (the use of) viscosity modifiers & multi vis oils. But.. keeping it simple, if you don't see temps below -35c, just use a 5w-X year round and don't lose sleep over it.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*From 5W30 to a 5W20 ?
Hi

I did not realise there was a 'need' to change. Or is this only for extreme climates?

What will a 0w offer in winter that would not be suitable for summer? Presuming off course this or near viscosities are suitable for the engine.

Thanks.

From a practical standpoint, nothing. Summertime temps in N. America make the winter rating (Xw) largely irrelevant. That is to say from a 0w to a 5w and a 5w to a 10w or vice versa. The viscosities at low summertime temps in the above example is not all that significant from one grade to the next adjacent grade, especially when you consider how fast engines warm up in the summer. The viscosity difference becomes more pronounced if say you went to a 15w from a 0w and may be something to consider. Ideally you want a Xw that most closely matches what a) your owners manual states and b) expected outside temps, as these will represent what the engine builders deemed appropriate "cold" thicknesses for that engine build. (the above example does not account for engines that fuel dilute/consume oil.. that's a whole nother discussion which might call for higher viscosities than would be normally considered)

That said you can get into a whole separate ("in the weeds") discussion around (the use of) viscosity modifiers & multi vis oils. But.. keeping it simple, if you don't see temps below -35c, just use a 5w-X year round and don't lose sleep over it.

Huh?

Originally Posted by tomcat27
it's probably silly and not needed, but yes, I run different weight oil per season in a couple of my cars:
Sentra: 5w-30 summer, 0w-20 winter. Jetta: 0w-30 winter, 5w-30 or 5w-40 summer

Congratulations! You are correct. On both accounts. It is silly. And it is not needed.

It is one of those things that people do because that is what their father did. But motor oils are a LOT different today than what they were 50 years ago when my father taught me about auto maintenance.

Switched to 0w20 in the dodge Dakota with the 4.7 last winter instead of the 5w30. It started up just like a nice warm sunny day even at -20. I change oil every 3000 because the 4.7 are a possible sludge machine. I figured to go back to 5w30 in the summer. Well i drive 2 vehicles for daily drivers. A soft top geo tracker and the Dakota. The Dakota didn't need an oil change until last month so 0w20 it is. I didn't notice an oil pressure drop with the Dakota on 90 degree summer days so I'm good with the 0w20 year round. The 95 tracker gets 5w30 or maybe 10w40 depending on the time of year. I will drive that in the winter sometimes so Its mostly 5w30. It smokes a little with leaky valve stem seals and has a little piston slap so a little thicker helps.185,000 on the clock. Not bad enough to worry about.

Nope and Yes. I use anything from 5W-30 to a 15W-40 but it's not because of winter or seasonal changes. My sweetspot is 10W-30.

Hi

Thanks.

Thanks for the explanation
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back