Bilstein 4600 (B6) Struts/Shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD. No X-REAS, just the standard suspension. 133K miles on the original dampeners, and boy are they bouncy. The truck is only driven around town, no off-roading.

Would the Bilstein's be an appropriate choice or will they be too stiff?

Last edited:
Look into the 5100 series Bilstein's for your 4Runner. They are an excellent shock; my Tacoma had the 4600's as OEM and they can't hold a candle to the 5100's that replaced them. I had the TSB done for the rear leaf springs 2 summers ago, and replaced my front coils with Toyota OEM parts and the truck rides and handles like brand new with 107K on the odo. If you watch for price drops at Amazon, you should be able to get into a set of 4 from $280-320 and will last 5 or more years depending on vehicle use.

Originally Posted by The Critic
2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD. No X-REAS, just the standard suspension. 133K miles on the original dampeners, and boy are they bouncy. The truck is only driven around town, no off-roading.

Would the Bilstein's be an appropriate choice or will they be too stiff?

Just around town.. i would go with Gabriel Ultras.

This is the best article to read about progressive, linear and digressive shocks:
https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/digressive-vs-linear-vs-progressive-pistons-shock-valving/

I have 2008 GX470. 5100s and FJ springs are the go to cheap lift. I went with the bilstein 6112s coilovers and 5160 resevior shocks in the back. If you have V8 get the 650# springs.

The 6112s are digressive which are great for big woops etc. It's actually the exact wrong profile for me on the east coast where we have a lot of washboards, potholes, etc. I would have been better off with linear set up like OME or progressives.

I put Bilsteins in our Tundra to replace the tired stockers when I first got it.
Lifted the truck a little, flattened out the handling.
That and good rubber make the truck just about perfect.

Highly recommended.

Bilstein 4600 are the perfect choice for that vehicle. I installed some a few years ago on my '04 Tundra, and they were/are a great improvement over the stock shocks. The ride did not really become stiffer as often happens when using Bilsteins on cars.

Where do you find the "series numbers" like the Bilstein 4600 etc.?

I installed the Bilstein H6 (heavy duty) shocks and struts on a Saab once and it was a GREAT improvement.

I shopped for, bought and paid for them but never saw any such 4600 or 5100 type number.

Originally Posted by drtyler
Bilstein 4600 are the perfect choice for that vehicle. I installed some a few years ago on my '04 Tundra, and they were/are a great improvement over the stock shocks. The ride did not really become stiffer as often happens when using Bilsteins on cars.

It's the 5100s that stiffen the ride. Some would say "more controlled" when referring to the 5100s.

The choice for my Silverado would be the 4600s as well.

Originally Posted by Kira
Where do you find the "series numbers" like the Bilstein 4600 etc.?

I installed the Bilstein H6 (heavy duty) shocks and struts on a Saab once and it was a GREAT improvement.

I shopped for, bought and paid for them but never saw any such 4600 or 5100 type number.

The 4600 and 5100 numbers only apply to their truck shocks. Bilstein doesn't use those numbers on the car shocks
smile.gif

Thanks for that.

Help me be lazy and suggest what shock to buy when the "newish" shocks on my 2005 Ranger XF4 age.

P.O.'s repair receipt says they're Monroes but something unfamiliar is painted on 'em.

Yes the 4600 would be a good option for stock height. Unless your truck is lifted then you would use the 5100. Which there are a couple of 5100 part numbers depending on how high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back