Opinion of Husky Hand Tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering a set of nut drivers which would see light duty (anything more than that and I would use a different tool). Home Depot has two sets (SAE and Metric) and it is $30 total for them. They have a lifetime warranty (which could mean until HD changes brands).

General experiences with Husky?

HD won't change brands as I thought they bought them years ago.

I have been using they're metric combo wrench set for years and love how they feel. I now have a 235 piece toolbox for a on the road travel set and love them. If I have a choice today, my first choice in tools.

I believe their hand tools are mostly made by Stanley, one of if not biggest hand tool makers.

They are no better worse than most other hand tools now. The good thing is the Husky name belongs to HD so even if they change suppliers they should still have their warranty. Thats why I don;t buy to much from lowes as their tolls, hand and power, keep changing names.
But the prices are not that great outside a sell for the level of quality they offer. So I don't have many of their tools due to not a good bang for the buck value.

I have a few odd size Husky sockets and have no complaints. I also owned a few Husky adjustable wrenches and they worked about as well as Crescent brand. Overall I dont think you will be disappointed with Husky for light/DIY type work. Especially if you get them on sale.

All of my nice tools made their way back into a work box and I bought mostly Husky tools to replace them.

They see light duty at the house and were inexpensive. I've got no complaints.

They advertise a no question warranty, meaning take the old husky tool in and you can swap it out without any issue. Sometimes you get uniformed staff and have to end up calling the manager to show them the warranty they have advertised all over the tool isle.

Warranty can be impossible for some items they no longer carry, but a decent manager will give you store credit for something comparable.

Don't allow them to record your drivers license number. It will be recorded in the Retail Equation database. If you accrual too many returns, they will ban you from returning items without a receipt.

They're not bad, there's lots better, but not junk by any means. For the most part, priced right, so I guess they're a good buy. I bought their insulated screwdriver sets, on sale for $7 clearance and they are the best insulated drivers I've used. My Kleins don't come out of the drawer any more. I like the fact that HD sells klein, and Milwaukee also, so you have a good choice of quality tools. I've been pretty impressed with the new Milwaukee hand tools.

Thanks all. I picked up both sets yesterday and saved 10% by using a Lowe's coupon at HD. I used them on some worm hose clamps and seem to be decent quality.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
You know what else is nice? The made in Taiwan Kobalt wrenches. Some stores are clearing them out and they're a bargain.

Are they just making room for Craftsman?

Either way, I wonder what that means for warranty exchanges.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
You know what else is nice? The made in Taiwan Kobalt wrenches. Some stores are clearing them out and they're a bargain.

I'm not sure. Some seem to be getting rid of Kobalt entirely, with everything blue marked down with yellow tag clearance stickers. Other stores have nothing discounted. Some stores are in between.

Personally, I'd never buy a tool that I thought I'd need the warranty on so I didn't even think of it.

I'm not sure. Some seem to be getting rid of Kobalt entirely, with everything blue marked down with yellow tag clearance stickers. Other stores have nothing discounted. Some stores are in between.

Personally, I'd never buy a tool that I thought I'd need the warranty on so I didn't even think of it.

I agree if you buy quality, you shouldn't have to, but it's nice to know the manufacturer backs their products.

I agree if you buy quality, you shouldn't have to, but it's nice to know the manufacturer backs their products.

Agreed. My sister bought me a Craftsman ratchet back in the early '80s when I just got out of tech school. Used it for decades until it couldn't be rebuilt anymore. It finally just wore out.
Of course, the replacement I got a few years ago was junk. It also had all the lawyer warnings engraved in the handle, unlike the original.

I have a Husky set that's 3/8 and 1/4. shallow and deep, metric and fractional all in one case. Some goofy limited edition black chrome. I bought it in 2003 to keep at work. Amazingly, I haven't lost a single piece and it's surprisingly good quality.
Can't speak for new stuff. I don't have any.

I found a set of three Husky full polish, fine tooth ratchets for like 75% off at a home supply discount store. Open box item.

Too cheap to pass up. Turns out they're excellent. Far nicer to use than the old-school, classic Craftsman ratchets I have.

Originally Posted by ethnix
They advertise a no question warranty, meaning take the old husky tool in and you can swap it out without any issue. Sometimes you get uniformed staff and have to end up calling the manager to show them the warranty they have advertised all over the tool isle.

Warranty can be impossible for some items they no longer carry, but a decent manager will give you store credit for something comparable.

Don't allow them to record your drivers license number. It will be recorded in the Retail Equation database. If you accrual too many returns, they will ban you from returning items without a receipt.

UPDATE TO OLD THREAD:

I was recently asked for my drivers license # at HD for a return and I had also heard that there was somewhere a database of return history. Well, I do HVAC work and buy A LOT of supplies at HD. I can tell you FOR SURE, that if this is true, they will lose my business. I asked and they girl seemed unaware of what I might be alluding to, but said it was just store policy. She may be actually correct, as I have bought several cordless tools there and returned them. For instance I bought and returned two Rigid Octane dril/driver sets that the drill could not hold onto the bits, no questions asked returns, although I did show the girl what was happening and she was amazed and had one of her male co workers tighten the bit and watched as it dropped out on the thrid release of the trigger. So far they've been good as gold on returns, so I'm thinking the number and scope of the return would have to be quite unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back