What to see in Philadelphia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Any local Philadelphia people here? I'm going this weekend for a team building event for work and would love. To get some input on what to see other than the usual sights. All suggestions much appreciated. I've never been and only have three days to explore.

I am there at the end of the month and making time to see the USS Olympia, the oldest steel US warship afloat. Striking looking vessel with the dreadnought bow...although she is pre-dreadnought.

There is of course the Liberty Bell, Benjamin Franklin's house, the Franklin Institute science museum is good...run up the stairs of the Art Museum like Rocky.

The Main Line is interesting, the nicer suburbs and college towns with great local pubs; Narberth, Villanova, Wynnewood, Ardmore...

Have fun.

Originally Posted by Zolton
University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology

It rivals some of the best collections anyplace.

https://www.penn.museum/visit/plan-your-visit

Honorable mention to Franklin Insitute and Muuder Museum

If you go to the Museum of Art, save some time for the skatepark & Boathouse Row

The Mutter Museum gave me nightmares...….but you are correct, it is worth seeing.

The newest museum is The Museum of the American Revolution. Chemical Industry Museum is free, if you like chemistry. Rodin Museum. Dalessandros's Cheesesteak on Henry Ave, not near all the museums.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
What about the steps in the scene from Rocky?

That's the Art Museum, that was mentioned earlier.

……..
Mummers Museum, annual new years day tradition for the Mummers parade.

Get some cheesesteaks, not the Pat's/Genos, that's for tourists. Go to a place like Tony Luke's.

Not too far from the Art Museum is Eastern State Penitentiary. Perfect for Halloween season

Reading Terminal Market for food, just be prepared they close at 5 and at lunch time it can be overwhelming. Tony Luke's or Steve's Prince of Steaks for cheesesteaks, avoid Pat's/Geno's as mentioned. Museum of the American Revolution, National Constitution Center, Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, The Franklin Institute and Art Museum amongst others.

Originally Posted by Macsignals
Reading Terminal Market for food, just be prepared they close at 5 and at lunch time it can be overwhelming. Tony Luke's or Steve's Prince of Steaks for cheesesteaks, avoid Pat's/Geno's as mentioned. Museum of the American Revolution, National Constitution Center, Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, The Franklin Institute and Art Museum amongst others.

Grew up on Steve's on Bustleton & St. Vincent.

Navigating Roosevelt Blvd can be a challenge for 1st-timers.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
I am there at the end of the month and making time to see the USS Olympia, the oldest steel US warship afloat. Striking looking vessel with the dreadnought bow...although she is pre-dreadnought.

There is of course the Liberty Bell, Benjamin Franklin's house, the Franklin Institute science museum is good...run up the stairs of the Art Museum like Rocky.

The Main Line is interesting, the nicer suburbs and college towns with great local pubs; Narberth, Villanova, Wynnewood, Ardmore...

Have fun.

I'll second USS Olympia - in addition to being Dewey's flagship at the Battle of Manila Bay ("you may fire when ready Gridley"), she brought home the Unknown Soldier from France in 1921 to be interred at Arlington. She's in excellent condition (above the waterline - she is suffering from years of neglect on her hull - which you won't see).

For the best brewpub in Philly - visit the Standard Tap. Outstanding food. Great beer collection. One of the original "Gastro-Pubs". 2nd & Poplar (Northern Liberties area).

http://www.standardtap.com/food.html

Cheers,

Another vote for Dalessandro's Steaks at the corner of Wendover and Henry (cash only!) - Chubby's Steaks across the street is really good too and not as crowded. You can usually find a spot to park on Wendover.

The second largest shopping mall in America is 30 minutes up the road in King of Prussia, PA if that interests you.

John's roast pork complete with giant pig on roof is one of the more recent sandwich winners in south philly, its on Synder ave right by columbus blvd. If you are just into anything you could do great with a walk down the length of South Street which has tons of shops, bars, great pizza take out window etc.... also there is newer walking paths along the inner water ways now which connects alot of the college campuses down there. Really just depends on what you are interested in. A local radio station is 88.5FM and has their own live music spot and bar restaurant here... I myself would try to take advantage of the weather and skip the indoor museums etc, they are great in winter or super hot weather but they will always be there.

https://xpn.org/world-cafe

Originally Posted by Delta
Originally Posted by Egg_Head
https://www.patskingofsteaks.com/

You won't regret it.

If you have had a real cheesesteak in Philly you know that Pat and Geno's are sub par at best. Look for Jim's on South Street or D'Alessandros on Wendover Street.

This^^^ All of it!

Also, if you can find some genuine Philly soft ptretzels, do so. Not WaWa brand or anything like that. You'll lnow it when you bite into the real thing.

Last edited:
The Liberty Bell is cool and it's free. Hopefully, no lines when you go. I don't do museums. South Street is a lot of fun. All depends what you're into. Will you have a car? Where are you staying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back