G-05 In A GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about switching to G-05 in a 2013 Malibu and a 2012 Camaro.
Hard to figure out what would be the best choice to use after a Flush.

Looking for some input on this.

The (newer) Prestone with Corguard is a phosphated dexclone and should be a good choice for your GMs.

If you have degas tanks (plastic expansion tanks with a radiator cap on top), there's no reason to not use Dexcool. Now, on an older GM application with the worthless plastic radiator cap on the radiator, I would be tempted to use a Dexclone like Prestone Corguard universal, or Peak Long LIfe, or similar coolant.

Originally Posted by kart17
Thinking about switching to G-05 in a 2013 Malibu and a 2012 Camaro.
Hard to figure out what would be the best choice to use after a Flush.

Looking for some input on this.

I would not suggest that particular switch of coolants in your application. The Dexcool is the recommended coolant, so nothing is gained from going away from it. In fact, if something happens that causes you to need to buy a couple of jugs of coolant to refill a suddenly-emptied system, you could have trouble finding the G-05 due to location or time of day.

Full disclosure: I used to use G-05 in my Hemi, but I have switched to Dexcool for the availability and pricing advantage alone.

I switched to G-05 in my older GM ('97 C2500 5.7 SBC), but have kept Dexcool in my newer GMs that don't have the gasket incompatibility issue. 2000 Deville, 2002 Z28, 2005 Colorado, 2013 Silverado all use Dexcool without a problem.

With a 2012 and 2013 you gain nothing by switching. My recommendation is stick with the Dexcool.

While I think with a complete system flush G-05 would be ok, I don't think it any better than the spec'd DexCool. So unless you have a specific brand you like, I'd go with least expensive full strength DexCool AF you can find.

I doubt you will run into trouble going to G-05. You may have a good reason to change to it or you may just want to. So I doubt it is going to be a problem if you do. Let's just say I would do it. My son dumped the coolant out of his Dodge vehicle and flushed it well and put in G-05 that I had around. He was short on some cash and I said if he could use it then lets change it out with what is in my stash. He did and is happy.

Like others said there's really no point. No advantage. The Dexcool problems were solved almost 20 years ago changing the cooling system design. But if you insisted I would choose an Asian long life coolant. Imo g-05 is a downgrade to Dexcool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back