Mercon ULV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, one more fluid for us to stock. Now we have Type F, Mercon V, Merson CP, Chain Type CVT, Premium ATF (T-IV/3309), FNR5 (Mazda M5), Mercon LV, Dual Clutch fluid, and now Mercon ULV.

Originally Posted By: meborder
Don't forget your Transfer Case Fluid ....

Also Full Synthetic Manual fluid. Plus we are a Mazda dealer so all of the fluids for them as well.

Here is something that makes sense (Re: GM 10 speed):

Quote:
Additionally, the internal thermal bypass allows the transmission to warm up faster to its optimal operating temperature, further contributing to fuel efficiency.

I also find it interesting that step-shift transmissions seem to be continually developed with more gear ratios and incorporated in greater number than CVT's.

While CVT's are "theoretically" more efficient than step-shift transmissions, their implementations have not lived up to their expectations for reliability.

Last edited:
I wonder when a company will make an AFT equivalent to Motorcraft's Mercon ULV? I'm guessing it is just a lower viscosity ATF to their LV. Anyone think Redline or Amsoil will make one?

Right.

It is a 4.5cSt@100C fluid which has a lower viscosity than an LV of 5.9cSt@100C and which is lower than the older DexIII/Mercon fluid of 7.2cSt@100C.

They're actually using 4.5 cst ATF Now?
crazy2.gif

I heard some talk about it on here, but I didn't know it was actually in service now!

Originally Posted by kstanf150
It's all for CAFE reg's and lower transmission life

Not quite. It does increase mpg very slightly but it does not equate to lower transmission life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule

Not quite. It does increase mpg very slightly but it does not equate to lower transmission life.

With sealed transmissions and so called life time fluid
Transmissions are failing as much or more than I can recall in along time. I have friends with new vehicles that are having tranny problems even before the warranty period is over. Thinner fluid is only gonna to make this worse

Last edited:

Transmissions are failing as much or more than I can recall in along time. I have friends with new vehicles that are having tranny problems even before the warranty period is over. Thinner fluid is only gonna to make this worse

You might want to show some stats from a respectable automotive maintenance site listing the number of transmission failures with OEM transmission types and fluids from say 1975 to to 2018.

Without that data you can't make the claim you have made.

You might want to show some stats from a respectable automotive maintenance site listing the number of transmission failures with OEM transmission types and fluids from say 1975 to to 2018.

Not gonna waste my time digging up old crap when I see it before my own eyes
Just because you don't what to believe it
Your disbelieve is not my problem

You know what opinions are like ???
Everybody's got one

My question back to you sir
Can you prove I'm wrong
????!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Molakule

It's all for CAFE reg's and lower transmission life Not gonna waste my time digging up old stuff when I see it before my own eyes

It is not a matter of belief but a matter of data and facts.

You made the claim so you need to support that claim with other than hearsay or unsubstantiated observations.

It's all for CAFE reg's and lower transmission life Not gonna waste my time digging up old stuff when I see it before my own eyes

You made the claim so you need to support that claim with other than hearsay or unsubstantiated observations.

Again I say
You can't prove me wrong
Can you 🤔

Again I say
You can't prove me wrong
Can you 🤔

Apparently you don't realize how technical discussions work.You need data or some kind of technical evidence to support your assertions.

I.e., You need to prove that your assertions or declarations have any substance as supported by fact, so it is up to you prove that you are correct.

Last edited:
Let's see
The company I work for the owners 2017 Escalade Trans was replace last year at 65K
Owners daughters Yukon tranny was replaced at 75K
Co-worker Ram 1500 tranny was history at 35K
And now a buddy of mine 2018 F150 10
Speed is DOA
I'd call that pretty darn good understanding of technical data and discussion I'd say

Reactions: TVH
Let's see
The company I work for the owners 2017 Escalade Trans was replace last year at 65K
Owners daughters Yukon tranny was replaced at 75K
Co-worker Ram 1500 tranny was history at 35K
And now a buddy of mine 2018 F150 10
Speed is DOA
I'd call that pretty darn good understanding of technical data and discussion I'd say

And what is the context of these failures in this small sampling out of the millions of vehicles on the road without failures?

That is, has it been established that the ATF was the sole cause of these failures?

Has it been ruled out these transmissions did not have a design or production problem that caused these failures?

Has it been ruled out that insufficient or incorrect maintenance was not the cause of these failures?

Has it been ruled out that overloaded towing was not the cause of these failures?

I.e, what was the stated cause of these failures?

Conjecture or speculation carries no weight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back