2 Pounds Above, OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put a set of 4 new Nankang NS20s 195/50 R16 85V tires on my 2016 Ford Fiesta SE. It rides nice, perhaps a bit hard. They put 37 PSI in them which is 2 pounds over the recommendation on the door frame sticker. That's not enough to cause them to wear uneven is it?
I don't mind the hard ride. They feel pretty good.

Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
I put a set of 4 new Nankang NS20s 195/50 R16 85V tires on my 2016 Ford Fiesta SE. It rides nice, perhaps a bit hard. They put 37 PSI in them which is 2 pounds over the recommendation on the door frame sticker.

I have a similar type car that says 35 psi with 205/55R16 tires. With even less of an aspect ratio I can only imagine the rough ride esp on Nankang tires. I'd lower those to 35 then just top them off to 35 every so often.

Your tire pressure will vary more than that with the change in seasons, or when/if the tire is sitting in direct sunlight or not. With weather getting colder, I suggest leaving it alone and when you check it in December, you'll likely find it's a bit below the 35 you're looking for.

This ^ When the cold shock hits in a week or so you'll lose 2 to 4 #'s.

It's approx 1 # psi per 10 deg f.

How do even you know they're 37 PSI? Your gauge could be off as much as that.

Tire pressure varies a bit depending on the ambient temperature and whether your tires are cold, or warm (from driving). The indicated pressure will be closer to 35 psi (on your gauge) when it gets cold outside.

Anyway, no worries. Drive on.

Too high is always better than too low

High = better mpgs & stuff ride
Low = excess wear and blowouts

Also you should check cold pressure early in the morning before driving

Originally Posted by atikovi
Your tires will explode when you hit 70.

You forgot the smiley.

I run a higher pressure in my car since I want the ride to be firmer. The recommendation from Buick is 32psi unless driving at sustained speeds over 100mph then they say 36psi. But...the Euro version of my car by Opel or Vauxhall have different pressures for different needs.

32psi comfort With up to 3 people
39psi eco with up to people
38/42psi with a full load

I like somewhere between 35-38psi.

Run whatever pressure you want but dont go under the minimum when cold, and don't go above the max on the sidewall of the tire, cold.

That size tire is rated at 981 lbs at 29 psi , and 1074 lbs at 35 psi.

You could run those at a much lower psi with no issues, especially on a very small and light Ford Fiesta.

I'm surprised they haven't exploded yet. Best bet is to remove all extra air or risk catastrophic failure and possible death or dismemberment.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Your tires will explode when you hit 70.

Your sarcasm is a often times a bit too much and may confuse unsuspecting readers here.
I've noticed that you do sometimes make helpful or constructive replies, but not often enough, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back