Genarator - Inside or Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking for some advice on leaving the generator outside. I was thinking of building a platform to keep rain / snow out and some type of roof cover.

Any thoughts?

Small concrete slab and the doghouse as mentioned.
thumbsup2.gif

I'd put a door on either end and open it up when the gen needs to run.

The recent inverter generators are much quieter than the traditional jackhammers. I run mine on my open porch during the too-frequent outages here. I still have to be careful of wind direction, though.

If you build a dog house, the odds of moisture and corrosion are pretty high. Is this for a portable? I'd leave the portable in the garage then drag it out to the (pre-wired) dog house as required.

As far as - while running, I think your idea is fine. I don't think I would want to store it long term like that.

make sure you take the spark plug off and pour in some motor oil and pull handle few times to coat the surface,
garages are high moisture areas.

One of the real advantages of a portable generator is the ability to bring it inside when not in use. This keeps it in perfect shape for the next disaster. Things kept outside are subject to critters such as mice chewing the wires, insects building nests, wild temperature swings and corrosion.

Genny sets under the porch wearing a cover, it has a maintainer pigtail wired up for a occasional charging/ maintaining.

I built a trash bin holder to hold the wheeled trash units and during outages that are weather related - I roll the bins out and place the gen in the covered bin holder.

I have a 30 amp cable that plugs into my isolation transfer switch and I power the house with one cable and forgo 220 Volt appliances during a power outage.

At the house I have 3 sets - a Yamaha 3000iseb, and 2 Honda 2K's with an extended run tank setup (one a companion with a 30 amp connector)

I keep the hondas empty and that yammi full to the brim with vp105,exercise it every 6 months, and keep at least 2 metal not plastic 5'ers on hand at all times.

This gives me about 90 hours of run time on the yamaha at a low load.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back