Bailed on my F-150 work truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't fault the OP's choice either.

I made the same choice on my 2004 F150 over 3 years ago. I had about the same mileage, and it was time to do the phasers/timing chain tensioners, seals, etc...

Using good parts, not Dorman, it was going to run about $700 for parts (and that's me procuring them online). Couple that with the labor expense i I paid someone to do it and it was a $2000+ repair on a 12 year old truck.

At that time,. the body was rusting out at the cab corners and rear fenders, and was starting the descent into nickel and dime territory needing more and more frequent repairs on the drivetrain. It was time.

Bought my 2016 F150 and haven't looked back. That 2004 was the worst of the F150's I've owned (though not the worst I've driven in years of fleet use..)

Originally Posted by gregk24
My aunts 2007 or so Explorer just bit the dust. 5.4 with around 190K miles.

Must be a unicorn since the Explorer never had the 5.4....

Originally Posted by tig1
I have had 4 Ford over head cam engines and none had TC issues. One was a 1996 Merc GM 4.6 V8 with 218K when sold and the TCs were quite. Oil used was M1 with 10K OCIs. Also my sons Ranger OHC engine and my grandsons Fusion are also quite. M1 used as well. Your phazers may be a different issue.

None of those are the wonderful 3V setup on the 5.4 of this generation. Perhaps similar in operation, but this was one of the worst applications of it in the Ford catalog...

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by gfh77665
It is, but I only had it for the past year. Still got my $$ back out of it.

I hear ya. Sometimes bailing out is a wise move. That sounds like the case here.

Yes, especially when factoring in the age of the truck and not knowing the full history of it.

higher miles makes everything wear + more $$$$ for repairs can just be down the road. i feel the nissan frontier is the best value as far as overpriced pick ups go today. depending on your budget + your wants + needs new or preowned is good, but if a preowned slush box truck check the years with tranny-coolant issues. i love my 2011 SV 6 spd manual i found with 28 thou on it. they are still port injected + the proven V-6 is a great torquey engine. + i would conside them a larger midsize truck. drive one + discover haw great they are except a slightly larger turn radius

Can't blame you, those 5.4's seem trouble-prone. If you can get out for what you had in, not bad for a year's usage.

Originally Posted by MNgopher

AFAIK, the Explorer of that era had the 4.6L Mod V8 or the Cologne 4.0L V6.

I came so close to buying a brand new 2004 ford truck in late 03. so glad I didn't. it would be dead from cam phasers and timming chain and sludge by now . my 03 tundra will make it to 20 years easy. florida so no rusty frame issues

Where did the sludge comment come from? I've seen more sludged 5VZ-FE engines than Ford Modular engines. By the way.....A 2V 4.6L was an option for the new body 2004 F150, Probably outrun your V6 Tundra.

Ford never put the 5.4 in an Explorer. If it was a V/8 it was a 4.6

Originally Posted by super20dan
I came so close to buying a brand new 2004 ford truck in late 03. so glad I didn't. it would be dead from cam phasers and timming chain and sludge by now . my 03 tundra will make it to 20 years easy. florida so no rusty frame issues

I have an 04 ford 4.6 with 241k, engine purrs like a kitten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back