Coil spring boosters for towing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Are coil spring boosters safe to use to lift up the rear of the car when towing heavy loads?

I have used many types of spring boosters/helpers(coil & leaf) with decent success and they're an inexpensive way to go. Keep in mind that the Boosters/Helpers have their limits.

I especially like the rear leaf spring helpers. Easy to install/remove & position with many options for additional added weight. They don't necessarily raise up the vehicle much but do help them from squatting as much as without them.

Why not just replace the rear coils with cargo coils? You don't want to lift up beyond but maintain your proper ride height which the cargos will do.

Last edited:
Take a look at TIMBREN SES. I put them on a 2004 Yukon XL & a 1999 GMC Sierra. They worked for me.

Timberins are they way to go, they don t affect ride until weight is added,then very good,got them in my 04 /01 gm 1500 pick ups.

For years I ran air shocks on my F-150, and they worked great. They finally, (after about 15 years), started to leak, and not hold air. They were Rancho's. I bought a new set, but afterward I didn't feel like crawling around underneath the vehicle replacing air lines, so instead I just went and installed a set of regular heavy duty rear shocks. The air shocks are still in the box, waiting installation.

When we moved, I wish I would have taken the time to install them. Because I made a couple of trips with a 12' U-Haul box trailer, loaded up with a lot of tongue weight. Which caused the back end to squat down quite a bit. The truck drove OK, but I miss not having air shocks. When these shocks start to go, I'm putting the air shocks on.

I'm a big fan of air springs, either the Air-Lift ones that slip inside coils or the Firestone Ride-Rite external ones for leaf spring applications. You just adjust the air pressure to whatever you need to carry. I have a set of Air-Lifts on deck for the MGM once things cool off around here a little.

I'd think air springs, with a fill line put someplace easy to add air to. That way you could inflate/deflate as needed.

But do watch out that you don't wind up overloading.

I'd think in general they'd be safe. If you're under the weight limit then you are restoring ride height. I don't see a problem outside of losing a que that you should be driving more gently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back