Need new push mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new trim mower. I cut about 2.5 acres with a z turn then do trimming with the push mower. I am thinking of just a staight up large rear wheel push mover. I do need to cut a pond bank where I will be going back and forth a lot. The lighter the mower the better. Wished I could get a new 2 cycle but that won't happen.
Here are a couple of mowers I am looking at. I am trying to stay away from chinese engines.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lawn-Bo...lk-Behind-Gas-Lawn-Mower-10736/205665764

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Troy-Bi...TriAction-Cutting-System-TB160/306935884

Any other lawn mower I should look at? You sure pay a premium for honda engine. A B&S will suit me fine if 160cc and above. I am liking the lawn boy. Trying to figure out what more I am getting for $60 over the Troy built.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Re...s_Non_HDhome-_-304781979-_-303040740-_-N

This is another choice. I need to do a road trip to compare. According to specs if right the toro is the lightest one. Looks like they all use the same wheels.

Last edited:
GET the Troy Bilt. The handle shape on that Troy Bilt makes it better to push. I bought my younger sister a Cub Cadet with the same rear handle shape and a Honda engine and really like it.
Trust me on this.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have the same Troy-Bilt w/ Honda engine mower that you have linked that I bought in 2008-ish for $269. It's been a great mower, for the last 6-7 years it's been relegated to mowing knee high grass, brush, basically any crap my riding mower can't go through. So it's basically been abused. I hardly use it lately so it's sits stored for extended periods and still fires up fine anytime I need it. The Honda is a great engine, IMO more quiet and refined than a B&S or Chinese clone.

Poulans use B&S engines. I've used their lightest mowers (125cc) on 1/3 acre for the past 10+ yrs. As long as you treat the fuel and clean the under-carriage after each use, they last.

Last edited:
bought one at Walmart ,hyper tough . briggs engine , runs great no problems at all used it all summer as a trim mower .mowing about the same as you 2.5 acres...I tried self propelled , don't really work all that well on the rather steep banks,...mulcher, just clogs up way to much in higher grass...forget the bagging mowers , not dumping the bag every few minutes...anymore I just want a basic side discharge pusher , no bells and whistles,,,they get the job done

I'd go check out a couple walmarts for a clearance model.. tons of them around here.

The Sears rear drive we have is three years old and has a made in USA label. The oil looks fine on annual changes. The lawn here is a 3.8 mile walk so it gets used.

Sounds like a lot of lawn to trim without self propel. I personally love the Toro Timemaster 30" mower. It is expensive but when you can cut 30" just as easily as you can cut 21" its worth it. They cost about 1k, weigh more, and have more things to break than a standard 21" but its so sweet. If your ZTR was down and you had to do the whole 2.5 acres with a walk behind you'd be glad to have a Timemaster.

Another good option, Toro Model: 20382 is only 79 lbs and has a Honda engine on it. I like the Toro personal pace a lot, so i would probably buy that over an entirely Honda mower.

If you need stupidly good bagging, Snapper Hi-Vac.

Unless you are buying that mower from a dealer, what you're buying is an MTD, which is the Harbor Freight or Walmart of the industry! Sadly, nearly everything you've known and loved is now an MTD pile-O-doodoo. If it's coming from a big box, it's MTD made for sure, and it's garbage. Google "MTD lawn equipment" and see what brands they own for yourself. All of the brands under their umbrella trade off the history of the brand, it does NOT reflect the brand post MTD acquisition. In fact, you can't even get parts for equipment that is pre MTD acquisition.

Originally Posted by A_Spruce
Unless you are buying that mower from a dealer, what you're buying is an MTD, which is the Harbor Freight or Walmart of the industry! Sadly, nearly everything you've known and loved is now an MTD pile-O-doodoo. If it's coming from a big box, it's MTD made for sure, and it's garbage. Google "MTD lawn equipment" and see what brands they own for yourself. All of the brands under their umbrella trade off the history of the brand, it does NOT reflect the brand post MTD acquisition. In fact, you can't even get parts for equipment that is pre MTD acquisition.

All new equipment is garbage no matter the brand.

I have had many mowers over my decades of mowing my grass.

Late last year I bought a used Toro Timemaster mower. Bigger and more expensive than you need.

But there is a huge difference in the build quality from a Craftsman or Ariens or others and the Toro.

I would rather have a used Toro than almost anything else.

I settle on the troybilt, honda engine, 3 in one high wheel push mower. Going to check HomeDepot ads once a
week to see if they will go on sale. Grass cutting is just about all year down here.10/30 syn will be the oil of choice.

Keep in mind those high rear wheels put more force on their hubs/axle then smaller wheels and tend to get all wobbly over time. Your mileage might vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back