Varnish on Dipstick after 5K OCI suddenly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure it isn't staining from the oil add pack? I remember reading somewhere from one of the boutique oils that certain add packs can stain some metals. I'd rather not mention the oil company to avoid starting a flame war.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Are you sure it isn't staining from the oil add pack? I remember reading somewhere from one of the boutique oils that certain add packs can stain some metals. I'd rather not mention the oil company to avoid starting a flame war.

That could be, I really have no idea to be honest. I hope it goes away though, it just bothers me to look at it. I miss the nice shiny uniform metal
grin.gif

600 miles into this OCI and the varnish on the end of the dipstick is disappearing rather quickly. The varnish on the upper portion is lightening but still there. Will follow up in another 500 or so miles.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
600 miles into this OCI and the varnish on the end of the dipstick is disappearing rather quickly. The varnish on the upper portion is lightening but still there. Will follow up in another 500 or so miles.

35.gif

OK, here's an update. 1400 miles into this OCI and the improvement is undeniable. Not sure if this whole thing was coincidental or what, but Castrol Edge will not go into this vehicle anymore.
Beginning of OCI:

IMG_20130307_081720_zps0e503b4f.jpg

After 1400 miles:

IMG_20130324_095342_zpsebd97d3b.jpg

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Looks great. Schaeffers is doing its job cleaning up your engine!!!!

Yeah everything is going as well as I'd hoped. The VVT-i seems to respond well to the 5w40 as well, as the noise is less audible. Will keep using this oil as mpg difference is not discernable.

Do we have any information on EDGE with Ti and engine cleanliness? Unlike Mobil 1, where there are a lot of videos showing tear downs and testing, Castrol doesn't show much. I'm curious for those that have used Edge long term how well it kept the engine clean.

Originally Posted by buster
Do we have any information on EDGE with Ti and engine cleanliness? Unlike Mobil 1, where there are a lot of videos showing tear downs and testing, Castrol doesn't show much. I'm curious for those that have used Edge long term how well it kept the engine clean.

Back in the 90s I used Syntec in almost everything. Kept all my engines spotless. I wonder how different (if at all) Edge is from the old Syntec?

Originally Posted by Marco620
A six year old post revived??
lol.gif

LOL! I know 4WD was NOT happy how Magnatec oxidized in like 3k and looked royally burnt on dipstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back