2 years and 30K with the Forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I'd share our experiences with this machine and maybe help folks to understand the car's appeal.

As of the last fill-up at 30,660 the car had consumed 1044 gallons of fuel, for a lifetime average of 29.4 mpg with best and worst tank averages of 23.8 mpg and 32.9 mpg, with the worst and best reflecting the seasons in which they were achieved as well as the RVP values of the fuels used. Suffice it to say that I do warm the car up for my wife on really cold winter mornings and that fdcg27 ain't scraping ice when the car can do it for me. About 80% of these miles were accumulated on my wife's rather brutal commute down I-75 toward the 'natti, where traffic is often very slow and there are accidents clogging things up three days out of five. The rest consists of local errands and a few interstate trips.
The driving experience is quite pleasant. The EPS is nicely weighed and offers some road feel and the car makes its way down the road without any conscious need for steering corrections. I've had it over the ton a bit and it's perfectly stable and happy at those speeds. Acceleration is good and the CVT keeps gearing as high as possible at all times and offers a very tall top ratio, so highway cruising involves relaxed engine speeds. The CVT is pretty unobtrusive in operation and is never obnoxious in use. Brakes seem to be strong and smooth in operation. The AWD system is utterly transparent and does the job in bad weather conditions, but world-class AWD is something Subarus are known for. I know that a lot of folks have ragged on the OEM Yokohama tires, but we've found them to be okay in use on this car as they were on the '09 we still own which is now hived off to a DIL and riding on Pirellis.
Ride quality deserves special mention as the Forester is fairly softy sprung and has an uncommon amount of suspension travel. It dances over bad road surfaces nicely and the ride is quite plush as compared to most modern cars. The seats are comfortable and the upright seating position allows plenty of legroom in the rear. There's ample cargo room in the back as well. The high seating position is nice for visibility and this car has plenty of glass and is easy to see out of, unlike many current machines. My wife does like the high seating for this reason. The interior is okay but nothing special. At least the seats are covered in a light grey cloth and the dash is blue with the door panels grey, so the interior seems brighter than the relentless black of my Accord. Then there's also the huge glass sunroof to brighten up a winter's day and to provide welcome air in the spring.
These Foresters were all built in Japan and the car is well assembled with no rattles or other unpleasant noises. The only problems we've had involved the drain line for the AC, which clogged and was cleared under warranty and the car having taken a $5K hit in the rear in the early spring of this year. The dealer repaired the car with all OEM parts and their work was good. While the Forester was laid up we had a new Rav as a rental and it was not as pleasant a car in any way.
Oil consumption remains nil. I put a five quart jug in and drain about that out. Oil changes are recommended every 6K, which seems pretty short by current standards or even as compared to the 7.5K recommended for the '09.
We've been very pleased with this car overall and I'd recommend that anyone shopping a Rav, CRV or the like go and drive one. They are a different experience and the unique engine configuration should appeal to anyone who likes cars. The reduced understeer and better ride alone make this a more enjoyable car than anything else in this class.

I agree with all you have said.as it mirrors our experience. Especially the EPS is VERY well done compared to most all other cars. You really cant tell its not a good, well sorted hydraulic on the road. And Subaru seems to have a knack for good strut geometry as the steering feel is superior to many other mac strut cars. And they seem to use a better Yokohma tire and ours lasted to almost 55K - and could have gone farther if we didn't miss the last tire rotation. I recall the O.E. Bridgestones (?) on or old 2009 were pretty bad in the snow.

The large glass area allows excellent visibility all around and an airy cabin - this in contrast to the "high door door sills and "gangsta chop top" of many other models.

Only nits are I find the seats a little undersized for my large frame, and our base car with the stick seemed a bit bouncy with the new IRS design but that was a 2015 model and they may have made running changes in springs and damper tuning.

We will be looking at the all new one next year - and you can still get a base car for around 23K which is a good deal these days.

We Liked the 2005 Rav4 a lot also and the giant and tall tailgate door. But we are not too wild about the new ones and their silly tall gearing. With only one shift to 60 makes for a slow beast. But I hear they may be going CVT - I may be wrong here .Then the entry cost is a couple grand over the Subaru also.

But there is a new Redesigned Escape out and I thinks its supposed to be pretty good. But Its a Ford
smile.gif

I am not a CVT fan, but those Foresters are popular and relatively trouble-free choices. I am very curious what the next XT pans out to be!

Would you believe I actually had to go out and lift the hood to see what kind of PS our car has before writing my opening post?
It is that good and that natural feeling in use.
Also, you had a rare base model Forester, examples of which are virtually unobtainable.
Comparing apples to apples, the Rav can be had for less money than the Forester, or at least that's what I found when shopping.
Fortunately, wife only wanted a Forester and she was right in her choice based upon our thousand or so miles with the rental Rav.

ARCO, try the 2019/2020 hybrid RAV4 when it is time to shop. I find it to be a fine ride so far. Awesome on fuel economy, comfortable, tight handling, direct steering. Toyota can't make enough of them for good reason.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Danno
ARCO, try the 2019/2020 hybrid RAV4 when it is time to shop. I find it to be a fine ride so far. Awesome on fuel economy, comfortable, tight handling, direct steering. Toyota can't make enough of them for good reason.

It doesnt do well with abrupt maneuvers though.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Also, you had a rare base model Forester, examples of which are virtually unobtainable.

Comparing apples to apples, the Rav can be had for less money than the Forester, or at least that's what I found when shopping.

Is this comparing the RAV w/AWD?
Many shoppers see the base price of one vehicle compared to the Subaru but forget that the Subi is standard w/AWD and others such as the RAV, CRV, Rogue etc are FWD standard regardless of trim level.

Last edited:
The cars I shopped were AWD, since that's a big part of the appeal in this sort of vehicle and is a feature that we wanted.

Wife doesn't want to spend over 23K before trade. So we are limited to the base model - which of course is anything but base these days. Its got everything as far as I'm concerned except heated seats and moonroof and a premium sound system.

I mean what do you want? Cheap leather? NO.
Dual climate control - maybe

I cant think of anything else.

I just cheacked, You can but a Forester near me for 23k all day. But not a Rav4

Now I want to do a search for rav 4 prices !

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Wife doesn't want to spend over 23K before trade. So we are limited to the base model - which of course is anything but base these days. Its got everything as far as I'm concerned except heated seats and moonroof and a premium sound system.

I want XM radio at a very bare and basic minimum.

Nice things I REALLY value:

swiveling headlights, cooled and heated seats, auto on/off high-beams, radar CC.

Stuff I don't care about:

Sunroofs, folding mirrors, hands-free hatch

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Nice to ponder but the way option packages are set up you end up with things you didn't want or need in order to get what you really want.

Why would you want to search for pricing on an inferior vehicle?
Might as well check out Mitsu Outback Sport and Nissan Rogue while you're at it.
Find dealers who are willing to play via email and you'll get a bottom line price on any vehicle.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Would you believe I actually had to go out and lift the hood to see what kind of PS our car has before writing my opening post?
It is that good and that natural feeling in use.

It is a nicely tuned system on these. The EPS had a perfect feel to it on my 2016 Forester. Not too light and not jittery like some can be.

I know we've chatted about this in other threads, but I too have found that base model Subarus of any model are hard to find in my area.

My 2016 was a base, but it had a package which included aluminum wheels, roof rack, splash guards and rear bumper protector. It had some package discount that dropped that from something like $1200 down to $400 IIRC.

I paid like $23700 +TTL and it was pay that or go away. I'd be amazed if you could get a base model for that 3yrs later.

@fdcg27 I installed the 20mm rear sway bar. It apppears better I can't absolutely say..perhaps wishful thinking..lol. . Many moons ago on my 08 Forester I had to swerve very badly and was amzed how well it did (stock). I think its a worth while addition.

I think Subary gives you a lot for your money. My '18XT Premium was $28K out the door.

Last edited:
Foresters are great vehicles. I felt kind of sad driving off and leaving my 67,000 mile 2009 all lonely in front of the dealership when I drove the F150 home June 20th. I had that car 11 yrs. I swear there's something about the "love" thing Subaru advertises.

P.S. Only took 10 days before someone bought it. They got a nice one !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back