Million Mile Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by donnyj08
GM vans drive and stop like garbage compared to the sprinters which handle as good as a modern pickup with excellent braking.
I disagree, the center of gravity is much higher on a Sprinter with it's high roof and high floor. My dad has had both and I have driven both with the exact same steel shelving and loadout and they handle nothing like a pickup, even a GMT400 has more stability in corners. The Sprinter has decent power once the turbo winds up, but that was compared to a tired L31 with 300k km in that old GMC Savana.

2000 G3500 extended v 2017 Sprinter 2500 extended both 2WD.

The Sprinter was the only game in town for like 15 years. The early ones were rust buckets and the later ones are great as long as MB is paying to maintain it. My Dad praised the fuel efficiency, as it is half the cost of fuel but his G3500 went 300k km on the original motor and trans, and his Sprinter needed a new trans at 17k km.

Ford Transit high roof is where it's at right now. Sprinter is probably superior if it is deleted and has a manual trans swap. I like the side door on the Transit a little bit more than the Sprinter, and it has a lower floor which makes everything a little bit easier. My boss has one but I haven't driven it.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
GM vans drive and stop like garbage compared to the sprinters which handle as good as a modern pickup with excellent braking.
I disagree, the center of gravity is much higher on a Sprinter with it's high roof and high floor. My dad has had both and I have driven both with the exact same steel shelving and loadout and they handle nothing like a pickup, even a GMT400 has more stability in corners. The Sprinter has decent power once the turbo winds up, but that was compared to a tired L31 with 300k km in that old GMC Savana.

The Sprinter was the only game in town for like 15 years. The early ones were rust buckets and the later ones are great as long as MB is paying to maintain it. My Dad praised the fuel efficiency, as it is half the cost of fuel but his G3500 went 300k km on the original motor and trans, and his Sprinter needed a new trans at 17k km.

Ford Transit high roof is where it's at right now. Sprinter is probably superior if it is deleted and has a manual trans swap. I like the side door on the Transit a little bit more than the Sprinter, and it has a lower floor which makes everything a little bit easier. My boss has one but I haven't driven it.

Wait until your Transits start losing torque converters and rear axles, the 8.8 inch rear axle on my MGM is bigger than the one on the Transit 250. My '15 Transit 250 had a torque converter fail around 75K, it took TWO MONTHS for the Ford dealer to get parts & replace it, would have been a couple hours on an Express, Savana, or even an Econoline!

If your Sprinter needs a transmission, better be sitting down when they tell you how much-my vending employer in the old days junked one because it was going to take $9000 to rebuild it, and we actually bought a NEW one (not my decision), heard it was in the $11,000 area!!

Originally Posted by ondarvr
Our fleet of sprinters are a nightmare of repairs, then long waits to get parts.

I've stayed at numerous hotels that use these vans....they do well up to about 100k then mx starts to eat the owner alive. Repeat problems with several of them, and one engine failure(probably caused by failure to change oil)

Ehh sort if -

As long as its not the long wheelbase dually -
The ford doenst have a long enough wheelbase for the extended length version and handles like a wallowing beast.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
What Chevy??..my early 90's Camry had +300k miles. Original engine, no rebuild, burnt about a qt of oil every 3k miles and the tranny was rebuilt at about 200k.

Still ran like a champ when I sold it. Most "durable" car I've ever owned.

Those 2nd and 3rd Generation Camry's were great vehicles........the word "bullet proof" doesn't give it justice.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
What Chevy??..my early 90's Camry had +300k miles. Original engine, no rebuild, burnt about a qt of oil every 3k miles and the tranny was rebuilt at about 200k.

Still ran like a champ when I sold it. Most "durable" car I've ever owned.

Those 2nd and 3rd Generation Camry's were great vehicles........the word "bullet proof" doesn't give it justice.
smile.gif

Mine was showing it's age (faded paint, faded cloth interior) for a mostly un-garaged car for it's +25yrs..but mechanically, it was sound. That Toyota 4 banger is one of the best ever made imo. Brake pads, conventional oil, oil filter, air filter, tires, coolant..all the maintenance stuff super cheap and easy to do. If I were commuting still and just needed a ppl mover, I'd get one again in a heart beat. The Corollas too... arguably the most durable car ever made.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by splinter
Life is too short to have that much seat time in a Chevy.

I guess you make a ton of money and drive German nightmares

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by ThirdeYe
I'd bet my Accord would make it that far if I drove that much. It's semi-retired now. Still on the original engine and trans as well.

That's some killer mileage! Is this the Gen 7 K24 version? Have you always used a 20wt? What are your transmission regiments, fluid used and mileage increments?

Yep 7th gen with the K24, 5 speed auto. I cannot say for sure with the oil grade but I assume it was either 5w-20 or 5w-30. It was changed per the OLM at the Honda dealer for the first 570k by the previous owner. I've since experimented with both grades usually changing it every 6-7k. The ATF was changed once every year. I've put about 50k on the car and it's been great to me. Everything still works and it's nice and quiet with no rattles or major issues.

Too bad our spammer OP Johnnybud never returned to update us with all the juicy details.
MolaKule was kind enough to edit it for decency.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

Retired now but I've done pretty well, thanks.
Japanese, German and Yank iron in the stable. FWIW my Chevrolet is cleverly disguised as a GMC.

Caprice 2 (2).jpg

Caprice 2 (1).jpg

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I'd bet my Accord would make it that far if I drove that much. It's semi-retired now. Still on the original engine and trans as well.

That's some killer mileage! Is this the Gen 7 K24 version? Have you always used a 20wt? What are your transmission regiments, fluid used and mileage increments?

Yep 7th gen with the K24, 5 speed auto. I cannot say for sure with the oil grade but I assume it was either 5w-20 or 5w-30. It was changed per the OLM at the Honda dealer for the first 570k by the previous owner. I've since experimented with both grades usually changing it every 6-7k. The ATF was changed once every year. I've put about 50k on the car and it's been great to me. Everything still works and it's nice and quiet with no rattles or major issues.

That is awesome mileage. I've mostly seen high mileage on old Toyota Camry's and Chevy trucks. Those are the only ones I've seen lots of working in the dealerships and independent garages. A couple high mileage old Saturn s cars, but gm trucks/vans and Toyota Camry's are the most frequent high miles in my experience.

Too bad our spammer OP Johnnybud never returned to update us with all the juicy details.
MolaKule was kind enough to edit it for decency.

Retired now but I've done pretty well, thanks.
Japanese, German and Yank iron in the stable. FWIW my Chevrolet is cleverly disguised as a GMC.

I'm 36 and haven't always made the best choices financially, so I will most likely never be rich. I'm into a career that doesn't pay extremely well but I never have to worry about unemployment. German cars will never be an option for me because every dollar counts. I'm not sure why the ignorant a$s comment about driving a Chevy if you have a GMC truck. That's the only reason I gave you an equally ignorant comment back.

I'm 36 and haven't always made the best choices financially...
I apologize to you and other forum members in good standing for my ill-advised comment.

Wishing you all the best going forward…

[/quote]

I'm 36 and haven't always made the best choices financially, so I will most likely never be rich. I'm into a career that doesn't pay extremely well but I never have to worry about unemployment. German cars will never be an option for me because every dollar counts. I'm not sure why the ignorant a$s comment about driving a Chevy if you have a GMC truck. That's the only reason I gave you an equally ignorant comment back.[/quote]
36? Well, I am not by any means what could be called rich but I can say with authority that if you start making proper choices it will help greatly in the years to come.

Originally Posted by CT8
[/quote]

I'm 36 and haven't always made the best choices financially, so I will most likely never be rich. I'm into a career that doesn't pay extremely well but I never have to worry about unemployment. German cars will never be an option for me because every dollar counts. I'm not sure why the ignorant a$s comment about driving a Chevy if you have a GMC truck. That's the only reason I gave you an equally ignorant comment back.

36? Well, I am not by any means what could be called rich but I can say with authority that if you start making proper choices it will help greatly in the years to come.[/quote]

Things are getting better. I'm now with a girl who likes to keep a tight budget and schedule, everything has to be perfect. All of the girls before her just seemed to suck me dry. Long term things will get easier but it's hard to recover from 30+ years of being basically broke.

I'm just lucky that while I was broke I was driving 1980s Chevy's and Oldsmobiles that cost nothing to fix especially if you have any amount of skill to do stuff yourself. Most of these years i was a service advisor and saw how much normal people have to spend to keep a vehicle on the road long term. It's scary when you know you can't afford it.

Life is too short to have that much seat time in a Chevy.

you must have never driven a LS powered chevy truck. comfortable and fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back