2015 Canyon keyless remote issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, recently had an issue with one of the remotes provided with the truck when purchased new. The 2nd remote and spare key has lived in a utility drawer in the house all its life. I can count on one hand how many times it's been used to unlock & drive the truck. I grabbed it the other day to use it, and it wouldn't unlock or lock the truck. Zero response from the truck when any button was pushed. Naturally, I assumed the remote battery (2032) had died.

I bought a package of new batteries, and installed one. No response from the truck. Switched the battery out for another new one. Same issue.

Got out my volt meter, and all the batteries (amazingly, even the original) tested at 3V.

I put a brand new battery in the remote and headed to Auto Zone to use their RF tester. It responded to the remote.

The only conclusion I can come to at this point is that something has caused the truck to 'forget' the remote. One lady I spoke to at a local locksmith asked if the truck battery died recently, suggesting that may be the cause, as I did replace the truck's battery right before I went on vacation earlier in the month. My only refute to that theory is that the primary remote works fine. Unfortunately, you must own a scan tool to do anything to this truck, so I can't fix it on my own unless I buy one.

Anyone else experience this? Did you have a locksmith re-program, or did you go the dealership route?

Last edited:
Remotes can get out of sync with a vehicle. To describe exactly why, a good understanding of how these systems are implemented would be needed. Most people probably don't care!
smile.gif
For anyone who does, you can start reading about rolling codes here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_code

I'd recommend using a remote once a month just to keep things sync'd. A quick unlock/lock will do it.
smile.gif

I'd pick whoever's cheapest to reprogram.

I've gotten away with remote battery switches (recent Toyota, Honda Pilot), and not gotten away with it (same Honda Pilot). If the battery is out too long the remote loses its place in the rolling sequence and starts over again. The vehicle then rejects the code.

And what cpayne5 says, use your spares at least once a month to keep everything in sync. I lost the use of a Honda remote by not doing this.

That's super frustrating given it's the spare that came with the truck. It's not like we're talking an aftermarket you purchased at some point.

Our 2016 Nissan also requires specialized equipment to program the FOBs. (keyless)

Mystery solved. When GM dealership #1 replaced the BCM to make the cruise control work, they only programmed the key and remote they had in their hands, rendering the spare key and remote useless. GM dealership #2 programmed the spare for $149.

This functioning cruise control is getting expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back