new car - when wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put it on. Factory paint jobs are baked on. Plenty of time has already passed since it left the paint line.

Look at the drivers door jam. Month and year of build is there. Coming from Japan I am certain it is a month old already or more. + like above said it is baked on. I would detail it now.

Not all Toyota's are assembled in Japan.
I've had three Avalon's. All were built in Ohio....

But, most are in the logistics line long enough that it's safe to wax them...

Start waxing right now.

If it has a "J" as the first letter in the VIN it was made in Japan.

It can be waxed the day you take title to it. Odds are the dealer might wax it as part of the pre-delivery prep before you even sit in it.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
It can be waxed the day you take title to it. Odds are the dealer might wax it as part of the pre-delivery prep before you even sit in it.

I was just going to say the same thing, every time I've purchased a new vehicle it's obvious they've waxed it.

clay bar the paint first. meguies makes a good one. very easy to do and makes the paint very slick since it picks out alll the fine sand and debris in the surface of the paint.

when done, hand wax or spray wax with meguires ultimate. you will likethe results.

Get informed before you get started, your cars finish is likely in worse shape than what meets the eye. You can thank your dealer and the transport process from the manufacturer for that.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/

Scroll down to auto detailing 101

CAUTION: this link may lead to wads of cash leaving your wallet as ones immersion into this "hobby" progresses.

purchased 2 new vehicles this year. detailed and put sealant the day they rolled of the lot.one was fresh , about a month old an d the other about 6. the month old paint was still nice and smooth while the 6 month one needed to be clayed. both of them had absolutely no protection from the factory. All the dealer did was do a quick wash and kick it out the door.

seal it as soon as possible on a new car

Originally Posted by Marco620
Hand wax but wouldn't use buffer yet. I'm old school and wait 6 months before going electrical.

Mine have all been machine polished the day I brought them home new. There's no need to wait. There's also no need to wait on waxing/sealing the paint. An aftermarket paint job does require at least 30 days, not so with factory.

A synthetic sealant would be light years ahead of just wax. The exception would be Collinite #845, best of both worlds.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
clay bar the paint first. meguies makes a good one. very easy to do and makes the paint very slick since it picks out alll the fine sand and debris in the surface of the paint.

when done, hand wax or spray wax with meguires ultimate. you will likethe results.

+1 on clay barring it as many cars are delivered by covered rail cars and can be contaminated with brake dust and other crud on the tracks. You will know if it has any contamination.

The thing about waiting to wax a new car comes from the "voluntary" import restraints on Japanese cars that were in effect in the early 1980s.

The Japanese cars were in such high demand that a newly assembled car would roll off the assembly line and be immediately sprayed with a kind of oily gook for making the sea voyage. The car would be sold before it landed in the US. The protective gook would be washed off maybe a week before it found it's new home. The proud owner who had just paid over MSRP for the car would immediately wax it. the paint never had a chance to fully cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back