Toyota Increases its share of Subaru.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subaru had had some massive screw ups/growing pains across there process(admitted) with massive year to year growth. Toyota clearly has a decent process and hopefully will share.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I don't really care if they own more of Subaru, as long as they don't change the tack Subaru has been on. 91 straight months of increasing sales or something crazy like that. About the only thing I wish Subaru would do is get back to the mindset of the mid-2000s, where every model outside of the Tribeca had an NA and turbo edition. Another thing I thing would sell like hotcakes would be if they offered a factory-lifted model (say 2" or so) and stuck some all-terrains on it. They heavily push the "go-anywhere" lifestyle in their advertising, they should offer some models with greatly increased capabilities like electronic locking diffs, drive modes (other than just X-mode), and maybe some fancy Fox shocks or something like that. Give these lifted models the unpainted heavier bumpers and lower valances on the sides for some scuff protection, and I think they'd become top sellers. Bringing back the Outback and Legacy turbos is a great start, I hope they continue bringing back some more powerful models.

I would seriously consider a Forester with an STI drive-train, minus the ancient Ej257. That means helical LSD upfront, DCCD center, and Torsen LSD in the rear.

I wouldn't care for 10.7" (2" lift over stock 8.7") of ground clearance nor knobby tires, but the STI drive-train and a decent motor would be awesome. Heck, I'd even take it with a detuned FA20DIT, at say 225HP/Tq, getting mid 20's for MPG's.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

I would seriously consider a Forester with an STI drive-train, minus the ancient Ej257. That means helical LSD upfront, DCCD center, and Torsen LSD in the rear.

I wouldn't care for 10.7" (2" lift over stock 8.7") of ground clearance nor knobby tires, but the STI drive-train and a decent motor would be awesome. Heck, I'd even take it with a detuned FA20DIT, at say 225HP/Tq, getting mid 20's for MPG's.

I've heard that a Forrester on Outback suspension is one of the best offroaders you can (budget) build.
and I've always heard Subies described as "Lego Cars" basically the parts from model abc, will bolt right onto model xyz, and vice versa...

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by windeye
Wonder how Honda's feeling that Toyota is integrating the Japanese auto industry. It has never seen eye-to-eye with Toyota.

Honda is unique in that it has great success with their outdoor power equipment division. Motorcycles are also another area. Honda also has their aviation and robotics divisions. They seem to be content with their strategy.

That's because Honda builds engines whereas Toyota just "buys" them.
27.gif
28.gif

I think loyal Toyota owner's (not me) are worried about all this expansion affecting reliability on future models. I've owned one toyota 2012 Corolla, boring but reliable.

27.gif
28.gif

Nonsense.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Motor_Manufacturing_West_Virginia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Motor_Manufacturing_Alabama
These are just the engine plants they have in the USA, they have 7 more in other countries around the world. Toyota is in fact the largest manufacturer of automobile engines in the world. Honda only beats them when you add their motorcycle, marine, and small engine production.
While it is true that Yamaha has done some engine design and development work for Toyota over the years (Toyota also owns a minority share of Yamaha), Toyota produces all of their own engines except for the BMW/Supra car and engine.
As far as Subaru is concerned, you can literally see a LOT of Toyota DNA in all of the Subaru models that have been redesigned since 2006. Subaru sales have skyrocketed since Toyota has been involved. In fact, Subaru was the ONLY auto manufacturer that increased sales, substantially, during the 2008-2010 recession. This is why Mazda and Suzuki are so eager to get in-bed with Toyota.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wag123
27.gif
28.gif

Nonsense.
These are just the engine plants they have in the USA, they have 7 more in other countries around the world. Toyota is in fact the largest manufacturer of automobile engines in the world. Honda only beats them when you add their motorcycle, marine, and small engine production.
While it is true that Yamaha has done some engine design and development work for Toyota over the years (Toyota also owns a minority share of Yamaha), Toyota produces all of their own engines except for the BMW/Supra car and engine.
As far as Subaru is concerned, you can literally see a LOT of Toyota DNA in all of the Subaru models that have been redesigned since 2006. Subaru sales have skyrocketed since Toyota has been involved. In fact, Subaru was the ONLY auto manufacturer that increased sales, substantially, during the 2008-2010 recession. This is why Mazda and Suzuki are so eager to get in-bed with Toyota.

Toyota buys also 4cyl diesels from BMW.
Subaru did increase their sales dramatically. What Toyota told them is: guys, best way to sell cars is to sell it to those who feel dead. Look at us? Average age of targeted audience: 114.9 years.
But, do you know how to read what others are implying.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Corollaman
Originally Posted by windeye
Wonder how Honda's feeling that Toyota is integrating the Japanese auto industry. It has never seen eye-to-eye with Toyota.

Honda is unique in that it has great success with their outdoor power equipment division. Motorcycles are also another area. Honda also has their aviation and robotics divisions. They seem to be content with their strategy.

27.gif
28.gif

I think loyal Toyota owner's (not me) are worried about all this expansion affecting reliability on future models. I've owned one toyota 2012 Corolla, boring but reliable.

Yes, yes, because recent Toyota have "exemplary" reliability.

Originally Posted by wag123
27.gif
28.gif

Nonsense.

Toyota used a lot of Mazda SkyActiv engineering for their Dynamic Force engines.

"Yes, yes, because recent Toyota have "exemplary" reliability."

They do except for you. Sadly for you, speed is not part of the equation for the future of personal transportation.

They do except for you. Sadly for you, speed is not part of the equation for the future of personal transportation.

If you fallowed recent transmission saga, you would realize they do not.
But then again, average owner of Toyota feels privileged when transmission fails at 3k miles. Thinking goes: If it failed at 3k in my Toyota, one can just imagine how bad is in another cars.

I don't fallow your statement. I'm not a farmer.

Again, the anti-Toyota bias is strong with edy

You sure like cars that resemble tractors.

Originally Posted by edyvw

You sure like cars that resemble tractors.
Knock it off edy!

Originally Posted by edyvw

If you fallowed recent transmission saga, you would realize they do not.
But then again, average owner of Toyota feels privileged when transmission fails at 3k miles. Thinking goes: If it failed at 3k in my Toyota, one can just imagine how bad is in another cars.

221,000+ on my Tacoma and the auto trans still performs great. Never had any work except 2 fluid swaps.

Random thoughts that popped into mind having bought my first new Toyota in 1981...

I think Toyota evolved and along the way, showed the rest of the world how to build vehicles that people actually need and want. The strategy they're engaged in now, is probably taking numerous global concerns into consideration; they're probably forecasting market needs in every country -and they're probably building roadmaps for 25, 50 and 75 years out from now. I tend to think most of the other non-niche auto makers are mainly concerned about surviving the next 10 years.

Their vehicles have always been a little "boring" and it would be nice if they would spice things up just a little, the way Mazda is going. Anyhow, whether you like Toyota or not, it doesn't matter. -They already won the battle.

Originally Posted by RayCJ

Their vehicles have always been a little "boring" and it would be nice if they would spice things up just a little

Yeah, some Toyotas are boring.
Our GS is a great car; it is not boring.
The RX body is polarizing; hardly boring.

They are both boring in the reliability department.
They just run and run and run.

The RX450h is a great all around vehicle.
If we could have only 1, this would be it.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Their vehicles have always been a little "boring" and it would be nice if they would spice things up just a little

I hear y'a... and just to be clear, I wasn't knocking Toyota as I think very highly of them. Let's see... Since 1981 I've owned (brand new) in the following order, a Corona, Corolla, Camry, Sienna, Tacoma, Matrix (used). The first four gave me and/or my wife a decade of absolutely trouble-free service. We handed them off to children or family relatives who then got another 8 to 10 years of trouble-free use. We still have the last two. You can't beat that with a stick!

Also, since 1997 Toyota has basically "owned" the hybrid vehicle market starting with the Prius. Personally, I don't like the styling of the Prius but for the past 22 years, they've been giving people 45-55 MPG. They pioneered some pretty darn solid engineering and made it feasible. I'd jump on a hybrid Camry like a duck on a june bug.

If there was a "Nobel Prize" or "Lifetime Achievement Award" for automobile companies, Toyota would be the only possible winner.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

I hear y'a... and just to be clear, I wasn't knocking Toyota as I think very highly of them. Let's see... Since 1981 I've owned (brand new) in the following order, a Corona, Corolla, Camry, Sienna, Tacoma, Matrix (used). The first four gave me and/or my wife a decade of absolutely trouble-free service. We handed them off to children or family relatives who then got another 8 to 10 years of trouble-free use. We still have the last two. You can't beat that with a stick!

Also, since 1997 Toyota has basically "owned" the hybrid vehicle market starting with the Prius. Personally, I don't like the styling of the Prius but for the past 22 years, they've been giving people 45-55 MPG. They pioneered some pretty darn solid engineering and made it feasible. I'd jump on a hybrid Camry like a duck on a june bug.

If there was a "Nobel Prize" or "Lifetime Achievement Award" for automobile companies, Toyota would be the only possible winner.

Agreed. People call Toyotas boring. I wonder what they call their cars when they are in the shop.
My 1993 Toyota 4WD PU has 350K miles and is still in service. Never broke down. My BIL has it up in WA.
My 2001 Tundra has 197K and is perfect. Everyone wants to buy it. Even the mailman.
Prius has been #1 seller in CA for many years.

If you wanna have some fun for a low price, check out a used GS 350 F Sport...
These are some of the best Toyotas ever built.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back