Best grease for Genie screw drive garage door opener?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

I have an old Genie screw drive garage door opener. About once a year (usually when it is cold) it starts acting up. I've lubed it with different things over the years, and it usually helps for a while. I've also sprayed degreaser on it to clean it up from time to time.

I've used some Amsoil NLGI2 grease I have. I've also tried spray lithium grease. The last time this happened I thought it was finally time to get it replaced, so I called the guy who installed it originally to get a quote. He gave me a quote, but he told me to try liberally spraying it with the original Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil spray. I did that and it has been working ever since (over a year). It will be cooling off in the next few months, so I'm expecting it to start acting up again (it may not). What would you recommend for the screw drive mechanism? I may just use the Liquid Wrench again. It seems awfully light, but did the trick. And I've always considered it more of a penetrant than a lubricant. Is an NLGI #2 grease too thick? Spray lithium grease? Something else? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
This stuff is highly recommend on Amazon and half the price of the Genie lube 3-pack.
BTW, Genie claims that their product is 'lithium grease'.

Screenshot_2019-09-27-12-16-29.png

Thanks. Yeah, I've seen several specialty garage door lubes. None of them mention the screw drive mechanism. This one says:

"Lubricating garage door tracks, hinges, chains, springs, pulleys, and latches"

I'm sure it would work though. I just don't know if it would be better than Liquid Wrench or not. Heck LW even makes a garage door specific lube but it says:

"hinges, rollers and springs, quieting squeaky wheels"

So it is really just for the door, not the opener per se.

Actually, I just searched through the reviews of the 3-in-1 product and saw this one:

"My screw driven garage door opener is growling loudly when operated, so after reading the reviews here in Amazon, I decided to give this product a try. I sprayed this lubricant on the hinges, rails, rollers, and the screw drive rail itself. It quieted the garage door opener for a couple of days, but then the growl came back (much less growl than before, but regardless it was getting louder). I took a closer look and the noise was coming from the screw drive itself. I also found grease marks on my garage floor because this lubricant made the grease in the screw drive more liquid, thus it dripped. Don't use this on a screw drive!!!! Get the Genie GLU-3 Screw Drive Garage Door Opener Lubricant that they also sell here at Amazon. The GLU-3 worked like a charm, and my screw drive garage door opener has been quiet for a couple of weeks now. This 3-in-1 lubricant is good for hinges and rollers, etc, so I recommend it just for this purpose. I hope this helps"

I just use the lube from Genie on the drive itself and a spray like WD-40 on the hinges. I get at least 1-1/2 uses out of a tube, if not 2, so the 3-pack lasts a long time.

18 years on my current opener, and the one at Mom's place is almost 25 years old and no issues.

I don't have a screw drive, but I have used Schaeffer's 238(?) an NLGI #2 with 5% moly in it for other sliding and rotating things, and it seems to be a champ. It does specify not to use on wheel bearings, so there's that, but a screw drive should be different.

Originally Posted by opus1
I just use the lube from Genie on the drive itself and a spray like WD-40 on the hinges. I get at least 1-1/2 uses out of a tube, if not 2, so the 3-pack lasts a long time.

18 years on my current opener, and the one at Mom's place is almost 25 years old and no issues.

Thanks! I've actually had mine for about 15 years myself! And I've never actually used the Genie stuff. Maybe I need to clean out the old grease and try it. I just hate to buy an expensive specialty lube if it is really just a small, expensive tube of something I already have on hand. if it is actually different I guess I don't mind so much.

When you get to the point that you no longer want to deal with the old garage door opener, be sure to replace it with a belt drive.

Over the years, I've had chain drive and screw drive openers. When I finally got fed up with my last screw drive, I replaced it with a belt drive. The belt drive is so much better than the other two technologies. It is totally in a different class. I've had neighbors and friends ask, when they have visited, what kind of garage door opener I have that it is so quiet and smooth.

The belt requires no lubrication whatsoever. And the performance difference between winter and summer is negligible, and practically nonexistent when compared to a chain or screw drive.

Short of the very expensive premium garage door opener systems, belt drive is the best you can get right now. And it leaves little to be desired.

Just run down to HD or ACE and buy some low temp garage door grease. That stuff is supposed to be wiped/reapplied every year.

20 yrs on my screw drive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BHopkins
When you get to the point that you no longer want to deal with the old garage door opener, be sure to replace it with a belt drive.

Over the years, I've had chain drive and screw drive openers. When I finally got fed up with my last screw drive, I replaced it with a belt drive. The belt drive is so much better than the other two technologies. It is totally in a different class. I've had neighbors and friends ask, when they have visited, what kind of garage door opener I have that it is so quiet and smooth.

The belt requires no lubrication whatsoever. And the performance difference between winter and summer is negligible, and practically nonexistent when compared to a chain or screw drive.

Short of the very expensive premium garage door opener systems, belt drive is the best you can get right now. And it leaves little to be desired.

Great to know--thanks!

I have used the Genie screw drive lube on mine with good results. I have 2 Chamberlain Screw drives and they act up in MN winter if you don't use the correct lube. I was told from a guy that installs garage doors to use the Genie lube. I put down a drop cloth an sprayed the screw down with brake cleaner to get all the old grease out and relubed lightly with the Genie grease. Too much is not good either as it causes problems. Since I did this I have never had a problem.
When I researched this several years ago the Genie stuff was the same as a low temp synthetic grease made by Lubriplate.

Lubriplate Low Temp. Genie sells it in small tube. Just a bit where the screw and rack move up and down is all you need.

Don't over-do it, a garage door mechanic told me he's seen Genie motors go out when there's too much grease making its way to the motor.

I like fast door openers. Loudness and needing to lube it once a year doesn't bother me.
Genie has a few faster openers in their product line.
The previous house I owned has a Genie Excelerator and my new home has fast Genie door openers.
Get a Genie 4164 if you want fast.

Why on earth would you want this slow opener below?

I like slower, went from a Genie screw drive to their belt drive, same speed but so much quieter
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by mrdctaylor
"Lubricating garage door tracks, hinges, chains, springs, pulleys, and latches"

For the record you don't lubricate the track or chain.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
Also went from a genie chain drive to a lift master belt drive. 1000% quieter.

Lift-Master(or Chamberlain, same thing but no one-piece rail) seems to be the way to go. If you have a wooden one-piece door, screw drive is still recommended. Genie stopped making their classical direct drive design years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back