Warming your car up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
What's the point of warming the seat if you're not in it? I could see it being programmed that way for safety... don't want to catch fire or get a burn when the seat overheats.

Totally guessing

They are like that so you have nice warm seats and a steering wheel when you decide to hop in it after starting it remotely from inside your house or wherever.

My truck is a 13 but these features/options have been around for years.

I remote started it today around 4pm when I had to leave to pick up my son and looking inside my truck before unlocking it, I noticed the seat and steering wheel were both on. Must have just been a glitch?
21.gif

I'm not one for having the latest technology and gadgets (obviously with a 17 year old car), but I have to say heated seats were one of the best inventions ever. Makes a big difference if my back is sore, glad I added them to my Jeep.

At -20 this morning started the 02 jeep turned the heater on and went back in side. 20 minutes later wife takes off in a nice warm jeep. And I get a bunch of brownie points.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I'm not one for having the latest technology and gadgets (obviously with a 17 year old car), but I have to say heated seats were one of the best inventions ever. Makes a big difference if my back is sore, glad I added them to my Jeep.

I have told people there are 3 things I'll never go without again in a vehicle, and those are, heated seats, a heated steering wheel and a back up camera.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
What's the point of warming the seat if you're not in it? I could see it being programmed that way for safety... don't want to catch fire or get a burn when the seat overheats.

That's possible. My G37's seats won't preheat, but the Audi's did, well, the passenger side did, driver side was dead.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I have told people there are 3 things I'll never go without again in a vehicle, and those are, heated seats, a heated steering wheel and a back up camera.
thumbsup2.gif

While I like them all, the heated steering wheel is fantastic IMO! My old arthritic fingers LOVE it!

Car wouldn't start this morning on the first try
shocked.gif
Time for the battery tender.

It seems to warm up in about 10 minutes or so whether it's idling or driving so today after that scare it was "turn the key and go" and we had heat inside of about 5 minutes, not much more than that. Threw a code, probably due to something just barely tripping a monitor so I'll clear that later. If you're like me, you can't stand the CEL at all!

^ My HHR threw codes when idling in bitter cold *after* a heat-producing ride. So pull into a scenic turnoff, crank the heat, go take some pictures, come back, little yellow light.
laugh.gif

At -5F/-20C is the beginning of stupid cold territory where I too would be warming my car for 10 minutes while waiting in the house. My comfort at those temps is more important than the health of my car. Anything higher than -15C I'll just let it idle for a few minutes in the car then go. When I do get out of my car I set the heater controls to re-circulation, floor, max temp, full fan. I want to heat the objects in the car from the ground up, not loose heat by blowing across a cold windshield.

Last edited:
At home I usually just start it up in the garage and let it idle for 30 seconds to a minute and then take off.

at work I like to let it run for at least 10 min before i head out, i clean the windows and stuff off but it still needs to defrost a bit, that and its been ridiculously cold these last week or so and as it doesn't take very long to get heat but by the time the vehicle fully gets heated i'm almost home, so i f let it idle for 5 to 10 mins i usually get heat right away and i don't freeze the rest of the way home.

It's -20 to -30 C these days where I am. I start it up and either brush off the snow or if that's not needed, wait until the oil pressure gauge reads a steady reading (up to 30 seconds) then drive.

People are way too soft nowadays. Enjoy the cold, it's invigorating.

Nah, doesn't get too cold here in NorCal to really warrant it. I'll start up, put on my seatbelt, wait for bluetooth to connect and then throw it in reverse out of the garage. I'll just take it easy on the throttle until I get to the freeway, which is a few miles away and about 5 minutes so it's pretty warmed up by then.

I have always instructed those around me to do the following:
1) *Always* let the engine move out of the initial high idle before taking off.
2) When it is below freezing, let the car idle at least a minute for every 10 degrees below freezing before taking off.
3) When it is below freezing, engage the transmission, hold the brake, but don't move for about 15 seconds to let the tranny limber the fluid up a bit.

I let the tach tell me when to go. When the idle drops to ~1,000 rpm I go. I'd rather not slip a clutch on a high revving engine, or slam an A/T into gear.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I let the tach tell me when to go. When the idle drops to ~1,000 rpm I go. I'd rather not slip a clutch on a high revving engine, or slam an A/T into gear.

I follow the same too, wait until the RPMs drop down to idle then drive carefully until I can assume the oil and trans fluids are up to temp (manual trans so it's easy to feel when the fluid has warmed up.) Unfortunately days under 10F the trans doesn't warm up until I get to the train station/home.

During one of the coldest winters in 50 years, I got on the interstate after driving 2 blocks. A half-hour commute. 1976 Honda Civic. No warm up. Did that for 3 year.

Sold the car after 12 years, 165,000 miles.

Didn't burn oil.

I just give the ole 90 Silverado about a 10 count then go. In the winter I plug the ole girl in and pretty much the same 10 count. It's a good ole truck and I like it.
130,000 no oil burning. Intake is starting to leak coolant externally. The last tbi 350 that I drove had 290,000 on it. I finally got tired of it pulled the motor and trans out after over haulsvthe went into an 80 Jeep scrambler. Took the wheels off for my car trailer. The rest was sent to China as confetti

My warm up consists of me starting it, slowly backing out of my driveway, slowly driving down my street, slowly taking a right and driving about .2's of a mile to the stop sign...then in my mind it's warmed up. I've never let a car idle in my driveway to warm up in my entire life. And I've never experienced any sort of engine issue because of it.

I honestly don't recall the last time I had to deal with below freezing temps -- and I'm not boasting, I'm complaining. Maybe 2014? The heat here is relentless. If i move to Wisconsin or similar climate, I'll adapt my warm up procedure. The LaCrosse has heated seats and wheel, and no doubt I'll start using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back