New Rider Eager to hear from long timers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
========= Protect Your Hearing ===========

Wind noise in certain situations or certain bikes is a concern, so get some earplugs. +999 to BusyLittleShop.

+1
If you can't get custom ones, I'd recommend using the disposable foam ones.
For additional noise isolation, moisten your finger then insert into your ear and moisten the canal as best you can.
Then when you insert the compressed foam plug, you'll have a water-tight seal in addition to the foam.

I admit, sounds kinda gross, but makes a HUGE difference!

50 years on a motorcycle for me, it's never been anything but the most exciting and important part of my life. I bounced around a bit when I was young...but you don 't sound young and stupid like I was. No harm done....I think learning how to crash well was a good thing for me at the time. Stick with the 250 for now - we used to have a 250 learner rule here, but is now a power to weight ratio, and either is a good way to learn. I've never been interested in power or speed, pushing a slow bike fast has always been the most rewarding way to ride. I don't like riding in cities anymore, I ride backroads, and still commute on a scooter everyday to work in our small town.

Ignore the naysayers, they have no concept of fun.

I have ridden bikes for 48years and started on a Honda 90 ST 90 in college. Went to a Honda Dream 305 and then to BMW 750 and Guzzi 850. I had some smaller ones again after moving to Kentucky. Rode one whole year here by wearing a ski suit. Never had a wreck thank God. Last bike was a 1500 Goldwing which my wife and I loved to ride. It was easy to ride and had loads of power. Fnally quit when I fell on ice just walking and broke my left hip. Those hip replacements are only rated for 250lbs. My 900 lb. Wing was just so heavy and I felt like the hip might let go if I got in a bad situation with my wife and I both on board. Now I just drive the VW cabriolet with the top down for the shear relaxation of being out in the elements. I really do miss riding though.

I use the silicone style protection. A lot easier to put in the ears than the foam ones. They are rated for 22Dbs, not as good as the 30db of the foam, but I can't resist the convenience. I do like the custom molded earbuds idea. Maybe as a birthday gift to myself. Speaking of that, do you listen to music while riding? Everything I've read says it's a terrible idea.

I am definitely planning to continue riding as a commuter despite the risks. But I plan on keeping myself tempered. All the bike crash videos I've seen are because the bike riders are being aggressive. They accelerate to light speed after passing a slow motorist and end up hitting a left turner up ahead. That left turner couldn't see the bike accelerating that fast. I firmly believe if I leave the track riding off the streets, I can maximize my survival. Accelerating hard when I know it's safe is a treat best served in moderation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kurtatron

Who here has logged lots of miles? Do you feel like the danger aspect is not worth riding? Do you ride for fun or practicality?

define a lot?

the danger is always present. period.
the man, my uncle that rode a harley from newton,ks to newport news,va back and for to his ship the uss keirsarg, that bought me my 1st bike and tought me to ride said this:

"it's not if you go down, it's when you go down"
i was told this many times, starting in 1970

how to lessen what will happen when you do.

about 7 years ago his son, had an f150 turn left right in front of him at hiway speed
he went over the hood, across the side and landed 20ft past the bed.
kid driving said he never saw my cousin and his harley
7 broken ribs
punctured lung
broken pelvis that took 3 plates and 18 screws (ive seen the xrays myself)
and yes his harley was totaled
off work nearly 9 months
he is a machinist
said his 1st day back he nearly cried from the pain of standing all day
he said the 1st month was all he could do to get up
he had a replacement harley before he could ride again
he rides almost everyday

at some level we all ride for both...fun and practicality ... but we all know its for fun ... the practical part is just an excuse for the fun!

I've been riding since 1967. I started on a Honda S-65, and presently ride a 1985 Yamaha Vmax and a 2002 Yamaha RoadStar.
A 250 is plenty of bike for commuting, or even light duty traveling, as long as you stay off the freeways. I've done thousand mile trips on bikes like Honda CB160s or Yamaha RD 350s.

Rider safety courses are a great idea. Glad to see you took one.

My philosophy on sharing the road: Assume every car out there is being driven by someone who is trying to kill you. Keep your eyes open, and assume nothing. DON'T drink and ride!

After 53 years in the saddle, I've logged over 350,000 miles.

I think because I built the foundation of riding while constantly navigating/negotiating city traffic on my bicycle, it set the mental expectation of car drivers.
It taught me how 2-wheelers do NOT get mental recognition; the reality is we yeild to everyone on the road, regardless of the law or whatever.
Although I ride a motorcycle, I am mentally still in the authoritative mindset of "I am on a bicycle," in which I am the only one expected to defend myself,
and even maybe that most people don't want to be expected to deal with navigating motorway traffic that has me amongst it.
While the last part is definitely a bicyclist thing, I would say it definitely has driven me to make prime defensive driving decisions that I wouldn't have made otherwise.

Have fun, but don't ride faster than you mind falling.

Last edited:
Crashing...

I was up to 22 years without a environmental impact study when I hit a
patch of black sand on H36 and reset the counter... boy was my face red!!!

Mercy... just look what mean old mister gravity did...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I ride purely for fun. Is it dangerous? Of course it is...but I feel the joy of riding far outweighs the danger. Like others have said, don't ride at night, stay out of busy traffic, wear ear protection, always wear your gear and keep practicing!

While riding is dangerous there are lots of things you can do to help to minimize your risk. I've only been riding for a few years..but I hope to one day be able to say that I've been riding for 25 years and a few hundred thousand miles.

I've been riding almost 40 years now. I don't ride on "freeways" during rush hour and have learned how to look into the future while riding. You have to assume that everyone turning left,probably will right in front of you. Stay out of people's blind spots! Don't do stupid stunts and learn how to keep your right wrist under control. I like performance like anyone else, but you have use that performance responsibilly. Ride safe and you will be riding for many years to come. This is my latest acquisition to my motorcycle collection.
[Linked Image]

I've been a motorcyclist from age 7. It's my first love.

I really enjoy dirt bikes, and if you've not had the chance to spend time on a good dirt bike on good trails, do so. It's my opinion that both items matter, a lot. But when right, it's hard to beat the off road fun.

I'll claim the risk reward ratio is not in your favor. Especially with so many distracted drivers today.

My very best friend died last year while riding safely on some really nice roads in TN. Ya just never know.

Originally Posted by ZX11Rebel
I've been riding almost 40 years now. I don't ride on "freeways" during rush hour and have learned how to look into the future while riding. You have to assume that everyone turning left,probably will right in front of you. Stay out of people's blind spots! Don't do stupid stunts and learn how to keep your right wrist under control. I like performance like anyone else, but you have use that performance responsibilly. Ride safe and you will be riding for many years to come. This is my latest acquisition to my motorcycle collection.
[Linked Image]

Yeah that oughta be a collector's item all right. On fire sale for obvious reasons. What's the parts supply going to look like moving forward?

The people who designed this thing were smart. Most of the parts on this bike are used on other bikes or automotive sources. Fuel injection system is GM/ Delphi. Clutch is from a Hayabusa. Many of the engine parts are GM LS. Chain and sprockets are from a Yamaha R1. Wheels,brakes,and suspension are all common MC industry parts. The bearings and seals for the transmission are all available from multiple sources. The gaskets for the engine are unique to the Motus V4 and I have already bought spares just in case.

I only rode for a couple years before i decided to stop. What really got me was you can be the safest rider and do all the right things and still be killed. My tipping point was getting sideswiped by and SUV that got so close it broke off my back blinker and smashed it's side view mirror on my back.

I loved riding, being out in the world soaking in all the elements. But it comes down to how much risk you're willing to take. Different from person to person. If it's worth it to you then more power to you. At least wear a helmet, and as much gear as you can after that.

50+ years riding best advice I ever got is ride like you are invisible when in traffic. Also riding a slow bike fast is more fun than riding a fast bike slow. Good luck

Originally Posted by FastGame
For Kurtatron who will be riding Detroit Metro area this is a good example on how not to ride https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/motorcyclist-killed-in-high-speed-crash-on-detroits-east-side Young girls life gone in a flash
frown.gif

Good example for all riders.

The example of bad driving is, do not to cross three lanes of traffic to make a turn. The girl on the bike had nowhere to go due to the maneuver the car made. Didn't look to be going 100 MPH either.,,

This thread got me to thinking about the health of our sport. I congratulate you on discovering motorcycling and the bike you chose. I have been reading about the decline of motorcycling in the US, Harley in particular is very hard hit. I'm thinking about where we came from and where it is all going.
I began riding in 1968 and went through many small bikes over the years in the 70,s I remember well when a Honda CB 350 was considered a big bike that could do it all. Then starting in the 80,s bikes got specialized, they got big, heavy. Big inch cruisers, and 600 and 1000 sport bikes. Gone were most of the bikes in the middle, the 250,s and 350-400 size. Do you remember how popular the so called enduro segment was in the early 1970,s? Honda yam suz and kaw had them in 90-100, 125,175,250, and 350 360 400 sizes. And they sold really well, and for good reason. Street legal you could ride them to school, work, and play on the weekend. Almost all gone now. Why? We seem to have gotten bogged down with these huge overpriced heavy cruisers, and race replica bikes.
Anyway just been thinking what's needed in this country for our younger generation to enjoy this sport like I have is affordable smaller bikes that are versatile. Or have we forgotten how much fun it was to have a simple lightweight machine? Maybe we only have ourselves to blame for this as people in my generation migrated to these bigger overpriced machines. Anyway enjoy the ride and stay safe out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back