My yard sale find revived

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought this during the 31W roller coaster yard sale for $5.00 it was non running and was rough but i like a good project. The engine is a 3.5 hp TVS90 Tecumseh dated the 19th day of 1981. All i had to do is clean the points, clean the carb replaced the spark plug and it runs like new i plan to either leave it alone or swap it to a modern deck that has side discharge because i don't bag grass.

That's cool ! Nice job fixing it back up. Saved it from the junk yard for sure, and for only 5.00 - that's a deal

Not bad for $5. I've owned a house for close to 40 years now, and have never bought a new mower or snowblower. It Amazes me what people throw out or sell for pennies on the dollar that last for years and years, with simple and cheap repairs.

Jake W,, Demar paint, Kira. My parents were born in 1920. Goods were used up, then repaired , then recycled. It is how we were raised My first bike cost me a dollar, my first car 5 $

Got to love them old flatheads. See if you can get a bigger quieter muffler then add a fuel filter, you'll be good for years.

Originally Posted by Kira
What is a "31W" roller coaster yard sale?

I use a crushed plastic bottle to plug the discharge chute when I don't want to catch grass.

annual yard sale that runs through state highway 31 in kentucky.

Here is the replacement deck the engine is bad and dropped a valve destroying the piston these new briggs are terrible engines.
[Linked Image]

i 1977 i bought a lawn boy . 2 cycle. for $35. 20 years latter i sold it for $20. i think i did good.

Nice job, Jake! The Tecumsehs always had a rougher sound than a Briggs, but seem to put out a bit more power. Sounds like it's running nice and strong! Is the bagger door on the deck always open when you remove the bag?

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by jakewells
Here is the replacement deck the engine is bad and dropped a valve destroying the piston these new briggs are terrible engines.
[Linked Image]

Are they the ones that you never change the oil?

Originally Posted by jbutch
[Linked Image]

Yes and they don't have drain plugs either it is the lower end 140-150 cc engine that briggs offers.

Good find.
Always enjoyed those LAV Tecumseh engines for maintenance and durability.

Originally Posted by jbutch
[Linked Image]

Yes and they don't have drain plugs either it is the lower end 140-150 cc engine that briggs offers.

Unless it has the check and fill sticker on it it is supposed to have the oil changed. I have that exact same mower bought this year and it says in the engine manual that if it is not a Check and fill model you must change the oil. Mine is not a check and fill engine. The dip stick/oil fill is a pain in the butt.

There is no drain plug on the newer ones. I think they started doing that on some of the flat heads.

Originally Posted by Fifth87
Good find.
Always enjoyed those LAV Tecumseh engines for maintenance and durability.

Yes great engine and a lot more torque than so called modern plastic engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back