Royal Purple Filter Mileage Rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find much info online about how long you can run a RP filter. Anyone have an opinion or knowledge on whether they can go as long as a Fram or Mobil-1, mileage-wise?

I know they're great filters, but if the amount of media is on the small side, I suppose the mileage could be on the small side.

I'm using the RP 20-500 which is mid sized like and XG10575, FL500 s, or PF63

114E5E85-D77B-44D0-B10C-27ADA040613F.png

It's the same exact filter as Amsoil and Donaldson when cut apart and compared side-by-side.

I've ran a plain Motorcraft FL-1A to 30,000 miles back in the middle 1990's (with regular oil changes) and had no failures (filter looked great).

Today's engines run even cleaner yet.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I'm using the RP 20-500 which is mid sized like and XG10575, FL500 s, or PF63

This filter came off today at 10k … I had planned to run a bit longer, but oil pressure was at 60 psi this am (40 is norm) for the first few miles while the engine warmed. It was 80F outside … and the oil is 0w20.

Put on a PF63E … will go another 2k or so on this OCI.
Somebody asked if these had baseplate PRV … but it's dome end and looks similar to Wix XP design

99E51923-72DD-4E39-B973-C043FF64B041.jpeg

5ABAA0E2-64F0-49C6-B526-C961A83E705E.jpeg

F48E6A7E-F9E1-44A5-8E33-3D82CB75FE3D.jpeg

Miles until clogged filter varies from car to car, where and how it's used and the condition. They should put grams of standard test dust on the box. You still have to inspect the inside of a filter to see if it looks clogged or not according to your liking. Mileage on box doesn't mean much if anything.

I've personally went 20k on a Royal Purple (10-2867) before and it looked every bit as good as what 4WD posted. I would never hesitate to run an RP out further than a M1, etc.

One thing that went through my mind was the additional pressure was exactly what the PRV setting is.
I don't know what else could cause that spike ... so cheap and easy to just change the filter.
Next cold start was normal

Originally Posted by 4WD
This filter came off today at 10k … I had planned to run a bit longer, but oil pressure was at 60 psi this am (40 is norm) for the first few miles while the engine warmed. It was 80F outside … and the oil is 0w20.

Originally Posted by 4WD
One thing that went through my mind was the additional pressure was exactly what the PRV setting is.
I don't know what else could cause that spike ... so cheap and easy to just change the filter.
Next cold start was normal

What vehicle was it on? Only way for a clogged oil filter to show increased oil pressure is if the pressure sensor is located before the filter.

Yeah I know that but don't know where the sensors are ... it's a variable pump system on L83

20 psi on an 80 degree day and 0w20 is very strange to me

Acting normal now

The two stage pump test should only reach 60 psi above 3700 rpm … I saw 60 psi at idle which the engine has never done … Regardless … I got 10k from that filter and only bought it while wading through all the ecore bashing here … I'm good running PF63E now and have a couple Baldwin in the stash
Eventually I will go back to XP

^^^ Yeah, computer controlled variable output PD oil pump ... who knows what kind of weirdness they can exhibit.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back