Phosphorus depletion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 2014 ford 6.7. Ford came out with their special
-F1 specification that basically requires over 1000ppm Phosphorus (basically to combat valve train wear).

What would cause my Phosphorus levels to drop from 1183 to 465ppm. First sample was at 7,847 miles on oil and the second sample was 14,544 miles on oil.

My thoughts:
1. Testing error
2. Using a different product to top off oil level
3. Engine consumption
4. Drop out of suspension and removed by the bypass filter.

P levels are known to deplete over time as an oil is in service.

One of the reasons why they've hammered the P levels down in the latest API specs is that people were changing oil far too frequently, and thus exposing their exhaust gas path instrumentation and catalytic converters to excessive phosphorous off-gassing.

Having said that, there are different anti-wear compounds, which have different levels of phosphorous. So an arbitrary 1000ppm specification without specifying a particular compound or chemistry may not be terribly scientifically useful either.

Never. 1183 to 465 is testing error.

And puuhhh… i ever thought P ist EP and not AW
eek.gif

Last edited:
That's a testing error. P doesn't deplete over time and use like that. ZDDP does but the P is still present just like Ca and Mg are still present even when TBN is at zero.

Which lab did the report?

Yeah, that's an error. The rest of the report looks fine.

I don't care for Blackstone as I've consistently gotten results from them that we 20-25% lower than everywhere else. They also lost one of my samples.. I use Polaris labs which is cheaper than Blackstone and includes TBN, oxidation, and nitration at no extra cost.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

I don't care for Blackstone as I've consistently gotten results from them that we 20-25% lower than everywhere else. They also lost one of my samples.. I use Polaris labs which is cheaper than Blackstone and includes TBN, oxidation, and nitration at no extra cost.

I use the NAPA lab in Atlanta GA

I'll never, ever use blackstoned as I dont care for their cheesy and useless comments

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

I use the NAPA lab in Atlanta GA

I'll never, ever use blackstoned as I dont care for their cheesy and useless comments

A local racer showed me a UOA he got from Blackstone a few years ago. It showed 4.5% fuel dilution, was sheared out of grade, 4000+ppm lead (leaded race fuel), TBN was 0.9, and their comments were "run for another 3k miles and check again" which also ignored the fact that this was late model race car with about 250 laps on it. lol

As others have stated, that looks like a test reporting error.

For context, phosphorus retention is a factor in API resource-conserving testing. For API SN + RC you need a minimum of approximately 80% P retention in the Seq III test to pass (the actual limit depends on whether you are using Seq IIIGB or Seq IIIHB). There is no P-ret requirement for regular API SN (or SN PLUS or SP). My point is, P retention is a thing and it is tested for, but the level of loss shown in the UOA above is way beyond what would normally (or even conceivably) be expected. Especially when you consider the relatively good shape the rest of the data are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back