diesel oil in gasoline engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any benefits/downsides to running diesel oil in a gasoline engine? Currently looking at a 5 qt jug of 15w40 supertech for $10 in a beat up old el camino.

You may notice slightly more fuel consumption, most certainly less oil consumption. The add pack is usually more robust, higher tbn, more anti wear additives & detergents. My 1st choice for an old beater would be 15w-40HD.

Oh if it has a high level of Zinc or phos? it may foul up the cats (assuming it has cats & burns oil)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Audios
Should work well, go for it.

+1
I'm running Rotella T4 15w40 (also rated for diesel vehicles) in my oldie and she seems to like it.
Never had oil consumption issues, so no need to worry about the cat.

Harley recommends using diesel oil if your bike is low on oil, and their brand of oil isn't available. And for winter use they say to use 10/40wt when the temps are below 40f. So again 15/40 would work there also.,,,

You will be fine running it. You may notice your fuel mileage going down a little. If you live where you experience pretty cold winters, you can switch to Super Tech European 5W40.

This question is often asked. Officially motor oils for gasoline engines are limited in the USA by The American Petroleum Institute (API) to 800 ppm for Zinc and phosphorus. They feel anything higher is damaging to catalytic convertors. However, many Bitoggers like Zinc and phosphorus so they like using oils that are meant for Diesel engines. Some say if it doesn't burn oil it's OK, but that is not the position of the API. However, there are no API cops peeking into your garage, so I guess you can use what you want.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I run Rotella T 15w40 in my classics. There are other (probably better) flat tappet oils out there.
If you are running stock valve spring rates, any 10w30 is probably fine.
If it is an original or pumped engine, I would use a specific oil for that engine.

Originally Posted by CT8
If the 15W works for your starting temps the oil will work great.

True CT8...

By the way... Way cold up your way I believe.... For the next week or so it will be quite cold in your area. A 15w might be a little thick in your area come Saturday am
smile.gif

Originally Posted by 209paulc
HDEO only in a beater?? I run it in my Ecoboost!!! Check my sig...

Also ran HDEO in my TGDI, great results!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back