Oil Recommendation Mercedes AMG C63 (M156)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Debe
@Lowflyer - YES! I can get Penrite here in Singapore and I was thinking about HPR5 5w40 (With Extra 10 and Added Zinc) - The Zinc in this oil is around 1200ppm and looks good on paper. The only concern I had was people saying Penrite can lead to some sludge buildup - some people love Penrite and others think it is not worth the premium price.

How long have you been using Penrite? What Spec? You rekon its fine for a daily driver?
Hmm... Yesno
56.gif
I ask "by reason" of their Racing Zinc Top Treat. I dont drive Penrite oils.

His thread: M1 0W-40 from 2014 is not M1 0W-40 than you can buy today. The link is useless. BUT, the addpack seems be more or less reasonably, unaltered. ~1080-1090 zinc. Its ok. But I dont more like their base oils. Already since NewLife I dont see enhancements. It will version for version only thinner.

Syntium 7000 is 100% OEM oil in Affalterbach. This is confirmed from their engine build section. If it would have been mine, I would change it all 5000 miles (in Singapore). And push a bit zinc with Penrite Treat from his ~1000 to 1200. Done.

I mean, in Singapore a AMG engine can't be terrific burdened. I know Singapore a littlebit... Or you are frequently on Marina Bay?
56.gif

edit:
The new spec now for the c63 engines is 5w/40 - 0w/40 is not recommended due to lifter bleed down issues.
Oh... Ok. Who says that officially?
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/474058-what-correct-engine-oil-0w40-5w40.html

Last edited:
Hi Gents,

Thanks for all the comments and discussion.

@Lowflyer - YES! I can get Penrite here in Singapore and I was thinking about HPR5 5w40 (With Extra 10 and Added Zinc) - The Zinc in this oil is around 1200ppm and looks good on paper. The only concern I had was people saying Penrite can lead to some sludge buildup - some people love Penrite and others think it is not worth the premium price.

How long have you been using Penrite? What Spec? You rekon its fine for a daily driver?

Penrite HPR5 is widely used in Australia and Ive never seen any mention of sludge in the reviews. I also personally use their Racing 15 (15w/50) which is a high zinc PAO/Ester oil in my twin big block mercruiser 8.1's and I haven't seen any evidence of sludge.

FWIW Mobil 1's own comparison for marketing purposes seems to show the 0w40 as a better oil to the 5w40:

https://mobiloil.com/en/product-comparison?p1=%7ba37c55b9-ffa8-418c-ac1b-c5509f3c58b3%7d&p2=%7b88f37d68-b98e-4721-ad07-2dc540985511%7d

I use the Castrol over the Mobil 1 as there were complaints of ticking with the Mobil 1 0w40 on start up. I don't have that problem with the Castrol 0w40 as from memory it has a slightly higher cold viscosity spec than the Mobil 1 0w40.

Apart from the Catrol and Mobil 1 0w/40 oils, other popular oils for these motors are:

Shell Rotella T6 5w40;
Motul 8100 Xcess 5w/40;
Liqui Moly Leichtlauf 5w40.

Moreover, and although additives are tabu on this forum, an initail dosage of Liqui Moly Ceratec is a common additive for these motors, followed by their MoS2 in later oil changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SlavaB
Hi Gents,

Thanks for all the comments and discussion.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/532720-oil-confusion-2.html

M1 0w40 has 1100 zinc and seems to be loved by AMG folks in US.
I personally run this oil in my MB and the car is happy with it.
BTW there's an OEM MB AMG oil out there if you're into a little challenge of trying to get it.

The new spec now for the c63 engines is 5w/40 - 0w/40 is not recommended due to lifter bleed down issues.
wink.gif

Ok then, seems like you're just not sure what your looking for
smile.gif

There's 2 factory fill oils
Mobil 1 Formula M 5w40
OEM 5w40
Both available on eBay and Amazon.

And yes, as juggernaut said M1 0w40 FS is superior to M1 5w40

Hi
I live in EU (hopefully not for much longer) and I have never seen a fuel station with an oil removal pump.

Tikka.

Nope. (you live on an rainy, near woodless isle)

Aral - or: old BP stations, but now Aral - had it ofttiems. And have it odd even.

Last edited:
Haha. You post my link?

Again: I am a friend of 5w-40
55.gif
But I see nothing especial on 229.5 Bevo. Without warranty clambake, "by us", its Redline 5w-40, Ravenol RCS, Rowe Hightec Synth RS 5W-40, Fuchs Titan Race Pro S (not "R") and any few others. Few...

If 5W-40 with approvals, I am for Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 (not with HX_something in the name) with a bit Penrite RZTT (950 -> 1100 zinc).
Molakule have a excellent formels to calculate it.

And finally, that's it. I can't much more help you. Do it. Do anything
56.gif

So long.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer
Haha. You post my link?

55.gif
But I see nothing especial on 229.5 Bevo. Without warranty clambake, "by us", its Redline 5w-40, Ravenol RCS, Rowe Hightec Synth RS 5W-40, Fuchs Titan Race Pro S (not "R") and any few others. Few...

If 5W-40 with approvals, I am for Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 (not with HX_something in the name) with a bit Penrite RZTT (950 -> 1100 zinc).

56.gif

So long.

I seriously do not have a clue what you talking about.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Haha. You post my link?

55.gif

56.gif

So long.

I seriously do not have a clue what you talking about.

Yup - I kinda struggle understanding what he's saying also
confused2.gif
think he means well tho

Last edited:
Oh... Ok. Who says that officially?
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/474058-what-correct-engine-oil-0w40-5w40.html

That is the official position of AMG read this..post #10.

AMG lounge also confirmed that 5w40 is now the "recommended" oil not 0w40.

My local dealership also says the same for 5w40

That post number 10 is heresay and was back in 2012, yet my manual says either and I also understand the AMG academy uses Mobil 1 0w40. Your local dealership will say 5w40 because thats what they buy in bulk and its a cheaper oil to buy than a 0w40. My MB dealership had no problem filling my car with the Castrol Edge 0w40 i supplied.

The main reason people use 5w/40 in these motors is not because of the lifter bleed down issue (that was generally fixed in later models) but to reduce the oil consumption these motors can exhibit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back