New Rider Eager to hear from long timers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Biker Wave*
I Just got my license a month ago and picked up a 2011 CBR250R 3 weeks ago. I have already put 800 miles on it, and have been up to 85mph on the freeway. I have commuted to work several times now. All I can say is WOW. Motorcycles are exhilarating. It is perhaps the closest feeling to being a fighter pilot. Another way I describe it is having my own personal roller coaster. I am in love.

The reason I got a motorcycle was to answer the sports car consternation in a state with abysmal winters. For a while I thought I would get a mustang, but what really discouraged me about that was the simple torture of watching my fun muscle car decaying in the winter weather. Not only that, but driving RWD in winter as a DD might be a headache. I thought why not have a beater car and a muscle car? Eh, not enough garage space. I don't want to deal with cleaning snow and ice off the beater in the winter. Finally, the answer came to me.

My dad rides motorcycles, and he was always talking to me about his latest project. He's bought and sold over 7 bikes in the last 10 years. He's logged 70k+ miles and has never had an accident. So the motorcycle became my revelation. I can still store it and the beater in the garage over winter. I don't have to watch salt destroy it. The performance is also insane. For 10 grand, I can get a motorcycle that will spank most sporty cars in the straight line. I am just dumbfounded at how fun these machines are. I bought a Dianese 2 piece suit, and feel like a power ranger in it. My little CBR250R will need upgrading next year probably.

Who here has logged lots of miles? Do you feel like the danger aspect is not worth riding? Do you ride for fun or practicality?

That picture is the rebel 250 I learned on at the MSF course.

3E69CFF9-8067-4168-AB76-95421BD2AD96.jpeg

Last edited:
good on your for taking the MSF course.

Try to get only bikes with functioning ABS brakes. Use good tires, keep correctly inflated, not over inflated.

Remember that your second year is the most dangerous.

Get some good motorcycle books to study over the winter. Keith Code a twist of the wrist is a good one. There are some good you tube videos. Never stop learning.

Get some good armored gear. dress for the slide, and enjoy the ride.

I've owned several motorcycles over the years. My last bike was a little known brand, a Aprilia Shiver 750.
My wife and I tried having a baby and told myself I had too much luck not being involved in a life changing accident and decided to quit riding for good.
Our dreams of becoming parents never happened but I have no desire to ride a motorcycle ever again.
The danger is NOT worth it. Far too many people playing around on their smartphone behind the wheel.
Riding a motorcycle isn't worth it. Do yourself a favor and get a sports car.

if someone pulls out in front of you while in a car you might walk away from it. If your on a bike, you might be in a wheelchair for the rest of your life.

And if your going to keep riding, get rid of that slow CBR250R. That bike doesn't have enough power to get out of trouble, especially at freeway speeds.

When I rode, I spent too much time mentally on the what if's. Like if I'm passing a vehicle to the right on the freeway I'd think about the out if he/she jumped into my lane; like is the breakdown lane clear?
Far too much time spent on the what if's. And assuming because the person is looking at you while stopped at a stoplight or stop sign as your about to drive by means nothing. Where's your out if they pull out
in front of you?

Hi Kurtatron

I have been riding now fpr many years.
Good on taking the safety course
I just got back today from North Carolina near Robbinsville
We rode about 1200 miles the last 4 days.
We had a blast. We as in a group of 4 men.
We have been riding together for 18 years now. Obviously we enjoy it
Look for a group you enjoy and can ride with. Its OK if it takes you a few groups to find the right group
We went around Lake Superior last summer. This year we went to Ozark Mtns in Arkansas, 17 days to the west and spent time
in Colorado, Utah, and Arizona before heading back to AL
And of course NC to the smoky mtns.
We all encourage you to find some guys who you enjoy, have been riding for years and ride and learn from them
They can help you stay away from some of the dangers out there.
Anyhow congrats. Keep practicing, learn how to take care of the bike and maintain her, and enjoy the rides

Bob

Remember this cars can't see you .You don't have the right of way and the only reason other vehicles on the road are to hit you or make left turn in front of you and never use the cell phone while riding.

I learned to ride on a Yamaha DT1 in the mid 70s. I've ridden well over 100K on several bikes, then slowly the fun wore out and I just quit.

Riding can be fun, but it is not practical by any means. Maintenance costs, tires in particular, will completely destroy any fuel savings. What 1 tire costs (especially if you pay someone to change it) and how fast it wears out will amaze you, and you can get away with cheap crap tires on a car, but don't do it on a bike.

Rain will frequently ruin your day. Riding in rain is slow, dangerous and miserable. Try to commute on your bike and you'll be riding in it way more often than you'd think.

Any time you might save in traffic will be eaten up gearing & ungearing yourself and more frequent refueling. And always wear your gear, no matter how hot it is! You will need it sooner or later.

Riding with a group makes it more fun and safer as others said.

I'm 71 and after 54 years of riding and racing I've lived 3 life times on motorcycles...
I'd still gamble everything for one more perfect corner...

1966 Honda S90

[Linked Image from farm3.static.flickr.com]

1994 RC45 at the same spot 43 years later...
[Linked Image from farm4.static.flickr.com]

Tahoe sweeper...
[Linked Image from farm1.staticflickr.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by skyactiv
And if your going to keep riding, get rid of that slow CBR250R.

+1
Your more of a hazard on the road with that, than with a larger CC bike.
Once you've had a few "close calls", you'll understand.
I went from a 125CC Vino 125 scooter, straight to an SV650S (and when on the highway, I often wished I sprung a few extra bucks for a 1000CC with better riding position).

I Don't believe a more powerful bike is safer. PLENTY of big bike riders have POWERED themselves into accidents/danger.
Defensive driving is what saves your neck (not my first choice of words) on a bike.

I did 24,000 miles on a Vespa 150 and 112,000 miles on a BMW 500cc twin. Sane driving on them & I stayed safe to now have over 300,000 miles on bikes.

One wreck so far where I was looking at the mountain scenery on the left and ran off the road to the right...into a culvert and went vertical. Totaled my 1986 BMW K75C @ 146,000 miles.

Freeways? I commuted in Houston to work for 42 years. Starting on that Vespa 150.

I've had several motorcycles in my 63 years, currently have a 2008 Harley Heritage Classic. I always wear a helmet, never ride at night and avoid big highways. Riding has become very dangerous due to cell phones. In my opinion it was much safer in the late 70's/early 80's. I've had several close calls in the past year. Seriously thinking about selling it. Stay upright my friend and good luck with the bike.

Thanks for the responses. I love reading how some of you managed riding for so many years without being seriously injured. Today while riding I rode more relaxed. I didn't accelerate as hard as possible, or try to show off to anyone, I just calmly focused on watching traffic around me, rather than joy riding. I am convinced riding with an eye for safety rather than an eye for turning streets into race courses will keep me alive. For the sake of riding, I must temper my need for speed and keep a diligent watch on traffic around me. Any ideas what my next bike should be? I was thinking a CBR600rr.

Last edited:
I've been riding for 40 years. My advice would be to: 1} ride for recreation only, rather than commuting, and try to avoid roads with heavy traffic. Quieter roads are safer and more enjoyable. Daily commuting is pretty risky with the volume of traffic and number of inattentive drivers now days. 2} Extra lighting - buy a pair of really bright driving lights (they make compact LED ones), and mount them low down on the fork legs or engine guards if you have them. Three points of light grab a drivers attention much faster than just the headlight. I've personally witnessed a couple of nasty accidents with the car turning left in front of the bike because they just didn't see the bike. Both of those riders were very badly injured. A car turning left in front of a bike is a leading cause of biker fatalities. So, extra lighting.

BTW, I think your bike is a great choice for beginning on. A bigger bike will bet you into trouble faster, it's good to get some experience on a smaller bike first.

What I would do different is protect my hearing on every ride... either
with $2 foamies or $150 custom molded ear plugs... you can even
order them with tiny Sony digital speakers... this set up will cut 30db
of wind noise and allow every note of the music through even at
low volumes... perfect...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I added a light weight Xact Sirius satellite receiver... Moozic non stop...

I tested 3 sets of the custom molded ear plugs that are on the market
and the ones made by Marylin Navia at Now Hear This are the most
comfortable and the quietest not to mention they do not move out of
place putting the skid lid on...

http://plugup.com/cart/index.php

And finally I interfaced Mr.RC45's Oh Sh*t Detector into the ear plugs ...

My advice is to get as much riding instruction as you can. Take some roadracing classes, some dirtbike riding classes. The MSF classes are just a start.

Knowing how to instinctively handle a bike in any situation, makes you a better rider.

I don't know the exact number, but my best guesstimate is somewhere around 500k miles on bikes. Started at 6 on dirtbikes, raced motocross, roadraced, helped teach MSF and roadracing schools.

For me, riding is strictly for fun. Is it dangerous? absolutely. Lots of distracted or just indifferent drivers out there, road hazards, wildlife. I usually just ride with my wife, each on our own bike. We have four sportbikes to choose from. She's been riding since the age of 6, too. Other than roadracing, we usually ride lightly traveled two-lane roads midweek, when there's even less traffic. Stay alert, and assume you are invisible.

The CBR600 is a good sportbike. Probably the friendliest of the 600's, and there are lots of them out there. The R6, GSXR, and Ninja are all harder-edged and more pure performance focused, and thus a bit less tolerable on the street.

Ignore those fools tossing shade at your CBR- they have no idea how much motorcycle power has boomed and your CBR250 is perfect for the USA. Ride it for 1-3 years to get comfortable, then if you feel like upgrading you will be better educated. Feel free to use the upper RPM's as that what is needed. Keep that bike in good shape, as they tend to hold decent resale value and are in demand in the spring and summer.

I am not sure how many miles I have logged, but I would estimate from 400k to 500k since 1982 and my first street bike.
The below list may not be complete, but these are the models that stick out in my mind.

Yamaha YZ125
Yamaha YZ465
Yamaha YZ490
Yamaha Vision 550 (first real street bike and a great commuter bike)
Yamaha Seca Turbo 650 (quirky bike)
Yamaha Vmax
Suzuki Katana 1100
Yamaha GTS-1000 (current)

========= Protect Your Hearing ===========

Wind noise in certain situations or certain bikes is a concern, so get some earplugs. +999 to BusyLittleShop.

My last bike was a Suzuki T250J Hustler. I bought it in Atlanta during the first gas crisis and got rid of it in 1976. In the fall of 1975 I was wearing (stupidly) shorts and laid it down on a grade crossing at about ten miles an hour during a light rain. That hot pipe really stung on my bare skin. I figured out that if 10 mph hurt that much piling up at fifty wouldn't be worth it. Didn't do much riding during the last six months I had it.

Also remember a 50 cc Honda that I was stupid enough to try to ride home from college in Brookings SD in the early sixties. Started out at fifty degrees in December and was about 20 when I gave it up and had a friend pick me up about 25 miles from home. We got it into the back seat of his father's 54 Plymouth.

Love the memories and about every decade I duck into a motorcycle dealer. I'd be terrified of an accident even if I wasn't in my mid seventies.

Still remember the feeling of having the air temperature change as you take a slow rise in the street at 40 mph. Still have a recurring dream about finding my Suzuki in a barn or garage and firing it up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back