06 Corolla can I use Redline MT-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it safe to use Redline MT-90 in my 5 speed, will it harm or void my warranty?
Thanks in advance to all who reply.

I don't believe the API sells licenses for gear oil the way they do for motor oil (i.e. the Starburst on the front of a motor oil bottle). So long as that's the case and your book calls for a 75W90 GL-4 gear oil, it cannot void your warranty.

Is it ok to use GL5?
Also I was at a store today that sold Lucas synthetic 75w-90. Is that good gear oil?

The Corolla specs a GL5 75W90 Gear Lube for use as Manual Transmission Lubricant. So, it would need a fluid with a GL5 level of additives for sufficient protection. You should not be concerned about using a GL5 lube in this transmission as it is actually designed for it, unlike most.

So, Redline 75W90NS would be the preferred oil for this app as it contains a GL5 level of additives but without the friction modifiers for the limited-slip differentials that most GL5 75W90 gear lubes have, at least according to Redline. But any 75W90 GL5 rated gear lube should work, so M1 75W90, Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90, etc would be fine. But it's best to use a 75W90 GL5 rated Manual Transmission lube, so contact Molakule to blend you a GL5 rated MTL-R!
grin.gif

Clarify the fluid recommendation. GL4/GL5 is too confusing sine "/" doesn't mean anything.

Does Toyota use the word "OR"?

Or, post a picture of the owners manuals fluid recommendation page.

Ok I ordered the Redline 75W-90 NS GL5. Hopefully this was a wise decision.

quote:

Or, post a picture of the owners manuals fluid recommendation page.

My Pontiac Vibe's owners manual is available on line. As you know the base Vibe has the Toyota 1zzfe engine and the Toyota transmission. The manual states "GL5 75W-90".

Hence the reason why I got the 75-90NS for the GL5. Makes sense I think.

quote:

So, Redline 75W90NS would be the preferred oil for this app as it contains a GL5 level of additives but without the friction modifiers for the limited-slip differentials that most GL5 75W90 gear lubes have, at least according to Redline. But any 75W90 GL5 rated gear lube should work, so M1 75W90, Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90, etc would be fine. But it's best to use a 75W90 GL5 rated Manual Transmission lube, so contact Molakule to blend you a GL5 rated MTL-R!

Our MTL-R is already a dual rated GL5/GL4 fluid and has been since February 1st of 2005.

I don't recommend differential lubes for manual transmissions since the viscosity and additive mix of differential lubes does nothing for cold weather shifting. The friction modifiers in differential lubes and manual transmission lubes are two entirely different animals.

Use the correct fluid for the right application.

In answer to your original question, yes you can use MT90 since your manual transmission is speced for that weight of fluid.

However, if your shifting and cold weather operation is less than ideal, MTL-R has been shown to work very well in trannies requiring a 75W90 MT lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back