Long term EDGE users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by buster
Mobil 1 has put out many detailed videos of engine testing and tear downs showing the results of the engine condition. Numerous tests. They just do an excellent job of showing you proof of performance compared to most companies.

You never see anything close to what Mobil does from any other oil maker. I've never seen a video of 15k-20k drains over hundreds of thousand of miles from any blender. Mobil is much more transparent than the competitors.

The others are simply "believe our claims".

Don't agree....

Chevron Havoline did a good video on their Havoline Pro DS... Motor tear down... And that motor run with the Havoline Pro DS looked great.

Good point and those motors were from Las Vegas taxis with 150,000 miles on them with the Pro DS. Considering the fact that there is plenty of idling due to the needs of air conditioning, those engines looked really good.

Originally Posted by Cheburashka
Well said. Agree. In the past there was a lot of skepticism of the brand and it's ability to keep engines clean and varnish free. However none of that was conclusive by any means. M1 for example has a known reputation for keeping engines extremely clean, as well as providing a lot of videos of testing showing the actual performance.

Tests done by Mobil 1 ???
I know that European made Castrol 0W40 can do same job as Mobil 1 ..if not better !

I have seen Mobil 1 cleaning ability for myself on our vehicles and equipment. We bought a 2001 Trooper new, and after the factory fill was dumped out, we have used synthetic oil. Amsoil was used at first, and after that PP, Rotella T6. The Trooper now has 155,000+ miles on it. Looking down through the oil fill cap, what I can see of the valvetrain some of the parts of metal has a yellowish, gold varnish, while other parts are darker. If I were to take a picture of the valvetrain, I think a lot of folks would say it was clean (It has had synthetic oil it entire life, after all).

With Mobil having the rebates, I started using it a few years ago. I wasn't expecting anything really, I would have been happy to maintain the level of cleanliness the Trooper already had, because I thought it was pretty good. After running Mobil 1 for a little bit, I looked through the oil cap. Giving Mobil 1 reputation for keeping engines clean, I wasn't really expecting to see any cleaning taking place, but, it was happening. Some of dark metal (behind the timing gear, for instance) is turning lighter and becoming a shiny silver color. Like the color of a new engine, where it is a shiny silver colored metal.

Mobil is doing the same thing in our tractors as well. The metals are becoming shiny silver colored, whereas they were a dark gray color before.

I used Castrol Syntec in the late 90's, and I didn't have good results. It didn't keep our engines clean. Yes, Edge is completely different oil, so, hopefully it is better. All oils have pretty much improved since the 90's.

Mobil 1 has put out many detailed videos of engine testing and tear downs showing the results of the engine condition. Numerous tests. They just do an excellent job of showing you proof of performance compared to most companies.

You never see anything close to what Mobil does from any other oil maker. I've never seen a video of 15k-20k drains over hundreds of thousand of miles from any blender. Mobil is much more transparent than the competitors.

Don't agree....

Chevron Havoline did a good video on their Havoline Pro DS... Motor tear down... And that motor run with the Havoline Pro DS looked great.

Ok yeah that was one like 10 years ago though. Since then nothing lol

But yes that was a well done test.

I never trust video made by Mobil 1 or any other company ,every manufacturer can make video like that !
Tahts why I asked "done by Mobil 1?"

Originally Posted by Cheburashka

I never trust video made by Mobil 1 or any other company ,every manufacturer can make video like that !
Tahts why I asked "done by Mobil 1?"

Well, I do.

Don't agree....

The engine did look good, I saw the video on YouTube a little while ago. It is probably still there.

A point about it, I remember it said the oil drain intervals were 8,000 miles. Shorter than Mobil 1 taxi cab oil drain intervals, but, the engine did look good.

Yeah I didn't mean to make this a thread about Mobil 1, but they have set the standard in my eyes for great marketing and testing. They've had numerous videos and tear down videos over the years. CP has had one, which was good don't get me wrong....

Yeah I didn't mean to make this a thread about Mobil 1, but they have set the standard in my eyes for great marketing and testing. They've had numerous videos and tear down videos over the years. CP has had one, which was good don't get me wrong....

I agree, Mobil 1 sets the standard. They have great marketing and testing. What I like about their testing is not only do their products perform well, but, when they did the engine teardowns, Mobil shows a lot of detail. They show the different parts of the engines being taken apart, like the main bearings. In the videos, the bearings look great, along with the rest of the engine.
And Mobil has done multiple engine teardowns. The other oil companies usually show one.

The one CP did is on the Kendall's website. That is a good one, the taxi was run in New York, instead of Las Vegas.

Quakerstate a little while ago showed a video of the results of an engine teardown from a taxi in New York as well. I mentioned I like the amount of detail in Mobil 1's test results and that they show a lot of the engine. In the Quakerstate video, it showed one piston from the engine, that's it. No view inside the taken apart engine or what the main bearings looked like.

Amsoil did the same thing, they have on their website the results of a teardown of a taxi from Las Vegas. They show pictures of a couple of parts from the engine and several from the transmission. More detail was shown in the transmission parts compared to the engine parts. No pictures of the main bearings of the engine.
I got the feeling Amsoil was picking the best parts to show
Amsoil also did the test where they are showing the main bearings from the F-150's, one run with Signature Series oil and a competitors oil. The pictures of the bearings is being used heavily by their marketing department and dealers.

In the 2nd half of the video they talk bout the endurace test. 1 week of full throttle.

In the 2nd half of the video they talk bout the endurace test. 1 week of full throttle.

Interesting. At the end of the video they flashed to a jug of 0W40 oil. I'd like to see the test and results from engines calling for 20, and 30 grade oils as well.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Interesting. At the end of the video they flashed to a jug of 0W40 oil. I'd like to see the test and results from engines calling for 20, and 30 grade oils as well.

That would be interesting.
thumbsup2.gif

Don't agree....

Actually.... It was like 6 years ago.... Maybe only 5.

I will check and see when it was posted.

Just checked.. the video was posted only 4 years ago...

Not trying to give you a hard time here man... Just sharing information and my thinking on this deal.

You do add a lot of good information and experience on here buster... And you have very good insights and deeper level thinking ability too.

Last edited:
I wasn't taking it that way at all, no worries.
cheers3.gif
You're right it was more recent than I had thought. Good find.

They allude to the Ti additive helping with deposit control. This could be why it did so well on the TEOST test.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I recall XoM photo of piston deposit but the exposure appeared changed by about 3 stops to make the M1 piston look better.

I think I still have that presentation.

So Marketing again.

Clean is one thing, then AW is another. Its a balance,

If you don't have aggregate data of multiple sequence tests, pretty pictures mean absolutely nothing.

I don't know anyone who provides this certification data. Maybe there is a deepthroat out there.
_________

I will say the oil that keeps down instances of hot or cold stuck rings is
one of the most important characteristic of a good oil

I have a PDF of

Mobil 1 Technology - Riccardo mtg 5-27-2008.PDF

is there anyway to upload it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back