Deer Warning Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do these things work? They've been around for years.

C125665B-7FAD-4580-B673-04D112A422B0.jpeg

I once asked a park ranger about these. He said, in his experience, if a deer was on the side of the road, "the deer might look up to see what the noise was", but it's not loud enough to 'scare' them away. For what it's worth....

Originally Posted by chainblu
I once asked a park ranger about these. He said, in his experience, if a deer was on the side of the road, "the deer might look up to see what the noise was", but it's not loud enough to 'scare' them away. For what it's worth....

Heard the same thing.

I have co-workers who commute who swear by them. I have other coworkers who commute who have the front end of their cars destroyed by a deer with those on the fenders.

There are a number of studies that clearly indicate that deer whistles don't work. There will always be a few fools that buy them.

I would not hold any faith in those whistles , I'm sure you know how dumb the white tails are when they spook, you don't know what way they will go when they are on the side of the road. I would be more worried about Elk, or Moose!

Our white tails don't migrate and just live year round in a narrow corridor on the valley floor. They ignore me from 50 yards or so when I'm mowing my lawn on the lawn tractor if my dogs are in the house. They get used to you.

Like Ron White said, some people wake up at 3:00am dress in camo, whisper, pour deer wiz on their boots, have a rifle that fires a projectile at 3000 feet per second and still don't get a deer. Some of us are so skilled we can kill a deer with a mini van!

Its not a matter of "IF" its "WHEN" will you hit a deer when you live this far north! My when has already happened.

Where I live it is deer strike central. I have used the passive deer alerts myself, and many others I know have used them. They either don't work at all or they are only minimally effective. I did hit a deer with them installed.
What I have gone with is an active Hopkins 27512VA nVISION Trailblazer Electronic Deer Alert and it does appear to work. https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-27512VA-nVISION-Trailblazer-Electronic/dp/B0000DYV3N/
I can see the deer's reaction to it, and, I haven't even had any close calls since installing it. When they hear me coming they look right at me, turn the other way, and run the opposite direction (rather than cross my path).
There is also the Hornet Electronic Deer Avoidance System, https://www.amazon.com/Hornet-Electronic-Avoidance-System-Black/dp/B018R6AZY4. I can't endorse it because I haven't used it, and it is expensive.

Last edited:
My mother put these on when she moved to a rural area with deer. Never thought they'd work due to the amount of bugs getting mashed up inside them.

I've never used them / I think it would be minimally effective / and for how long ?

If your retired, the best way to reduce vehicle/deer collisions is to, 'stay off the road while their feeding".

For most people, be aware of areas where deer cross the road.

I personally have lowered the deer population in New Jersey by two with substantial damage to my cars! Now, if every driver out there would step up and make the same commitment, we could eliminate this problem once and for all!

The deer seem to be getting a little smarter. I see a lot of deer on the edge of the road but not in the road. The deer are back in my backyard now. I think they winter back there and then go elsewhere for the summer.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
There are a number of studies that clearly indicate that deer whistles don't work. There will always be a few fools that buy them.

This. Some say it won't hurt
smirk2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back