Best way to remove snow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by skyactiv
(Picture of Honda Odyssey covered in snow)
See that every winter !! I've seen worse, in fact.

I stopped driving in snow. Taking 2 hours to go 20 miles. No thanks. People either going 10 mph with white knuckles or crazy people going 50 mph who wind up in ditches. No thanks.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Bucket of hot water, duh!

I have a brother in law that lives in Minnesota. He works nights for a college (don't know which one and don't care). He tells the story about one January morning when he got off work and his pickup was covered in ice/snow/frost or whatever nastiness it is that ya'll have up there. He tossed a bucket of hot water on the windshield to clear it.

The windshield shattered as soon as the hot bucket o' water hit it in whatever grossly sub-zero temperature ya'll have up there.

Originally Posted by painfx
Winter is coming soon. What is the best way to remove the snow on the vehicle without scratching/marring the paint?
Please share your experiences.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by OILJUNKIE
Move to Arizona.

Well................ parts of it. Some years ago I attended the mid term graduation of my niece from NAU in Flagstaff, elevation 7000 ft. We spent the night in nearby Williams but never made the ceremonies on time ................. snowbound. Some of the most beautiful scenery, ponderosa, and snow anywhere.

Originally Posted by mclasser
Originally Posted by PimTac
I clear the snow on the windows and mirrors. The rest will fall off on its own.

In many states it's illegal to not clear off the entire car.

It is here, and I love seeing the people who don't do it get pulled over and fined for not clearing the snow from their cars. Driving is dangerous enough around here, having sidewalk sized slabs of snow slamming off a windshield is something that can be eliminated by clearing snow off a car before driving it.

Just start shoveling.
[Linked Image]

Joking aside, I like using a Snow-Joe.
It's way more effective then a Snow-Brush.
I keep one in the garage and one in the vehicle.
It's the way Car Dealers clean the snow off.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by mclasser

In many states it's illegal to not clear off the entire car.

It is here, and I love seeing the people who don't do it get pulled over and fined for not clearing the snow from their cars. Driving is dangerous enough around here, having sidewalk sized slabs of snow slamming off a windshield is something that can be eliminated by clearing snow off a car before driving it.

+1.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
I walk to my car, remember I live in the South, look at my snow-free vehicle, jump up and click my heels, go about my business.

Exactly. The only way to properly protect a vehicle from Winter weather, is to not allow it to be subjected to it in the first place. Everything else is accomplishing nothing, except making you feel better until you notice the first rust.

Snow doesn't just fall when it's convenient, as in your car will be in the garage. It can snow while people are at work with no garage, for example.

I had a garage door spring break once and had to park outside. I didn't want to scrap frost so I placed a space heater in my GTI. Worked great, but probably used $1 in electricity.

It really depends on how much you get and consistency, fluffy definitely works.

If it is wetter its dangerous and thankfully illegal(any snow) in New England states at least because it tends to (re)freeze then fly off in ice chunks.

I laughed watching a BMW lady in short shirt/heels no jacket in a mad snow storm/winds clearing her car (half windshield exposed) by hand while a state trooper with lights watched. I presume she [censored] him off because he did not hand her a snow brush.

I'm not a fan of putting daily drivers in garages. On the first warm day, your car is going to be like an evaporator coil and start sweating because it's still below freezing. That, and the salt that drips off and soaks into the slab and then will work its way back to the car and rot it out.

I have seen people put tarps over their car to keep the snow off. Then just brush and shake the tarp off

Originally Posted by OILJUNKIE
Move to Arizona.

Or Houston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back