Considering Solar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by Ws6

Yeah, but he said new construction and in TX. Friends house is in San Antonio and is early 2000s.

I missed that, good point... mine was clearly built by the lowest bidder in 1971. I don't know how you screw up the squareness of a room by over 4", but they did.

Lol wut? That's wild.

Got a quote for a 8.05kW system. Assuming conservative energy saving per year and factoring Federal tax credits...my break even is 5.78 years. Appreciate all the info everyone.

Originally Posted by mbacfp
Got a quote for a 8.05kW system. Assuming conservative energy saving per year and factoring Federal tax credits...my break even is 5.78 years. Appreciate all the info everyone.

How much?

Solar quote (no batteries) is $24,000...Federal Tax credit if I also include roof cost towards is $12,429...thus $11,571 for Solar. North American Solar panels and Solar Edge Store Edge 7600 inverter. That sound reasonable? So far my best quote.

Thanks Jeff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mbacfp
Solar quote (no batteries) is $24,000...Federal Tax credit if I also include roof cost towards is $12,429...thus $11,571 for Solar. North American Solar panels and Solar Edge Store Edge 7600 inverter. That sound reasonable? So far my best quote.

Thanks Jeff.

Call Infinity Energy, ask for Chase Overton
Tell him Jeff Keryk from Los Gatos referred you.

3855 Atherton Rd.
Rocklin, CA 95765

Office: 916-918-0455

Good luck.

Infinity Energy

My panels went up today.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Flipped on for a trial run before the new meter goes in to make sure it all works. Even today, it spun the meter backward at a fair clip until the HVAC kicked on (that's with a fair amount of lights and my computer and a deep-freeze, hot water heater, fridge, and minifridge running). Go-live date in the next week.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Mine should be going up tomorrow...signed the contract WAY before the family upheaval, and am now only using 10KWh/day, in the second half of winter.

Will be overkill...but that'sthe way the balls dropped.

24x275W panels...so nominally 6.6KW

Off the optimum angle,but the tilt kit to correct that would have cost another $1,600, for $100 p.a. better electricity balance...not worth it to this engineer.

Solo, I'm onlyusing 10KW/day,including 1.2KW on the Sauna, so will have 12 (on average) heading out to the grid

Last edited:
Congrats on the panels!
I love electronics I love the idea of panels but will not be in my future. I have seen the panels in action on homes.

Being we live in an HOA its not allowed. But with that said, I can only hope to live long enough to see any possible benefit. I think the technology will evolve a lot in the next ten years though and prices come down once the Federal Government stops giving people money from other peoples paychecks to buy them. :eek:)

The expiration of the solar tax credits will force lower prices and lower profits to the provider and installers of the panels.
One thing I found interesting and never gave it much thought ...

People in CA were caught off guard not knowing if the power grid is down their solar panels do not work. More or less solar panels on your house do not power your house if the electric grid is down for any reason, makes sense once you think about it.
There is a way around that, but very expensive and no one does it. Also most sales people do not bring it up, because people assume because they have solar panels they will have power. Nope.

alarmguy, in Oz, they tellyou right at the first phone call that they do not provideblackout power.

An Oz battery behind the meter (Redback) can provide that utility of being blackout proof (for a while)

Solar panels will only power your house during a power failure if you have a battery backup system. The excess will still feed in to the grid.

Originally Posted by Shannow
alarmguy, in Oz, they tellyou right at the first phone call that they do not provideblackout power.

An Oz battery behind the meter (Redback) can provide that utility of being blackout proof (for a while)

Hey, dont misunderstand my post. Im not knocking solar.
Here is the USA unlike Oz most people are not aware, meaning full disclosure was not provided to the homeowner that solar will not power your house if the electric grid is down in your area. Im not saying no one knows but it was big enough news here during the California blackouts because of the forest fires, people with solar were surprised that they too had no power.. Meaning it will not work during a power outage.

Sure, money can fix anything but very rare anyone will double the cost of their system having a back up power supply installed for their solar panels as this is the only way to have solar power during a black out/power outage.

I think solar is pretty cool for anyone who thinks they will be in the same home for a couple decades and good roof to install it on, most here aren't lucky enough to have it remote.Then there are areas, like where I live that ban them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by Shannow

Hey, dont misunderstand my post. Im not knocking solar.
Here is the USA unlike Oz most people are not aware, meaning full disclosure was not provided to the homeowner that solar will not power your house if the electric grid is down in your area. Im not saying no one knows but it was big enough news here during the California blackouts because of the forest fires, people with solar were surprised that they too had no power.. Meaning it will not work during a power outage.

Sure, money can fix anything but very rare anyone will double the cost of their system having a back up power supply installed for their solar panels as this is the only way to have solar power during a black out/power outage.

I think solar is pretty cool for anyone who thinks they will be in the same home for a couple decades and good roof to install it on, most here aren't lucky enough to have it remote.Then there are areas, like where I live that ban them.

Solar owners in CA understand how their solar works.
I am not sure why you think we were caught off guard.
I can tell you the solar companies offer battery based "off the grid" options; they would love the upsale...
Anyways, everyone I know loves their solar.
All good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back