Fram XG10060 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Thats a dirty engine.

This is its first O/C since i changed out the FF at 4.2k. This DI engine must b hard on oil.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Did you check to see that there is an air filter installed?

Nope, plan on checking tht next O/C.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Did you check to see that there is an air filter installed?

Nope, plan on checking tht next O/C.

Hahahhaha

Originally Posted By: Branson304
If the engine is direct injection then that explains why the oil looks so rough for the miles. Lol No big deal.

Yup DI 2.5L I4.

Last edited:
If the engine is direct injection then that explains why the oil looks so rough for the miles. Lol No big deal.

Branson304 - is this all DI engines or specific makes and models?

Thats a dirty engine.

Is this a joke referring to some of the other posts on the Twitter feed?
crackmeup2.gif

https://twitter.com/thamechanic94/status/427679708931584000

Made me laugh.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
You can't tell how hard an engine is on oil just because the filter looks dirty.

Jhellwig - how then?

Used Oil Analysis. UOA. It is also a pretty well established fact that you cannot tell anything from the color of the oil other than the color of the oil. Nevrtheless, the brain washing continues: Signs Of Wear; Dark, dirty-appearing oil. http://www.acdelco.com/auto-parts/filters/professional-oil-filter.html

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-how-to-decide-what-is-normal/

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
You can't tell how hard an engine is on oil just because the filter looks dirty.

Jhellwig - how then?

Used Oil Analysis. UOA.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-how-to-decide-what-is-normal/

Yep. Looking at something that operate on a level that you cannot see with you bare eye has no meaning. Kinda like a butt dyno.

Branson304 - is this all DI engines or specific makes and models?

Well it seems to be common in most direct injection engines yes. The oil I have seen come out of most Ford EcoBoosts is pretty dark in 5,000-6,000 miles. Does this mean the oil is worn out? Not necessarily. But it does seem common for direct injection engines to be much harder on oil. I can run Pennzoil Platinum for 8,000 miles with 1/4 of it towing in my 6.2Ls and the oil will still be light brown, but my friend's 2016 Escape 2.0L EcoBoost will turn oil nearly black in 6,000 miles of highway. Lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Thats a dirty engine.

This is its first O/C since i changed out the FF at 4.2k. This DI engine must b hard on oil.

Wow. Although color means nothing, I wonder what the inside of that engine is going to look like @ 100K miles. Post back in a few years and let us know.
wink.gif

My girlfriend's 2015 Malibu uses that size filter but it is the LTZ with LTG so it is a 2.0L GTDI (same as Camaro, ATS, Buick, Equinox, etc...) and with Amsoil SS 5W-30 at 7500 mile OCI's, it looks absolutely filthy. It also consumes oil much more than any other engine I've worked on. At 68k miles, I could only get maybe 3 or 4 qt out of the pan, and I had to pour 2 qt of make up oil during a 5400 mile road trip.

I have other GTDI engines, and the oil generally isn't as bad. My 2.7 EcoBoost seems to be easier on the oil than the 3.5 EcoBoost in my 2014 SHO. At 7k miles, the 2.7 oil looked and smelled a lot better than the oil from the Malibu's 2.0 and the 2.7 is tuned for a lot more power output. I just flashed the Malibu with my latest tune to see if it will help (disabled COT, leaned out the PE at WOT so it makes more lean power) to try and stop it from dumping a lot of fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back