Cheap Chinese dash cam and ignition noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a 16 dollar '1080p' dash camera on eBay and installed it into my '08 Kia Rondo. The quality is about what I expected for the cost of 2 McDonald's meals; terribly confusing instruction manual, grainy overzoomed video, flimsy as [censored] build quality..my main issue is that it picks up massive ignition noise any time the car is running that completely drowns out any other sound the camera might pick up. Is there anything I could try to eliminate the noise aside from disabling audio recording?

I would get a better quality camera and cut my losses. That sound would drive me crazy and $16 isn't a huge loss.

Try a better USB charger for it. I stick to Anker brand chargers for good reason. I don't trust the in-box chargers - there might not be enough safeguards against ground loops and inference in their circuitry.

I use a Nexar camera, it's an off-the-shelf Chinese egg-shaped cam that uses my phone to store clips.

Ignition noise is usually a ground loop issue, not necessarily the piece of hardware's fault.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Try running the power and ground directly to the battery. The battery may act as a filter.

It usually uses usb and 5 volt input.

Originally Posted by wemay
I would get a better quality camera and cut my losses. That sound would drive me crazy and $16 isn't a huge loss.

After seeing everyone else's response, i see how useless mine's is. My apologies.
eek.gif

Try a charged up battery pack to see if the problem is the camera or through the accessory outlet? Those portable USB batteries, if you have one handy should be good for isolation testing.

If you still have the noise while running from that battery, nothing will fix it.

You didn't link to it nor mention the power setup so it's useless to tell us it's a cam since not all do that.

If it is powered by a lighter outlet to 5V USB adapter, try a better quality adapter, or try putting a typical LC filter (usually meant for radios) on the lighter outlet power feed, though if it is really the adapter itself making the noise instead of ignition noise getting through, that may not help.

I assume you're using the factory spec'd (type of) resistor spark plugs and wires?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back