Craftsman Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Craftsman Tools are alive and well at Rona (in Canada) and apparently at Lowe's. Took this shot in Calgary. Enjoy.

F194C53F-C3E4-43F0-B698-43A11EE4E9BB.jpeg

I actually bought some recently. I don't like made in PRC but wanted an extension set fast and they were inexpensive. Fantastic large complete set of extensions with every adapter imaginable for under 25. The quality seems very high on the sockets, extensions, and breaker bars. Same lifetime warranty and no receipt required. The sockets click off and on with perfect resistance not to hard and not too easy. All sockets and adapters have the snap on style relieved corners to drive on the flats not the points.

Does anyone know if Lowe's will replace a broken craftsman tool without receipt like sear's did?
I have a ratchet that's gone bad. Thanks.

They've been in non-Sears outlets for at least a couple years now. Lots of places like Ace Hardware carry them around here.

Stanley Black and Decker just started construction on a new tool manufacturing plant just outside of Fort Worth-they're planning on bringing back some of the tool production that moved to China.

Originally Posted by rollinpete
Does anyone know if Lowe's will replace a broken craftsman tool without receipt like sear's did?

My understanding is that yes, Lowes stores will replace them, no questions asked. At first, there seemed to be some confusion with different stores though and of course, that got changed to "Lowes won't replace Craftsman tools" and spread across the 'net. Some of it was also related to part numbers, as in, the 3/8" standard ratchet you bring in has p/n 123456 but the current 3/8" standard ratchet is now p/n 123567 and there were apparently cases of "we don't have the same part to exchange".

Craftsman says warranty is to be honored at any "stocking retail partner", i.e. if company "x" agrees to sell Craftsman tools, they also agree to process warranty replacement for customers. Today that's Lowes, Ace Hardware, and others.

I own some old Made in the USA Craftsman tools. If they ever break I wont be replacing them with cheap Chinese junk.

just last week I bought a set of craftsman combination wrenches at Lowes..seem to be pretty good quality..i was in a hurry when I picked the wrenches up and didnt really look at all the craftsman stuff there but it sure seemed well stocked with things

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
I own some old Made in the USA Craftsman tools. If they ever break I wont be replacing them with cheap Chinese junk.
Same here although the odds of me breaking them are pretty slim. My usage with them would be 'medium' duty at best !

Originally Posted by FT92
just last week I bought a set of craftsman combination wrenches at Lowes..seem to be pretty good quality..i was in a hurry when I picked the wrenches up and didnt really look at all the craftsman stuff there but it sure seemed well stocked with things
I believe Lowes is pretty much the "new" Sears when it comes to Craftsman tool availability.
Originally Posted by 007
Funny how most Craftsman hand tools went to being made in China but the price never went down!
Why would that be funny. Lower consumer cost was the farthest thing from Craftsman mind when they moved production overseas. What they would tell consumers is, "you should be thankful we did this or you'd be paying more" !

Only if it's like for like. If you have an older tool and it has a different number than what's on the shelf they won't exchange it.

I have never really been a fan of craftsman tools.. Mainly just dont like the way they feel in the hand... They have proven to be descent tools, but I just dont have many in my tool box. I do like the screwdrivers and have those, I like the fact you can fit a socket over the top of the handle for MAXIMUM torque!! With the way Harbor Freight is going, I think I will turn to them for some tools when not on the truck or ebay.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142

Only if it's like for like. If you have an older tool and it has a different number than what's on the shelf they won't exchange it.

That has been my experience as well.

I'm pretty sure that the Craftsman "Professional" line of hand tools are still being made here in the USA. Anyone know the specifics.

I never cared for Black and Decker or Stanley since about the early 1990s when it seemed like they were also moving production all to China.
Maybe I'll change my mind if they build that new production plant in Texas, that would be a VERY good thing. People that buy tools in the USA are still sensitive to
such things even today.

Sad about Sears, they could have been Amazon on the internet but their foolish and idiotic manglement royally screwed up, now "Fast Eddie" Lampert is
sucking the company dry like a vampire.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger

At one time a mechanic just starting out (me included) could go to sears and buy some decent tools that would last but they were not cheap, they were mid priced tools.
A 200 piece set which didn't have the usual fillers just sockets ratchets, swivels, extensions, wrenches, etc was $199,99 in 1973 which today is $1,155 which is far from cheap, it is still $200 so they did reduce the price along with the quality.

The trash they peddle today I wouldn't put in my box, it is not worth the scrap metal its made from. I still have my Craftsman sockets and the deep have a feature that today not common which is a very deep broach, deep enough to grab long engine sensors, try that with new anything inc the new Craftsman, they will not go on. I used the 19mm just yesterday on a temp sensor.
The amazing thing is none have broken and for the first 8 or 9 years I used them every day. The new Chicom stuff is not holding up like that today.

For the DIY I would go with Taiwan stuff if I didn't want to give out a bit more for US or Euro made, the quality is good enough and the price is right.

Sad to say but the Pro Line at HF is on par with the newer Craftsman hand tools and cost MUCH less with a lifetime warranty. NO justification anymore to paying the extra money. In my case I have MANY older SK, Proto, Snap On, Mack and Craftsman "Old Era " tools that will outlive me. Years ago Japan made products were considered poor quality, now they are what others are compared too like those that used to be made in the USA! Guess I am getting old!!!!

Menard's is selling Craftsman tools now too. None of these places have a whole department dedicated to just Craftsman tools, like Sear's though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back