‘99 Arctic Cat 300 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I talked the guy down to $800 for this machine. I feel like that's a solid deal for something that runs, has new tires, not much rust, no issues. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Arctic Cats from this era and what to look for. When was the first Arctic Cat atv? I believe the ‘99 for the 300 was the first or second model year, which is how I talked him down.
From what I gather it is low on power but I'm not looking to race. Just something to putt around with on the trail across my street that only allows Atvs. Thanks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Umm..... I don't see an engine in that thing? Could that be why you talked him down to $800?

Haha I thought the same thing when I first saw the Arctic cats. I guess the engine is under the seat. Also the shifting is different-it has a heel-toe shift lever meaning (I think) toe downshifts and heel upshifts

Those were very good machines. It is a Suzuki engine and it is stout. The engine and transmission were bundled right into the rear end with axle shafts coming directly out of it, IIRC. It was a very efficiently packaged machine and was known for being reliable and long lasting, if taken care of. I almost bought one but then went with an Arctic Cat 375, which was new at the time and had a CVT automatic. It was a great machine, too and was a bit larger. I never had a problem with it. Later, I added an Arctic Cat 650 with a Suzuki V-Twin. That thing was wicked fast, had loads of ground clearance, and a locking front differential. It was a total beast. Once again, I had no issues with it, either, although I didn't run it very long. I did run it hard, though! I was a big fan of Arctic Cat ATV's in those days.

If I ran across one like that for 800 bucks I'd have a hard time passing on it.

That is a clean looking four wheeler, the tires alone are probably worth $300. If the four wheel drive works and engine runs decent , i would by that in a heart beat.

Definitely will not be powerful, but has enough to cruise along just nice on the trails.

Picked it up. Needs some work. Needs carb clean, air oil gas filters, oil change, spark plug, differential oil, wheel bearings, maybe ball joints, rear shock leaking, no brakes work whatsoever. No rotor or caliper in the back, hose just pinched off. Front ones maybe just need to be bled. Doesn't like to idle. Stalls out often, not much response. But doesn't sound like ticking or anything engine wise. Threw some rotella t5 10w-30 in and seems to like it, prob just because whatever was in there was not rated wet clutch and old. Takes forever to warm up. When I got it home the guy said it leaks oil a little from the "top end being rebuilt" so keep an eye on the level. I saw the red rtv when I picked it up but wasn't too concerned with the deal I'm getting. Went riding a little today with my buddy who was trailing behind me and said it smelled like sulfur. We're thinking maybe engine was seized after swamping the thing or something and they had to use trans fluid to free up the rings. Who knows. Just glad I didn't pay more than $800 at this point. Thought I was getting something that didn't need any work at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back