Cleaning Wheels on Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon gents: I have a Tacoma with an alloy with some unknown finish that makes the wheels lool like aluminum. In truth, they are not aluminum. The wheels have these little brown specks that I thought may have been tar. So far, I have tried:

1. Dawn detergent

2. Bug and Tar Remover

3. Ardex Wheel Brightener.

None of them work. I cannot get too aggressive with the treatment, or I will rub the finish right off the wheels. Any ideas for how to remove the little specks from the rims? Thanks.

"Highly effective, acid-free and pH balanced, CarPro Iron X stops rust spots and pre-mature failure of the clear coat by making short work of iron contaminant removal across the entire vehicle! Using Iron X saves time and helps avoid the laborious claying process used in traditional car care regimes. This formulation of CarPro Iron X is safe and effective for use on all car surfaces and will not deteriorate clear coats. This preventative measure puts a stop to pre-mature corrosion."

https://bit.ly/2MPdiAq and https://bit.ly/2kQnAUi

Ed

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
Have you tried "Iron-X" or "clay-bar"?

I'd give both of those a shot..

Thanks, gents. It looks like the Meguiar's product is pretty easy to use. Will definitely give it a shot. My wheels like like crap.

Curious.....what wheels do you have that look like aluminum, but aren't? I know my sister's Highlander has "caps" that provide the bright finish on her wheels, but what's underneath is still aluminum. Please post a pic....I'd like to see what you're talking about.

Originally Posted by buck91
I'm pretty impressed with Meguiars non-acid wheel and tire cleaner (D143) so far.

While this is a somewhat safe bet, it can in-fact ruin your wheels. The wheels on the OP's vehicle are probably clear-coated but if they're anything like mine there's probably very little left.

Originally Posted by Delta
Originally Posted by buck91
I'm pretty impressed with Meguiars non-acid wheel and tire cleaner (D143) so far.

While this is a somewhat safe bet, it can in-fact ruin your wheels. The wheels on the OP's vehicle are probably clear-coated but if they're anything like mine there's probably very little left.

Delta: You're right. Not a whole lot of coating left. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back