Oil Recommendation Mercedes AMG C63 (M156)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I don't honestly think you'll benefit from any kind of extra additive. Modern engine oils have their formulation with all additives in them.

You mean: It's got electrolytes. That's all you needs?
There are approved 229.5 oils with 790 zinc and with 980 zinc, 229.5 oils with ~820 zinc and more boron and more moly, 229.5 oils with ~820 zinc with less boron and more moly, 229.5 oils with more boron and less moly...

For me its to simple, too easy to say: "Thats to complicated dude. Change twice often, nothing can happen." Because? Because we are on Bitog, a OIL forum
smirk2.gif

@Debe
Can you get Penrite in Singapore? "Racing Zinc Top Treat" is a option to Redline Break-in (but be always care when calculate). 1200ppm total are enough.
I have a high regard of it. Actually I use it in my racer (and I was waiting FIVE months for it in the EU
crazy.gif
)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer
Castrol 0W-40 is not the same oil for the last 10 years. Its like talking to a brick wall...

Penrite is cool
thumbsup2.gif

Lol....who said it was the same oil for the last 10 years.

Last edited:
But I don't honestly think you'll benefit from any kind of extra additive. Modern engine oils have their formulation with all additives in them.

You mean: It's got electrolytes. That's all you needs?
There are approved 229.5 oils with 790 zinc and with 980 zinc, 229.5 oils with ~820 zinc and more boron and more moly, 229.5 oils with ~820 zinc with less boron and more moly, 229.5 oils with more boron and less moly...

For me its to simple, too easy to say: "Thats to complicated dude. Change twice often, nothing can happen." Because? Because we are on Bitog, a OIL forum
smirk2.gif

@Debe
Can you get Penrite in Singapore? "Racing Zinc Top Treat" is a option to Redline Break-in (but be always care when calculate). 1200ppm total are enough.
I have a high regard of it. Actually I use it in my racer (and I was waiting FIVE months for it in the EU
crazy.gif
)

Sure, so you probably also have some data to prove that a modern MB engine will benefit from that much of zinc? I don't remember OP talking about racing oil or oil for track days.
Electrolytes -you really think that's all your all got for you?
And yes, I trust 229.5 spec and engineers who've come up with it more than your desire to sell a RL brake-in just because you like it

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SlavaB
Sure, so you probably also have some data to prove that a modern MB engine will benefit from that much of zinc?
Ok. You know now values that I recommend. Know you also ZDDP upper limits of 229.5?

I don't remember OP talking about racing oil or oil for track days.
I spoke not about racing oils. Racing oils have mostly another viskos than 0W-40 or 5W-40...

And yes, I trust 229.5 spec and engineers who've come up with it more than your desire to sell a RL brake-in just because you like it
This is your answer? (To:)
"There are approved 229.5 oils with 790 zinc and with 980 zinc, 229.5 oils with ~820 zinc and more boron and more moly, 229.5 oils with ~820 zinc with less boron and more moly, 229.5 oils with more boron and less moly…"?

You wrote "you sound more like acting than making an argument.". "I trust" is not a argument. You sound more like let us pray.

Last edited:
Sure, so you probably also have some data to prove that a modern MB engine will benefit from that much of zinc?
Ok. You know now values that I recommend. Know you also ZDDP upper limits of 229.5?

I don't remember OP talking about racing oil or oil for track days.
I spoke not about racing oils. Racing oils have mostly another viskos than 0W-40 or 5W-40...

This is your answer? (To:)
"There are approved 229.5 oils with 790 zinc and with 980 zinc, 229.5 oils with ~820 zinc and more boron and more moly, 229.5 oils with ~820 zinc with less boron and more moly, 229.5 oils with more boron and less moly…"?

You wrote "you sound more like acting than making an argument.". "I trust" is not a argument. You sound more like let us pray.

I'm not going to continue this conversation.
I have nothing against you, yet there's clearly a language barrier and instead of trying to understand what I'm talking about you've started screaming across multiple topics that you're being personally targeted by other members.

I'm not going to continue this conversation.
Very obliging. Thank you.

Yep the barrier is still huge, but 3 months ago I knew nothing about english. And still less, about us-english
wink.gif

Thank you very much (and at all) for your(s) understanding. Iam work hard on it
blush.gif

(Iam learning all only by myself)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Debe
The thing about listening to the "manufacturer recommendation" is manufacturers base this on the average time THEY want the engine to last and not wear out during the warranty period. So they are not going to give you advice to make your engine last 200k b/c from a cost benefit perspective they want you buying a new car not prolonging the life of your existing engine.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist - a close friend owns a dealership and this is pretty much straight from the horses mouth - all manufacturers are thinking about their profit margins on the used parts side of the business.

That said some additives are good for certain types of engines (Zinc for flat tappet + a friction modifier) and its best to speak to an engine builder about those issues and not the manufacturer.

Just my opinion by the way and what I pick up talking to a lot in the trade

Tell your friend to stick to selling cars. I worked on development and testing of oils, and manufacturers are developing specification with best protection they think is necessary for engines. They do not have in mind any lifespan of engine. One must take into consideration that today when it comes to oils, it is not only engine protection at stake, but emission system too, which is also very, very expensive equipment.
I would say numerous Mercedes taxis in Europe are proof that your friend is wrong.

1. Merc taxis:
- having near ideal driving profile
- are diesel (still) and not AMG
- taxi firms having pumps for change the engine oil between services (and also many fueal stations having to this day such pumps in the EU)

2. Engine oils are developed now in equally large extent for engines AND they emission systems. Its on many parts, compromises. Felt, the more they protect emission system, than less they protect the engine.
Ok, felt. Maybe Iam once wrong... or not.

If you are a lucky guy and you have a car only with classical 2 catalysts, you must not go such compromises with oil. With a AMG you must (luckily) not use baloney high tech rubbish 229.52, than is developed (like 508 or LL14FE) for one lap WLTP and in order for cars specifications, and not for your daily driving.

You want one with such wee-wee oils in your engine: You want new materials or new coats (or both). And this is more expensive than expensive emission systems. Therefore car manufacturers make now specifications as a balancing act "going long enough" between emission systems and engine.
"Long enoguh" mean for manufacturer, long enough to withdraw from responsibilities to customers.

His friend is right.

But ok. Its clearly, than if a one make his bread with developing such oils, his opinion about such oils is highly impartial. If I wants know how good anything is, I ask the developer/manufacturer of it. Of course... Thx for your statement.

Last edited:
Meanwhile in Finland finnish taxi driver drives 1 million km with hes MB under 4 years. Veho who service and sell mb cars often use cheapest real approval oils to gain most profit. So brand can vary from year to year. Often they use mobil 1, Shell or Castrol.

News page is Finnish so you can use Chrome app and auto translate the page.

https://www.is.fi/autot/art-2000006242934.html

This says not to much. Cheapest oil with approvals all 4500 miles is in 1mio. km better than best oil changes all 9500 miles. And in Finland you have another "burden" than in Italy...

Therefore it may be more interesting, if we switch again to topic...

Last edited:
This says not to much. Cheapest oil with approvals all 4500 miles is in 1mio. km better than best oil changes all 9500 miles. And in Finland you have another "burden" than in Italy...

Therefore it may be more interesting, if we switch again to topic...

This tell you that approved MB oils works.That was my point.

What do you mean about a "another burden in Finland"??

This is the topic. Approved oils! Authorized MB dealers in Finland dont mess with oils.

And please dont compere italy to Finland

Please dont compare Finland and Singapore.

never did that? are you on drugs?

1. Merc taxis:
- taxi firms having pumps for change the engine oil between services (and also many fueal stations having to this day such pumps in the EU)

2. Engine oils are developed now in equally large extent for engines AND they emission systems. Its on many parts, compromises. Felt, the more they protect emission system, than less they protect the engine.

If you are a lucky guy and you have a car only with classical 2 catalysts, you must not go such compromises with oil. With a AMG you must (luckily) not use baloney high tech rubbish 229.52, than is developed (like 508 or LL14FE) for one lap WLTP and in order for cars specifications, and not for your daily driving.

You want one with such wee-wee oils in your engine: You want new materials or new coats (or both). And this is more expensive than expensive emission systems. Therefore car manufacturers make now specifications as a balancing act "going long enough" between emission systems and engine.
"Long enoguh" mean for manufacturer, long enough to withdraw from responsibilities to customers.

His friend is right.

But ok. Its clearly, than if a one make his bread with developing such oils, his opinion about such oils is highly impartial. If I wants know how good anything is, I ask the developer/manufacturer of it. Of course... Thx for your statement.

No taxi station changes the oil before oil service overhere. Dont even think you live inside EU since 99% what you say is BS.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
never did that? are you on drugs?
Can you for first finish Torvalds-conversation-style please? Thanks.

Last edited:
1. Merc taxis:

His friend is right.

Yeah, I see where problem is.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Yeah, I see where problem is.
Yep. I appreciate it also, after reading your post. Very detailed appraisal with the theme. You ignore personal differences and stays on topic.

Good job.

Hi Gents,

Thanks for all the comments and discussion.

@Lowflyer - YES! I can get Penrite here in Singapore and I was thinking about HPR5 5w40 (With Extra 10 and Added Zinc) - The Zinc in this oil is around 1200ppm and looks good on paper. The only concern I had was people saying Penrite can lead to some sludge buildup - some people love Penrite and others think it is not worth the premium price.

How long have you been using Penrite? What Spec? You rekon its fine for a daily driver?

Hi Gents,

@Lowflyer - YES! I can get Penrite here in Singapore and I was thinking about HPR5 5w40 (With Extra 10 and Added Zinc) - The Zinc in this oil is around 1200ppm and looks good on paper. The only concern I had was people saying Penrite can lead to some sludge buildup - some people love Penrite and others think it is not worth the premium price.

How long have you been using Penrite? What Spec? You rekon its fine for a daily driver?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/532720-oil-confusion-2.html

M1 0w40 has 1100 zinc and seems to be loved by AMG folks in US.
I personally run this oil in my MB and the car is happy with it.
BTW there's an OEM MB AMG oil out there if you're into a little challenge of trying to get it.

44D4F130-A095-43E1-B891-9E06A8CCB212.jpeg

Hi Gents,

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/532720-oil-confusion-2.html

M1 0w40 has 1100 zinc and seems to be loved by AMG folks in US.
I personally run this oil in my MB and the car is happy with it.
BTW there's an OEM MB AMG oil out there if you're into a little challenge of trying to get it.

The new spec now for the c63 engines is 5w/40 - 0w/40 is not recommended due to lifter bleed down issues.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back