Mercon LV vs Maxlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done the occasional drain and fill on the Fusion which calls for Mercon LV. Others on the board here have had good success with Maxlife and thats what I have been using. My question is, why is LV so expensive, it appears LV cost almost 3x as much as the Maxlife. Am I missing something?
Last time I bought Maxlife at WM I believe I paid around 17 bucks for the jug. MC LV is about 45 bucks.

I've been using it on my son-in-law's Fusion and all I can say is that it works a lot better than the black and disgusting stuff I drained out.

Mercon is Ford-approved and branded; MaxLife is "recommended" but Valvoline probably doesn't pay for licensing. Also remember that a large portion of "Ford" Mercon LV is likely sold through dealers, who pursue higher prices to fluff the books, where Walmart makes money on items flying off of shelves in massive quantities.

Personally, I used Amsoil ATL in my 2011 Fusion's 6F35, but agree that MaxLife ATF is probably 90% as good or better as all other fluids, when respecting the short OCIs that a 6F35 essentially mandates.

Depends on where you buy the MC fluid but it can be had reasonably. I personally use alternatives for most of my vehicles, such as Maxlife, RL, or Amsoil. However I am currently using Mag 1 in the F-150 and am very impressed with it, plus it is LV approved.

Motorcraft LV is $7 and some change per quart at O'Reillys and a Fusion typically drains ~4 quarts. Yeah, it's more expensive than Maxlife but for an add'l $10, I know it's 100% "approved". I'd like to use Castrol's full synthetic ATF as it is fully licensed/approved by Ford for LV replacement but it's closer to $10/quart and not available in 4 or 5 quart packaging. Where are you getting $45 for a "jug" ? Even if it's a 5-quart jug, it would make no sense to buy it that way vs buying 1-quart bottles.

I've been using Castrol Full Syn. which is Mercon LV approved in my 6F35 without any issues. I got it cheap ($2 or $3 a quart...I can't remember).... at the AZ CLEARANCE.

Originally Posted by panthermike
However I am currently using Mag 1 in the F-150 and am very impressed with it, plus it is LV approved.

Where do you buy that ? I know it's available from Rockauto and it's really cheap ($3.50/quart). I know Federated Auto Parts sells Mag 1 brake fluid and sometimes engine oil but I've never seen ATF in their flyers.

Originally Posted by pbm
I've been using Castrol Full Syn. which is Mercon LV approved in my 6F35 without any issues. I got it cheap ($2 or $3 a quart...I can't remember).... at the AZ CLEARANCE.

I went to 3 different Advance Auto Parts when they were supposedly clearing out all Castrol ATF. All 3 had Import Multi Vehicle and full synthetic Castrol ATF but all at full price. I was going to buy up quite a bit of either or both.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by panthermike
However I am currently using Mag 1 in the F-150 and am very impressed with it, plus it is LV approved.

Where do you buy that ? I know it's available from Rockauto and it's really cheap ($3.50/quart). I know Federated Auto Parts sells Mag 1 brake fluid and sometimes engine oil but I've never seen ATF in their flyers.

I've gotten mine from Amazon, think I paid 5/qt

Last year I did a drain and fill (approx 6qts out of 12-14qts total) with ML in my 2011 6r80. Seemed to help decrease the frequency of my 1-2 slam, otherwise no difference. Did another drain and fill with ML this year. Trans is otherwise well maintained and ahead of schedule. So far, every application I've used ML in it has worked well.

I use Mercon SP and it cost more than Mercon LV in my neck of the woods, You can find LV at a descent price if you shop around.

I've only heard of SP. Seriously......What are some of its applications or attributes?

I'm guessing it's ultra low viscosity for smaller, super trannies.

Mercon SP is used in fords 6R60, 6R75 And ZF6HP26 transmissions, The 06 Lincoln Navigator uses Mercon SP and a few other late model ford suv"s and trucks, I use Mercon SP in my BMW with a ZF6HP19 transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back