Which one... 2020 ILX vs Si Sedan (both base)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
A very loyal to Honda friend is looking to replace his 2000 Civic Si with something new. He's torn between the cars listed and isn't considering anything else.

The ACURA ILX:
$26
Engine
2.4L non-turbo from previous generation Civic Si
201 hp
180 torque
Transmission
8 Spd DCT

---------------------------------------------
The HONDA Civic
$24K
Engine
1.5T
205 hp
192 Torque (lower in the rev range)
Transmission
6spd manual

He asked which i would choose and i told him the Acura. I'd rather the NA engine in this scenario. The DCT gets good reviews, I like the look of the new ILX. Not much difference in price.

Which would you guys choose?

Last edited:
Wow I hope he holds onto that 2000 Si, they are hard to come by in decent condition. I've always wanted one. I had an 08 Si, so the K20 (2.0) with the 6 speed. This is a strange one from what I know of the cars. I would personally rather have the K24 (if it really is the same version that was in the N/A Si), but Honda's manual shifting is pretty amazing. I don't know much about the DCT in the Acura.

I haven't read great things about the newer honda turbo motors (fuel dilution issues, see it pretty often even on this site). So that would worry me long term. Of course the turbo motors do offer more torque but part of the fun of the Honda engines is reving them out. So again its tough.. I like the engine in the Acura, but the transmission in the Honda. What about a 2015 Si? Best of both worlds
thumbsup2.gif

Well, how old is he? Or rather how old is he trying to be?

Same-ish platform, just different clothing and makeup.

Originally Posted by ZebRuaj

Good question and pertinent indeed.

49, married with two small children. His "cap backwards" days are over but he still enjoys a spirited drive every so often.

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by ZebRuaj

Good question and pertinent indeed.

49, married with two small children. His "cap backwards" days are over but he still enjoys a spirited drive every so often.

In that case, I'd recommend the ILX (and I NEVER recommend that vehicle under any circumstance).

Out of those two, the ILX

DO NOT ever get a Honda with the 1.5T they are horrible
mad.gif

Even though the ILX has a DCT, Honda put a torque converter in it, which gives it a big improvement over other such transmissions

The 1.5T has deserved reputation for fuel dilution. I have an Acura 8 speed DCT and it's terrific. So, ILX, hands-down.

I belive the Acura is using a dated Civic platform. I thrill what they prefer is best but the Acura may not be a better car despite the luxury treatment.

Originally Posted by wemay
A very loyal to Honda friend is looking to replace his 2000 Civic Si with something new. He's torn between the cars listed and isn't considering anything else.

The ACURA ILX:
$26
Engine
2.4L non-turbo from previous generation Civic Si
201 hp
180 torque
Transmission
8 Spd DCT

---------------------------------------------
The HONDA Civic
$24K
Engine
1.5T
205 hp
192 Torque (lower in the rev range)
Transmission
6spd manual

He asked which i would choose and i told him the Acura. I'd rather the NA engine in this scenario. The DCT gets good reviews, I like the look of the new ILX. Not much difference in price.

Which would you guys choose?

Acura. Hands down. It has a much better engine.

Speaking of that, I got into it with a Civic SI on the freeway. Google Images says its a 2006-2009. It was pretty loud, but exhaust looked stock?

Last edited:
I love me some Honda, but right now, as with ANY new engine production for ANY manufacturer, Honda has a few bugs to work out on the 1.5T. My wife's CRV has it and it's been a good engine, no oil dilution issues but she does drive about 90 miles a day. I'd lean towards the Acura for now. Her CRV is sweet....that thing will simple haul. Lots of room and tons of creature features that I'm still figuring out.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
I love me some Honda, but right now, as with ANY new engine production for ANY manufacturer, Honda has a few bugs to work out on the 1.5T. My wife's CRV has it and it's been a good engine, no oil dilution issues but she does drive about 90 miles a day. I'd lean towards the Acura for now. Her CRV is sweet....that thing will simple haul. Lots of room and tons of creature features that I'm still figuring out.

Mazda seems to know how to make an engine without screwing it up, the first time, consistently. Their SkyActiv series of engines AND transmissions have proven to be extremely reliable from the get-go. There was 1 programming tweak needed with the new cylinder deactivation, but it's done and issue solved after just a few failures, which Mazda handled. The transmissions, a few bad parts from a supplier slipped through QA/QC, about 4 years ago, and Mazda handled that, too. Literally every engine they sell in America is pure gold. Direct injection, some NA, some turbo, NONE have fuel dilution issues, or valve deposit problems, or anything. They all use timing CHAINS. Just good stuff! (the new Diesel? Well...not out long enough, here, but I'm NOT a fan).

Toyota seems to have figured out how to make an engine correctly, the first time, without screwing up, as well.

I am sure there are others, but those are the two stand-outs that are pushing the edge of performance and efficiency within their classes without any meaningful slip-ups or quirks.

Acura if it had to be only those. Or golf sportwagen awd with a stage 1 tune, his choice of dsg or 6mt.
Civic type R is probably what he really wants.

DO NOT ever get a Honda with the 1.5T they are horrible
mad.gif

Even though the ILX has a DCT, Honda put a torque converter in it, which gives it a big improvement over other such transmissions[/quote]

What exactly is horrible about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back