Moving up in size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update I called around and got a quote of 135 per wheel to powder coat my wheels. That's about what a new wheel would cost.

Originally Posted by ram_man
Update I called around and got a quote of 135 per wheel to powder coat my wheels. That's about what a new wheel would cost.

$135 is about 25% of the cost of a quality wheel.

I would not buy $135 wheels. Unless it's a steelie.

On my 99 Saturn SL2 biggest handling difference was new KYB struts front and back. Second, I hatted OEM 15 inch aluminum rims. Always leaked. Bought four 14" steel rims for $5.99 each. Installed T-Rated RT43's. That was my favorite combination on that car. Took turns great. Felt more agile which I liked. With tires there are so many variables. I have H-Rated RT43's on my 2017 Elantra. They are OK. Great with bad weather and in turns. But liked the softer T-Rated ones. Your experience may vary from mine.

Dude - call me whatever you like.

I answered your question: save the money. A Saturn isn't worth the $500+ in wheels. You'll never know the difference.

But then you want to argue why it makes sense to do this?

It doesn't. But I'm not the one who keeps changing his mind, spending money he really doesn't have, on junk.

I thought the Dart was gone a while ago, no?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...g-several-hours-to-buy-a-car#Post4813996

Hey everyone, so I am selling my dart and am going to buy a car that's paid for. Going to call it my Dave Ramsey mobile. Anyway I want a Saturn s series and I want a manual everything else isnt important to me
Which I realize this makes buying a cheap car harder but I found one that looks great its in Nashville. So quite a ways I cannot find any decent s series near me. Would you drive to buy a car like that? Am I crazy for even considering it? I want to spend no more than 2,000 what do you all think?

You refer to Dave Ramsey in this and other threads...

But then you want to spend $500+ on wheels for a Saturn?

While making payments on the Dart?

And buying another car/minivan/SUV on credit?

And considering buying, what was it, a manufactured home?

What would Dave Ramsey tell you?

Seriously...

What do you think he would say?

You asked for advice in a public forum.

Don't whine when you get an answer you don't like.

I would not spend that kind of money on an old Saturn. Strip the clearcoat, refinish the metal, paint if it was originally, use a 2K clear coat, and switch to ceramic brake pads if you aren't already using them, to save the clear coat.

If you want to do all 4 wheels, okay but then you can go different directions if it doesn't have to look stock, like polishing and sealing (wax like) instead of painting, or clearcoating without a color coat.

These are all things you can DIY, no need to pay someone to powder coat all the wheels on that.

If you really want to change tire size, and are a Saturn enthusiast, then surely you are a member of a Saturn owner's website forum and should ask there about wheel and tire size benefits and clearance issues... keeping in mind that a lot of owners would have spent the money on this when their vehicles were younger to get more value out of it. Once a vehicle nears $1K value, you should look to minimize upgrades and just focus on maintaining what's there.

If you really think this vehicle is going to become a museum piece someday, I would do a sanity check by seeing what its Edmund's book value is. Museum pieces hold their value.

Last edited:
Best thread of the day!
35.gif

FWIW OP, I'd buy a nice set of some 17's. Something that'll show off the lines of that fancy ride!
....I'd then decide against it, because it's value will only be as great as many other GM vehicles from the 80's
(i.e. Pontiac Sunbird, diesel powered Chevette, Cadillac Cimarron, Pontiac 6000 STE etc.)

whatever you choose, good luck!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Astro14

Dude - call me whatever you like.

I answered your question: save the money. A Saturn isn't worth the $500+ in wheels. You'll never know the difference.

But then you want to argue why it makes sense to do this?

It doesn't. But I'm not the one who keeps changing his mind, spending money he really doesn't have, on junk.

I thought the Dart was gone a while ago, no?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...g-several-hours-to-buy-a-car#Post4813996

Hey everyone, so I am selling my dart and am going to buy a car that's paid for. Going to call it my Dave Ramsey mobile. Anyway I want a Saturn s series and I want a manual everything else isnt important to me
Which I realize this makes buying a cheap car harder but I found one that looks great its in Nashville. So quite a ways I cannot find any decent s series near me. Would you drive to buy a car like that? Am I crazy for even considering it? I want to spend no more than 2,000 what do you all think?

You refer to Dave Ramsey in this and other threads...

But then you want to spend $500+ on wheels for a Saturn?

While making payments on the Dart? Once again it'll be paid off in 6 months . I should have never financed a car period. I was younger and dumber. But am still paying it off in half the time. It is for sale if someone wants to buy it it's gone if not I'll pay it off whatever happens first is fine either way the debt will be gone

And buying another car/minivan/SUV on credit? No. Not doing that it was talked about in a previous thread but I'd rather pay cash and that's the plan.

And considering buying, what was it, a manufactured home?
Didn't buy anything yet currently have a contract on a brick him with new roof and new HVAC. Once again just because things are discussed doesn't mean much. We all talk about things. Get other view points gain knowledge. I did consider one manfucatured home it was a friends on land the price wasn't bad but we didn't do it. You assume you know so much. You should really quit assuming!

What would Dave Ramsey tell you?

Seriously...

What do you think he would say?

You asked for advice in a public forum.

Don't whine when you get an answer you don't like.

Nobody is whining. Pretty easy to see that. You have some sort of God complex.
The Saturn is paid for and is a play toy of sorts I've owned many Saturn's and I plan to keep this around for a long long time. I don't think Dave Ramsey or anyone else would say much about buying the car new wheels in cash as long as I'm not financing anything and I know it's a hobby and I have the means necessary to do so.
You seem to be the only one with an issue about it. I am sorry your life is such that you have to come and berate others that you do not know on an online forum. All because the person in question asked about wheels and tires..... Get a grip! Or a psychiatrist which ever helps faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Dave9
I would not spend that kind of money on an old Saturn. Strip the clearcoat, refinish the metal, paint if it was originally, use a 2K clear coat, and switch to ceramic brake pads if you aren't already using them, to save the clear coat.

If you want to do all 4 wheels, okay but then you can go different directions if it doesn't have to look stock, like polishing and sealing (wax like) instead of painting, or clearcoating without a color coat.

These are all things you can DIY, no need to pay someone to powder coat all the wheels on that.

If you really want to change tire size, and are a Saturn enthusiast, then surely you are a member of a Saturn owner's website forum and should ask there about wheel and tire size benefits and clearance issues... keeping in mind that a lot of owners would have spent the money on this when their vehicles were younger to get more value out of it. Once a vehicle nears $1K value, you should look to minimize upgrades and just focus on maintaining what's there.

If you really think this vehicle is going to become a museum piece someday, I would do a sanity check by seeing what its Edmund's book value is. Museum pieces hold their value.

I may do just that just redo what I have myself and be done.
But once again I don't care about it being worth not much money. I don't care about it not being popular, none of that matters to me at all.
What matters to me is this. It's a cheap car it's cheap to own it's cheap to drive and maintain and I don't mind throwing a little cash at it to keep it how I want it to be. Sure it's no an investment but sometimes in life you do things for the enjoyment factor and not because of the money of it.
Some people drink or go to the bar. Some people smoke and alot of folks vape. Some people have shoe collections or tons of video games. Me I don't do any of that all I do is my car stuff and particularly the Saturn's. It's where I want my focus to be.
I would imagine my habit is cheaper than a lot of other people's habits.
It'll never be in a museum it'll never be anything special to anyone else. But it's what I like and I'm entitled to like what I like just as anyone else is.
I enjoy the little car and just want to make it mine and enjoy it.

Astro has some sound financial advice. Harsh as it may be to hear.

I'm reminded of a guy that had a thing for Chevy Vega's. He desperately wanted me to install a V8 in the piece of , ahem, car. I told him the job would cost more by far than the car was worth, he didn't care, and kept pestering. He didn't have a pot to [censored] in, and I didn't want to take advantage of him. I eventually caved, he gave me what amounted to his life savings, and he was thrilled with the result for a few days until he crashed it and totaled it, due to not being familiar with a high power-to-weight ratio.

It's pretty simple on a car like that. Just paint, or plasti-dip the wheels, and spend the money on the best 205/60-15 H rated tire you can find. I've seen many people spend a ton of money on big shiny new wheels, and then put the cheapest POS tires on it they can find.

Last edited:
lol.gif

Shoot the messenger, much?

I only know what you've posted about your life.

Which you do a lot.

You're upside down on the Dart. You're struggling with what to buy next. You've got kids on the way. You're looking at houses in the $80K range.

Need links? They're your words. Your posts.

In that context, spending roughly a month's mortgage payment on making a 17 year old Saturn look and handle better is foolish.

Don't do it.

Please.

I'm trying to help you here.

Even if you don't want to hear it.

I may do just that just redo what I have myself and be done.
But once again I don't care about it being worth not much money. I don't care about it not being popular, none of that matters to me at all.
What matters to me is this. It's a cheap car it's cheap to own it's cheap to drive and maintain and I don't mind throwing a little cash at it to keep it how I want it to be. Sure it's no an investment but sometimes in life you do things for the enjoyment factor and not because of the money of it.
Some people drink or go to the bar. Some people smoke and alot of folks vape. Some people have shoe collections or tons of video games. Me I don't do any of that all I do is my car stuff and particularly the Saturn's. It's where I want my focus to be.
I would imagine my habit is cheaper than a lot of other people's habits.
It'll never be in a museum it'll never be anything special to anyone else. But it's what I like and I'm entitled to like what I like just as anyone else is.
I enjoy the little car and just want to make it mine and enjoy it.

Some people here just cannot wrap their minds around cars as a hobby.
02.gif

Last edited:
Yes I'm looking for a affordable house I am pretty even on the dart as it stands now I'm not sure what your big issue seems to be. .the car is a hobby it's not about money or making an investment it's a darn hobby.
I am more than financially stable enough to afford to buy wheels and good tires. Or redo the wheels whatever I decide. [censored] I could go out and buy half a dozen saturn's right now without an issue.
So stop assuming my financial situation based on limited amounts of information and move along.

Last edited:
If 3/4 look good, I'd do some searching online for a 4th that look good too and have it mounted with your new tires. Then throw the extra in the trunk as a full sized spare.

If only one needs work take it to a wheel repair shop and have them clean it up. More cost effective than four new wheels and likely more expensive tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back