Best brand for rechargeable AAs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am type 1 diabetic and use an insulin pump which runs on a AA battery. Using a "standard" alkaline battery I get about 3 weeks of use before the "low battery" warning happens and I need to change it out.

I found an old Thunderbolt Magnum (Harbor Freight) rechargable AA in my junk drawer so I threw it on my Tenergy charger for 8 hours. In my insulin pump, the rechargeable battery lasted almost a month and a half before it needed changed.

I want to just keep using rechargeables since it lasted so much longer, but I want advice on which brand rechargeable AA batteries are best. Ideally I want 1500mAh+ capacity and a battery that won't lose a lot of charge if in storage a long time.

I have heard good things about Eneloop but they are a bit expensive. I have used Energizers in the past with no troubles but I still want some advice or other options before I pick up a set.

Will definitely give that a watch. I love Project Farm, but I do not think I have seen that video.

Amazon has decently priced AA rechargable batteries. They're basically a commodity now so their basic brands are decent.

Made in Japan Eneloop. There is one factory in the world that makes them and they are the best in the industry. Period.

It's a medical device. Cost should NOT be a factor. Don't be cheap to save $5. Just buy the Eneloop batteries. The white version, not the PRO black version. The pro batteries don't last as long and self discharge faster than the white ones.

Rechargeable batteries are 1.2 volts instead of 1.5 volts, and I have seen this cause issues with certain devices. If the device has issues with the lower voltage, I'd run the Energizer lithium batteries. They are fantastic and would probably last 3 times as long as a set of alkalines.

Eneloop, or Fujitsu (the new factory owner's brand of the same thing), or the Amazon relabled version IF made in Japan.

All of these their low self discharge cells rated for approx 2000mAh.

I agree with bubbatime, cost shouldn't be a factor when you are only paying single-digit dollars more a pack, but if you want to be really cheap, I've had decent results with Tenergy Centura cells, but they do self discharge a little faster, their defect rate is higher, and their diameter is ever so slightly larger so once in a while I find a device with a tight battery compartment that they won't fit in.

One thing people often overlook is using a high quality, modern charger. You can have the best cells in the world and cook them from overcharge with a poor charger, or even some smart chargers will terminate their fast charge below 90%, but throw up a done charging indicator with the user unaware that they would need to leave the cells in for another few hours to top off the cells with the charger's trickle charge mode it enters at the end of the rapid charge period.

I found an old Thunderbolt Magnum (Harbor Freight) rechargable AA in my junk drawer so I threw it on my Tenergy charger for 8 hours. In my insulin pump, the rechargeable battery lasted almost a month and a half before it needed changed.

This is a very surprising result, from an old cell that had been sitting unused. HF rechargeable batteries are junk, with high self discharge, and one sitting unused should have needed at least one full charge and discharge cycle to get back to a good capacity. If HF now sells something newer that is LSD (low self discharge), it might fare a bit better but I doubt that's what you have since you wrote "old", and it is not likely to be as good as Eneloops or their relabels mentioned initially.

Panasonic Eneloop, which are relabelled at Ikea(make sure they are made in Japan) and as Duracell Rechargeable. I use them in all my bike/outdoor lighting and my camera flash.

I'd also carry a spare high-quality AA alkaline or Li-based battery as a backup. I know a few friends with insulin pumps, I think they use the Medtronics ones.

I have had very good luck with Duracell pre-charged re-chargeable batteries. My digital SLR takes 4 AA's. I routinely took over a thousand pictures during a weekend without needing to re-charge. One set of four batteries lasted for 4 years and several hundred re-charge cycles. Make sure to get the pre-charged, or low self-discharge version of whatever brand you choose.

note: Two things will kill re-chargeable batteries. Charging at a high rate or letting them totally discharge.

Last edited:
Eneloop (Panasonic) consistently test out best in terms of extended storage time (5+ years) when charged, and number of recharge cycles. Their capacity is similar to AA alkalines. We use them for wireless keyboards and trackpads, flashlights, remote controls ... just about everything but smoke detectors.

Costco sometimes has starter kits for around $30 including AAA, AA, and a charger.

I've tried several other brands like Tenergy but they just can't handle the recharge cycles and fail after a year or two.

Eneloop.

Easily the best rechargeable batteries out there. I used a ton with camera equipment and it was no contest...! You can get them on Amazon.

I try to stick with Eneloop and its re-wrapped alternitives. I've sene EXCELLENT service life out of my old Duracell "dura-loop" re-wraps. Just picked up some Amazonbasics "Amaloop" re-wraps.

Last edited:
I can't recommend any Rechargeable Batteries, but,
if you want a Plan 'B', I have been buying the Energizer Lithium Batteries for everything in my house.
I have been very happy with them / They are NOT rechargeable.
Don't know how long they would last for you, but you may want to try them.
You can buy them EVERY WHERE !
[Linked Image]

I'd check with the insulin pump manufacture on use of rechargeable batteries. AA is the cheapest battery size. I'd try out Rayovac Fusion.
BTW, my beautiful wife has type 1 diabetes. She takes injections because of not wanting to wear a pump.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by buck91
Just picked up some Amazonbasics "Amaloop" re-wraps.

Are you sure about this? It's been reported for some time now (on some battery forums I frequent) that Amazonbasics are no longer Eneloops. I was shopping for Ni-mh batteries very recently and nearly all recent Amazon reviews indicate that they are made in China and perform poorly compared to real Eneloops. All the product data sheets (available on Amazon's site) state made in China. I would be very surprised to see a made in Japan cell (indicative of being an Eneloop) from Amazon in the last year or two.

For the OP, I've tried pretty much every brand under the sun, and these are my picks.. I have three battery analyzers (Opus BT-C3100, Opus BT-C2000, Maha C9000) which I use to test my batteries semi-regularly, thus my experience isn't pure conjecture but rather based on actual performance over time (most of my batteries are 4-5+ years old).

Eneloop (always does rated capacity when new, holds up extremely well over time. Have several AA/AAA cells I purchased in a 30$ Costco starter pack that are 3-4 years old and they still reach > than their rated min. capacity)

Tenergy Centura (other than Eneloop, best low self discharge cell I've used. I just threw some in the trash because after 6-7 years they were only reaching 70-80% of capacity. They do rated when new and hold up well, 6-7 years is pretty darn good for their price) have used AA and AAA.

Camelion-made batteries (available under many brands, including Camelion. Mine are Westinghouse branded. can be found on Amazon. These do rated when new and still do > rated capacity after a year. I haven't had them long enough to give any more info other than that, but a cell that doesn't have any meaningful loss of capacity after a year is generally a good one!). Available in LSD and standard cells.

Duracell Ion core(?) - Perform similarly to Eneloops

Harbor Freight Thunderbolt - Actually does rated capacity when new, though my AA's have lost 25% capacity or more after about 4-5 years. Haven't tossed them in the trash yet because each cell is still within 5% of one another. My AAA's haven't degraded a bit, still get 900+ mah out of them.

It's quite difficult to find good NI-MH batteries that don't flake out after a year (sometimes even a couple months) so the above are notable for reaching rated capacity AND holding up over time. Some garbage ones I can recall off the top of my head: anything Rayovac, anything Phillips, some Duracell (not all!), some Energizer, Tenergy Blue label (okay batteries but capacity way overrated), Tenergy Premium (rated capacity but useless after a year), there are plenty others I can't remember.

skyactiv - my insulin pump actually does support rechargeable batteries.

When I change the battery, when it first powers back on I get a drop-down menu:
>Alkaline
>NIMH Rechargeable
>Lithium

and I choose whichever one is what I just inserted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back