Moving up in size

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 02 Saturn sc2 has the stock aluminum wheels 3 of the 4 are in about perfect shape look wise. One has some clear coat fading. I'd like them to look a little "better" would you buy new wheels and go up from say a 15in to 16 or 17in? Is there any pros or cons to going up in size? Or would you just paint the wheels I have currently and save the money? The wheels are not bent or anything like that. They are still very much functional.
If I stayed with the 15in wheels could I go to a wider tire with a smaller side wall? Stock is 195/65r15 could I got to like a 205/50r15?
Would love the better handling a lower profile tires provides. Thanks everyone.

Tires tend to be more expensive when you go up in rim size, but you would get better options for performance tires as you went to 17" or larger.

Ride quality will decrease with a shorter/stiffer sidewall.

Originally Posted by ram_man
would you buy new wheels and go up from say a 15in to 16 or 17in? Is there any pros or cons to going up in size?
Increasing rim diameter and reducing tire sidewall height generally improves steering response at the expense of providing less cushioning, which means less comfort, harsher ride. But a lot of this depends on the particular tire mode you choose as well.

If I stayed with the 15in wheels could I go to a wider tire with a smaller side wall?
Yes, if there is room in the wheel well to accommodate a wider tire without rubbing.

Stock is 195/65r15 could I got to like a 205/50r15?

205/50 is not a correct substitute for 195/65. Correct substitute for 195/65 would be 205/60. You also need to look at load rating index. You must ensure that load rating index of the new tire is at least as high as the OEM tire.

What would I do? I'd ignore it and save the dollars.
wink.gif

I don't think I've ever outdriven my 195/70's so I'm left wondering, just how aggressive do you drive? [That's not a jibe, I tend to think of myself as an aggressive driver.] Then again, I drive a Camry, I wouldn't be able to notice "better" tires I guess.

I'd keep an eye on CL and see what comes up. You might get lucky and find someone flipping a set of rims with good tires. Also, go look up the bolt spacing, offset and hub diameter. You might find XYZ model is a direct swap, which then opens up more options. Then if you look up hub spacers (meant to just fill the gap on rims with too large of a hub diam), you might find even more options.

New wheels aren't going to make an ‘02 Saturn handle like anything but the econobox that it is.

Save your $$$.

The Saturn sc2 is not a rocket sled. I doubt very seriously a wheel or low profile tire is going to gain you a whole lot other than added expense. On a car this age it has limited years of serviceability save your money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton
What would I do? I'd ignore it and save the dollars.
wink.gif

Ditto. Wasn't the original poster the same guy who was planning on buying a house, getting ready to have another kid, and upside down on the value/amount owed on another vehicle he owns?
Save the money that you're thinking of dumping into a 17 year old car and put it to constructive use on immediate things that should be a financial priority. Or start building your retirement savings.

This post isn't about my retirement or any of that. I don't need a financial lecture. I watch enough Dave Ramsey to fill that quota ...‚...‚ yes it's a 17 yr old Saturn but it'll be around can long time to come. I don't drive it everyday. I have it for the sole purpose of keeping it around. I am an s series enthusiast. I know that may be weird for many of you. The car needs new tires soon anyway so that's why I'm bringing this up. It makes sense to handle it all at once .
And yes my mistake they are a 195/60r15

I wouldn't say I'm upside down on the dart either. I owe right around it's worth. That being said I will never ever have another car payment. Which was something many pushed in the minivan thread. I will pay this off in the next 6 months by a van in cash and be completely car payment free. This is the goal.

Last edited:
This post isn't about my retirement or any of that. I don't need a financial lecture. I watch enough Dave Ramsey to fill that quota ...‚...‚ yes it's a 17 yr old Saturn but it'll be around can long time to come. I don't drive it everyday. I have it for the sole purpose of keeping it around. I am an s series enthusiast. I know that may be weird for many of you. The car needs new tires soon anyway so that's why I'm bringing this up. It makes sense to handle it all at once .

Fair enough. For all we know, you'll do this out of your "mad money" and thus it wouldn't be anyone's business if it cost $10 or $10,000 for the upgrade portion.
thumbsup2.gif

If you're running a 15 inch wheel, that's not a bad size to start with. 14's were not my favorite, but a 15 with a 60 series was a pretty capable performer. My personal favorite is whatever combination gets me a 60 series tire when looking for road handling, or a 65 series if looking for a more relaxed drive. 70 series tires, while absorbing bumps and cracks the best become less relaxing for me since there's more wandering and corrections.

The interesting thing to do would be to look and see if you could find a factory wheel in a larger size, as the factory wheels tend to be stronger and lighter than normal gravity forged aftermarket wheels. Weight is not your friend and is probably a an equal detractor in "smoothness" as reduced rubber sidewall.

My favorite on my 15" 1997 legacy was 205/60/15, at a slight increase in dia. Since you are at 195/60r15, you could go to a 205/55/16 if the rim is wide enough to handle it, or stay stock and spend the money on a premium tire.

If you're looking for handling upgrades, I'd also be toying with struts and bushings. I remember the SC2-- the wide placement of wheels and long wheelbase provide a very stable grip while not having to overly stiffen the ride. The front wheels are pushed more forward than usual for a FWD car. It added some applauded stability and as I recall, you could toss the car nicely as long as you gave it some english to get it going.

I am an s series enthusiast.

Well, obviously that changes things.

Your OP came across as "What would you do?" type question, without specifying your sentiments toward the car. Most of us assumed you're talking about an old beater, in which case "do nothing" was probably the most sensible answer.

Now, if you treat it as a toy and some kind of collector's item, then obviously you may take a very different approach. It won't make financial sense, but most hobbies don't.

You can use this calculator to answer your sixing questions:

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

As to whether or not on the new rims...why not get the one resurfaced that is different? If you've been happy with the 15" tires all this time why switch.

Plus, it's a 17-year-old car, sinking the investment of new rims and tires isn't the best choice IMO.

I would do the powder-coating route as mentioned above. New looking wheels for a fraction of the price and trusted factory wheel strength. If you want to up the driving experience, you could always look into a more performance rated rubber compound for better grip.

Last edited:
Larger size rim = more weight unless you go forged and these are 2x the price. Weight is not good for much.
Larger total wheel diameter = less acceleration, effective taller gearing. So you will have to go smaller sidewall to keep things roughly equal. As said above, comfort is decreased.

For handling I would try wider tires. You can paint the old wheels. Mine were sandblasted so much they weighed half a pound less with the new paint. Certainly fell lighter and car is happier, turns in better, revs marginally better. Too bad they are my winter set...

. I am an s series enthusiast. I know that may be weird for many of you. The car needs new tires soon anyway so that's why I'm bringing this up. It makes sense to handle it all at once .

In general, it's good to go up in wheel diameter to allow a lower profile tire, which benefits steering response. If you can find 16-inch factory wheels used in good condition, that's the best way to go. But tires for 16-inch wheels are going to be more expensive than for 15-inch wheels. Do you know what the performance wheel/tire package was for Saturn S-series?

The diameter of your 195/60R15's is 24.21 inches.
To get about the same diameter in a 16-inch tire would require a 205/50 section, for a diameter of 24.07 inches. The next size up is 215/50, which makes 24.46 diameter. I would probably go for the 215 for the extra rubber on the road, but 215/50 is not a popular tire size.

Or, what tires are you currently running on the 15's? Maybe you can get a more performance-oriented tire in the stock size. Or stay with the 15" wheel, and put on a wider, lower profile tire. A 215/55R15 would have a diameter of 24.31", which is very close to stock.

I wouldn't say I'm upside down on the dart either. I owe right around it's worth. That being said I will never ever have another car payment. Which was something many pushed in the minivan thread. I will pay this off in the next 6 months by a van in cash and be completely car payment free. This is the goal.

Wait, wait, wait...

You still owe money on a car you bought five years ago?

And you think you're doing well enough financially that you can afford to blow several hundred bucks making a 17 year old SATURN LOOK BETTER?

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Astro14

Wait, wait, wait...

You still owe money on a car you bought five years ago?

And you think you're doing well enough financially that you can afford to blow several hundred bucks making a 17 year old SATURN LOOK BETTER?

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

You know what they say about assuming right? I never claimed to have bought the dart 5 years ago...... where'd you come up with that? I bought the dart 2 years ago and plan to have it paid off in the next 6 months. What part of the story did you miss? Or did you decide it would be more entertaining to just add your own nonsense to the story and call it your own....
It amazes me I make a post asking about wheels and tires and I get idiots like this saying dumb [censored] that has no merit. Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back